Anyone have a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, May 6, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If so, do you use them both or find you mostly use only one, if so which one?

Thanks

2. aleni macrumors 68020

1. bought 2.4ghz MBP alu, sold it because jaw dropped after steve jobs pulled out the macbook air out of the envelope. sold the MBP alu.

2. experienced core shutdown like hell, pretty disappointed, youtube stuttered. sold mbair.

3. bought UMBP2.4ghz for months until apple released a new mba with 45nm processor. sold UMBP2.4ghz

4.bought MBA 1.86ghz with SSD, pretty fast because of SSD, and happy with that but after months of use, really missed the processor power from MBP.

5. bought MBP15" with 2.8ghz custom proc, rarely used my MBA anymore, sold it.

6. watched UMBP17" presentation, drooled about battery life and the hi res screen. jaw dropped.

7. sold MBP15" 2.8ghz, bought UMBP17".

damn, that's a lot money wasted less than a year. i'm such an apple geek.

it's really convenience to bring MBA everywhere, but when i can't be much productive with MBA, i decided to use MBP at home, and when i go out, i took the MBA. everything synced with Mobile Me, but still it feels messy to use 2 computers at the same time, so i decided to sell it and stick with the more powerful one..

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I sold my 2.6MBP after picking up a revB 1.86/128 MBA. I just wasn't using it, since I have a desktop at home for file converting etc. The MBA does everything I need and is eminently portable, and it's my primary computer now.

4. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

A profligate, rich Apple fan.

My spending splurges can extend no further than relatively cheap games consoles (DS, PSP) of which I have owned many.

5. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

How about this. Go buy a new 15" MBP top of the line... then sell it to me 1 week later 20% off? Sounds like a deal to me... :D

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Picked up a Rev B MBA to go along with my 17" MBP, while it was light and sexy as hell, I like having all the power with me all the time, so I gave the MBA to my girlfriend to replace her 8 lbs, 2" thick Dell monstrosity...I'm her favorite person now :cool:

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Looks like as many have gone to the MB Air from the MB Pro, or vice versa.

Anyone use both machines? If so what purpose to they serve, I'd guess in most cases the MB Pro would serve as a desktop most of the time, and the Air on the fly...

8. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

You're not only an Apple geek. You are a rich Apple geek!
    And, one of the best :apple: customers, for sure...

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

Yes, I own a Unibody Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air.

I use both, but it depends on the situation. I mostly use my Macbook Air when I'm going somewhere traveling because it is light. I use the Macbook Pro as a mobile desktop between my office/home and I'll bring it with me when traveling if I am gone for more than a few days or if I have a lot of work to do as 2 computers can be a big help.

10. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

both is definitely better :) .... use the Air as a (high end) netbook for light days, and the mbp when you need your portable workstation... great combo !

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...iMac and a netbook for me achieve the same results...:p... for a lot less of my $$ (although in a year or so, I'll get some sort of MB when the processors get more powerful)...

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Jesus Christ, how much money have you wasted?

I bought a UMBP 2.8 in November, and picked up a 24 inch ACD to go with it in December. I then picked up a 1.6 120 Rev. B Air in January.

I use both; I use the air every single day at work, and I use the MBP+ACD every day when I'm at home, so I do actually get pretty equal use from both. I was worried at first when I bought the air that I'd never use the MBP, but that isn't so, at least with the ACD.

13. aleni macrumors 68020

A lot man. Not even dare to count all the loss.

14. Ifni macrumors newbie

Very Happy With Both

I actually have 2 MBP and a MBA. I have used a First Gen MBP as a home computer for years. I bought a modern MBP for work 6 months ago because my company tried to force me to use a Fatbook.

I recently got tired of carrying the MBP to a jobsite only to take a few notes or show a picture, so I bought a netbook. The bloody netbook screen was too small and I missed OSX, so I turned the netbook into my HULU computer and bought a used MBA.

Everything syncs beautifully with Mobile ME and my backpack is light again. I highly recommend owning both.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

- Purchased Air Rev A 1.8 SSD within a few weeks of release.

- JRDF in effect for about 3 weeks.

- Seeing more limitations in terms of runtime, charging problems, and system instability - which since it wasn't linked to the Youtube Issue, I was presuming to be something else.

- In to Applecare. Came back 'no problems found'.

- Approaching summer, see unacceptable level of instability while in normal Office-type tasks.

- In to Applecare a few more times. 'no problems found'.

- More detailed check offered. Purchase another Rev.A 1.8 SSD to a) see if problem is endemic, or isolated.

- Detailed check comes back clean. Problem found to be endemic, so now rotating the two machines in to Applecare... in three continents that I happen to be shuttling inbetween.

- Patience lost. Sell newer Air, attempt to sell older Air. So much for 'Macs keep resale value'. After lowballers, eventually given to relative. Go back to lugging MBP's.

Later:

- Purchase Rev.B. Subject to similar use in now slightly lower ambients in the Mediterranean. Problem found to still recur. That along with shorter runtime makes it even more of a compromise. Given away.

The Air is probably the Apple machines I've most tried to like. However in terms of it's internals and in terms of it's utility as an ultraportable it's ultimately a joke compared to what I'm used to in the Windows world. Only the shallowest could consider this better.

Currently, I'm using the 2.4 MB unibody as a needlessly heavier (as far as my Windows experience is concerned) but more useful / less issue-laden alternatives to the Air. It's not ideal, but (relatively speaking) I'm much happier despite the added weight and crappier screen.

The unibody Macbook is the only, and barely so IMO, alternative to the Air in terms of something that runs OS X supported and you can really carry with you all day - both the MBP and the MBP17 are more unwieldy.

The real problem with the Air is that in addition to the internal engineering problems, the runtime is now way too short for an all-dayer, and the same goes for a Macbook, but at least the batteries can be swapped out. The external battery solutions are also laughable compared to what I'm using in the world of computers which aren't shiny toys. To get the same power-saving runtime as the 1.45Kg extended Sony TT, I need to carry 2 extra Macbook batteries for an all-up weight of 2.6Kgs.

Apart from the three Airs, since I've had at least two Penryn 17"s, two 15"s, two(2) Unibody Macbooks, three(2) unibody 15"s and three(3) unibody 17-inchers in the last year or so for my own use (numbers in brackets what I have now) - and all of them have been either defective on delivery or been into Applecare at least once, you can probably gauge my opinions about them.

16. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

anyone else own both a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air?

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a 17" UB MBP, my wife has a MBA, which I've borrowed from time to time. But, last time I borrowed it, I still had a 2.33 17" MBP. I would have needed to carry the 2nd battery, whereas the MBA has a longer run time for the simple things (surfing, email) I was doing (also the feather weight is still impressive). Now that I have the 17" UB MBP, I probably would just use that (and have all my own apps, etc.). No 2nd battery needed, no matter what I was doing.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If only. I've tried it as my primary carry at the outset to gauge runtime and it gives up hours before my Sony's. Would have been nice if it did actually go 8 hours on a charge.

19. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I haven't had 8 hours, but I did get 6.5hrs. My test used more surfing, had 15% brighter display backlight setting and did 4 syncs with iPhone - all of which are more of a load than Apple used. IMO, it's not too much of a stretch to get quite a bit more if I adhered more strictly with Apple's test methodology. Even at 6.5 hrs, I was still impressed, but that's just me...

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not just you, but just Apple users who switched from cheap piles of crud. Those who switched or sidegraded may be less astounded.

My year-and-a-bit-old Sony SZ's get almost ten hours of like-for-like use from the extended battery for the same weight as a unibody Macbook with an almost 4-hour runtime. The new HP's I have on order to supplement the Dell Precisions for work-only use should match the 17MBP's real-life runtime for not much more in terms of weight - even while not equipped with an IGP - in addition to battery removal capability and if previous Elitebooks are any yardstick, undoubtedly better build quality for a life actually on the road.

21. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I like owning both the 15" MBP and MBA although I use the Air for more of a 'netbook' book and use the MBP as my 'main machine' ... the iMac is the house/wife's computer...