Anyone have a macbook pro that lasted for more than 4+ years?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Without the need of any repairs and stuff?

Browsing through the net I found a lot of horror stories of them breaking in only after a year due to lemons.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Well, I can't say yes for a MacBook Pro yet, but my previous computer (a Powerbook G4 12") is still running perfectly fine (besides the battery) after about 8 years. Never had a single repair done on it. We also have an old G5 iMac and G4 Mac mini that are maybe 5 years old, and they run without a hiccup too. I, myself, am using a 1st gen unibody MacBook Pro (late 08), and it works like a champ.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Mine's about 3.5 years old and the only repair it's needed was the faulty Nvidia card. Still going strong and I expect it to last at least until I finish grad school (another 1.5 years).

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ahh the 'net', The epitome of a highly reliable and unbiased sample population.

MBPs are like other electronics. Sometimes they break.

I too have had 12" powerbooks that still work to this day, which is far beyond what I expected. My 20" Cinema Display that i'm working on now is six years old and running like a champ.

5. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

4 years & 4 months old...

Black MacBook 2 Ghz Core Duo, I have had a couple self inflicted repairs (hard drive upgrades) that were repair Free of Charge by the genius bar, you gota love it. $1200 spent Sept. 2006 and I'm still using it Daily!

p.s. I know it's not a MacBook Pro, although an Air is on the horizon...

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

I had a 2.2 ghz core 2 duo macbook from 2007. Used it for ~3 years before I decided it was time to upgrade.

What was wrong with it? Literally NOTHING. I had a cracked top case and bottom enclosure, both replaced by Apple even when OOW,
    3rd party ram (4 gigs) and 320 gig hdd (3rd party). To be honest, I could've used it no problem until I graduated from Uni, but I had money saved up, and felt like an upgrade :)

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

If you baby it you might get 4 years otherwise expect problems. This isn't a macbook thing though this is all laptops, expect 2-2.5 years with no problems and if you get more be pleasantly surprised otherwise just be ready

8. Vurius macrumors newbie

I'm on my original Macbook Pro (1,1), a 2.16Ghz Core Duo machine back from July 2006. I've had the fans, logic board, IO boards, airport card, heatsinks, keyboard, hard drive, and super drive replaced (various times under warranty). I sent the computer in as it was having trouble with only 3 days left on my Apple Care warranty and they replaced pretty much everything. Since then, I have acquired a friend's macbook pro of the same vintage and use that for spare parts if/when I need them.

I just recently cleaned out the dust around my fans, as well as oiled them, and my temperature has dropped from 79C down to ~45C, so I will use this machine until the next refresh, at least.

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

My 2007 MBP 1,1 had the logic board and the screen replaced.

10. Suanmiao macrumors member

my 17 inch iMac G4 just turned 7, everything runs just fine and the screen still looks amassing!!
    24 inch iMac 2.4 C2D went for repare twice due to logic board and screen problem...
    replying on my one week old macbook pro 15 inch, hoping this baby can last for at least 4 years

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 15" MBP (2,2), 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD. It is beginning year 5 of service and the only thing I had to do was replace the battery once. I upgraded the RAM & HDD by choice, not out of necessity.

It's been a real trooper all along and I use it nearly everyday. I expect to get a few more years of service out of it too.

It was my first ever Mac and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

12. dimme macrumors 65816

I have one that almost 6 years old. It's been running 24/7 for the last year as a home server.

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

My wife has a black macbook from June 2007. Replaced the DVD drive under applecare - that's it. I've upgraded the RAM and HD. It runs like a champ, and she's taken it around the world. Solid computer!

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't quite yet meet this target, but my 2.33 17" MBP turns four years old next month. It looks literally as good as new because it sits on a stand, hooked up to external drives, external display, keyboard and mouse; it's a desktop replacement and has probably only left the house about half a dozen or so times in its life. The keyboard and trackpad are unworn, unmarked, not a dent anywhere.

The only repairs/replacements have been the battery (once). Its display, which acts as my second spanned display, is getting a little dim these days. Guess that comes pretty close to babying it.

15. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

My 1st gen 500MHz TiBook lasted from Dec. 2000 until May 2006 -- and it hadn't really quit then either. However, I needed to run a Windows-specific after-market Excel macro for a finance class.

So in Nov. 2006, I got a 2.0GHz white MacBook, which I am using to write this.

Short answer: no, I haven't had specifically a MBP last 4+ years, but I have some confidence that they might!

16. joehahn macrumors regular

I've had mine about a year and a half, and I plan on using it until it falls apart!;)

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My 1.83 Core Duo MBP is 4.5 years old but it's on it's 5th battery, 2nd screen and has had both fans replaced. :D

The first MacBook Pro's didn't go on sale until February 2006. :p

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Of course anything has the potential to break. But how many people do you know that are still rockin' the Ti Books? I know a couple actually. Those things are almost a DECADE old.

19. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Pah. Im still rocking a PowerBook 1400c/166 - Thats nearly a DECADE AND A HALF old :p (Seriously: best writing/coding notebook Ive got, with the best keyboard!)

20. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

Sure. I have a 17" MacbookPro that is a late 2006 model and is still going strong. I gave it away to a friend a couple of years ago and he just commented last week on how great it has been.

Forums like this always have an over-representatin of problems with "X" posts because no one posts "Six o'clock and all's well".

21. a.jfred macrumors 6502

My previous experience with a mac laptop was with the 13" plastic Macbook. The hard drive gave out after about 2.5 years of me owning it (I think the laptop was about 3-4 years old, total. It was running Tiger, when I bought it), which was an easy fix. I'd upgraded the RAM, and updated the OS to Leopard, but aside from that, it's still going strong (in the hands of my 13-year-old daughter since June 2010).

22. bambam1981 macrumors newbie

Yes

I bought my first Mac in March of 2006, a 15" MBP. Several years later my wife will not let me go buy a new one (I'd probably go for the same size/model) because this one refuses to die. I've had two issues with it so far. In 2009 I had to replace one of the fans after it died a loud and rattly death while I was playing Civ 3, and last summer I had to replace the battery so that wifey could take it to school. The only other thing I've done is max out the RAM. It is still used almost every day by her and it seems to be unfortunately working fine, even the hard drive and graphics card.

I had a friend with a more cautionary story. She owned a small powerbook and after three years the logic board bit the dust. Other than that, I know several other people who have owned Mac laptops without any problems.

23. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

My MBP from March 06 is still apparently going strong - sold it to a friend a few months back.

It had a new logic board at 10 months, but that was down to a known issue on the early machines with a high pitched whine. The Apple store replaced a rattly fan at the same time. Also used a couple of batteries. Got an upgrade to 2GB RAM and a bigger hard drive in 2009 and runs Snow Leopard just fine.

24. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

It maybe better to visualize if we create a poll.

Died after 4 years
    Died after 5 years
    Died after 6 years
    Died after 7 years

Still going after 4 years
    Still going after 5 years
    Still going after 6 years
    Still going after 7 years