Anyone have a small dent / chip in the iPhone 4 bezel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahbo, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ahbo macrumors member

Hey,

My iPhone came with a small dent / scratch / chip in the plastic bezel that sits between the glass and the steel band. It looks very similar to this example (not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewrex/4748252554/

It's a pretty minor cosmetic blemish, so I feel pretty silly going through the hassle of exchange even with my level of new gadget OCD. But I was just wondering whether any of you have gotten something similar and whether it's a relatively common manufacturing defect.

Thanks!

2. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

mine was perfect right out of the box, but might have a few cosmetic marks now :rolleyes:

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have a dent (that I unfortunately caused) on my phone and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. its not worth getting it exchanged just for that, but if your phone has other issues, then go ahead and try to exchange it.

[​IMG]

4. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Saving. That one does actually make me feel better. :)

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I dropped my phone for the first time last night, flew outta my pocket, it landed on my bumper on the jagged floor and fell backside down. Not a single scratch on my phone or bezel but it took one massive chunk outta the bumper lol. So relieved. Glad I put it on.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

its such a minor issue, and since the fall I have now received my Bumper. Once I put it on I can even notice it.

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Mine had one out of the box. Annoyed the crap out of me at first, but I'm coming to terms with it. I can't even see it regular lighting.

8. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

That sir is the tiniest imperfection I have ever seen posted on this forum. But on the other hand I feel your pain cause I'm a bit OCD like that too. I'm sure I have something similar, but without good lighting and a cool bokeh lens picture I can't see it. Relax and enjoy your phone. Its fine.

9. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've been feeling the same way. Would have been better if it was on the back side, as I can't help but notice it when I'm using the phone. Like one of those things you try hard not to think about and so you can't help but think about.

I have a bumper on its way (month wait, unfortunately). Once that arrives it will be out of sight and (hopefully) out of mind.

Thanks for sharing. :)

10. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

It's a pain being OCD like that! Especially when things like dead pixels, etc. are fairly common on these sorts of products. Feels like every Apple purchase is a bit of a nerve wracking experience! I'm sure these sorts of problems are a lot more common than forums lead on, but "normal" people would just never notice or care. Wish I was a bit more like that. My behaviour definitely drives my girlfriend up the wall. :)

11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'd be more annoyed with dead pixels to be honest than that, at least the phone is in full working order.

12. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

I had something very similar, but a bit of a bigger chunk was out, right around the volume button area. I am sure it was my wedding ring which chipped it.
    "fortunately" my phone developed a wi-fi antenna issue and I got an exchange at the Apple store, and I have been extremely careful handling the new one (which is blemish free) ever since...

13. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

I'd take a permanent black marker and touch it up.

14. nonnynz macrumors newbie

I purposefully haven't even gone looking for those! Would take my mind off a scratch, though... ;)

15. TattooedMac macrumors newbie

TattooedMac

Minute is ....... Ummm how i would describe that.
    I think its more than OCD :p

There are bigger things to worry about in this world. Put the bumper on, and USE the phone get on with your life and stop worrying.

Sorry but if your that worried about that, then you have bigger problems me thinks :)

Cheers

16. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Ha, yeah I probably should go see a shrink or something. Naww, I can step outside myself and look at things rationally, and know that I'm being ridiculous. But even still, like many other people on this forum, I still can't switch off that defective part of my brain! Sigh.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I dropped my phone like a dozen times the first day. I don't know why I had butter fingers that day. First time was without a case so I had a dent on the rubber gasket; subsequent times were in the bumper.

18. malim macrumors member

Recycle iphone 4

With all this problem some of people returning their iphone 4 for replacement, I suspect that Apple actually recycle back those returned unit and resell it. I don't believe they dispose it. So I suspect you might get not a new iphone but a unit that has been returned, refurbished, clean up, repack...

It's just my hunch.

19. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that's the case unless they change the serial number as well because mine is a week 34 unit.

20. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

What did you do, drop it in a parking lot? Looks really lucky you did not break your front glass as that strip got compressed pretty good right up against teh edge, the weakest part of strengthened glass. Ouch.

21. newskin macrumors 6502

I had one with the same small dent. Bugged me a bit but I forgot about it cause of my case. Everytime I clean it though, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just forget bout it.

22. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, newskin. Can't wait for my bumper to arrive!

23. newskin macrumors 6502

No prob, like someone said earlier, I wouldn't take the chance of exchanging right now. It's a shot in the dark since there's a lot of units that are defective. If yours is working good just slap that case on. Good luck!

Just looked back at the thread and you definitely understand everything I said above, so your good.
    Enjoy the case bro.

24. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Wow, what happened to your phone? I feel if I caused something to happen, it doesn't really bother me. I recently went to the beach and took good care of my iP4 (but apparently not good enough) since there are many scratches on the front screen now. It doesn't bother me too much though especially since I had to wait in line for my phone.

However, I hate it when stuff happens that shouldn't happen; like inch-long scratches from nowhere on the back plate when all I do is put the phone in my pocket.

To the OP: If your scratch is like the one in the picture, I think you are overreacting a bit. Mine came with scuffs similar to the ones made by bumper cases, out of the box, and it didn't bother me. However, everyone has different tolerances.

25. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Would you mind elaborating on that last part? Do the bumper cases cause scuffs on the phone? Can you link to any example images? I assumed the bumper would help my issue, not worsen it. :)