Anyone have a stuck/dead pixel they can live with?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Branskins, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

Hey everyone, I noticed shortly after I bought my Mac last week that I had a stuck pixel. I don't know if it was there when I first turned it on or not, but I have been trying to ignore it, and really the reason is that if people see it, they will think what I have is defective, when it is really only one pixel that I can probably work back awake.

My question is, I know I have OCD-tendencies, so I was wondering if there are people out there that have a stuck/dead pixel that they are okay with having on the screen!

Sorry for the weird post, but I was hoping to find some posters who have gotten over the fact that a pixel of theirs is dead/stuck.

2. Hannify macrumors member

I know people who have dead pixels and never even see them until I point them out. Then they kind of shrug and immediately proceed to forget about its existence.

I on the other hand have never been able to get over even a corner-residing single dead pixel. It just kills me. I used to tell myself that I would get over it eventually, but I never do, so these days if I receive a unit with a dead pixel I just return it immediately. It's not worth the stress :D

In essence it all depends on what kind of user you are. Some people can live with minor screen defects, others can't.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Doesn't Apple have the 7 pixel return policy though?

4. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought about possibly asking Apple to replace it because I read there are some Geniuses that would do it, but I do not know if I want to go through the hassle.

What if I get a new unit with more dead/stuck pixels? What if it was one stuck/dead pixel again that was even in a worse spot (this one is slightly above the dock).

I am debating whether or not to take it in and find out what they can do, but then again it isn't the end of the world for me.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I don't think for products that arrived like that. I had a little piece of dust in my screen, and they replaced the screen no problems. :)
    Also, is it just me, or is Apple's Support page screwed up? I typed in 'Dead Pixel Policy' and it returned results with 'Articles' and 'Resolutions'. lol

6. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

How would I prove it arrived like this? I bought this last Thursday :)

7. Hannify macrumors member

They do, on the books. But in my experience I have never had them refuse me a return for any reason whatsoever as long as I get to it promptly following the arrival of the machine. The key is to call applecare directly and state in very simple terms that you are unhappy with the screen and would like a replacement. This bypasses the genius system in which you are subject to the whims of an on-the-desk, physical inspection.

8. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess you can't. But it's within 14 days, so that should count for something faulty. Mine was around 3-4 months after I bought it, so I'm assuming they would replace it. Go in and ask. Genius Bar

9. Hannify macrumors member

It's all so tricky isn't it? There is always the possibility that you will get a screen worse off than the one you have now; and in fact this has happened to me several times.

If you take it into the bar and have a genius look at it, and he agrees to do something for you (which isn't certain), he will mostly likely send the unit out for "repair." What they'll actually do is simply swap out your entire top case, including the LCD. Apple has never admitted this to me, but I'm fairly certain they occasionally use refurbished, gimp parts when they do replacements. I once got back a unit sent out for an LCD swap that came back with an absolutely horrific screen (6 dead pixels, dust, lint, uneven and generally dim backlight) that had clearly already been rejected by some other user.

So my recommendation would be to get a full replacement if you can. To do this I would really recommend not going into the store, but calling applecare directly. Of course if you can live with the dead pixel, there's no reason to enter the apple QC lottery again, but one of the problems is that the longer you wait to see if you can make your peace, the more difficult it will become to convince Apple to replace your machine.

10. Rondue macrumors regular

man my Macbook AIR got 2 stuck pixels and a slight line connecting them, i took it to the genius bar and he wanted to replace it but didn't have the part. I wasn't from that city so I had him send it to Depot for repair, They halted the repair and said I pushed on the screen and caused the dead pixels.

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

i have one dead pixel about 5 pixels from the left of my screen... i noticed it the day I received this machine. I only remember it's there when I see dead pixel threads on MacRumors.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If it's a brand new machine and it's less than 14days old, why not just return it and get it swapped out. Don't even mention you have dead pixels, just say you're not satisfied with the product... or something.

13. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Aren't you charged a restocking fee you do that?

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U only get hit by restocking fee if you want your money back.

15. creon macrumors 6502

Apple is the only place i know where you can go in and complain about your product and the company will do whatever they can to make you happy. Take advantage of it and return your dead pixel so you can surf and watch movies in peace.

16. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh! But not if you want a replacement?

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why would they charge you restocking fee for something that's imperfect? According to Apple, your allowed 14days to change your mind, test, trial your new toy for complete satisfaction.. if your not happy, ask for it to be exchanged. If they won't exchange it for you.. then your have the right to demand a refund - only then you might be charged a restocking fee - some countries don't charge.

Technically Apple isn't allowed to resell your old machine as new and since it's imperfect, I don't see any reason for them not to help you out - your a new customer, a potential client who'll buy more products in the near future.

18. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

This is awesome to hear! What I thought would be a really complicated experience, it now sounds relatively simple and easy. I love my laptop, but I always have the idea that "well it does have one problem..." in the back of my head!

I will try to go Thursday to say what I can do!

19. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I have one near the middle of the screen.

It was annoying at first. It seemed to be mocking me every time I used my laptop, but I've learned to live with it. I'm glad that I got over it, because it's really not worth the stress :)

20. kasakka macrumors 68000

It really depends on where the pixel is and what type it is. Bright red, green or blue pixels are far more annoying than actually dead ones. My 30" display has a dead pixel right where the top bar is but you don't tend to look at it all that much so it doesn't bother me.

If the dead pixel were anywhere in the middle of the screen it'd drive me crazy.

21. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I just wanted to ask someone, if I go to them within my 14-day period to ask for a replacement, will they give me a refurbished one or a brand new one?

Thanks

22. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I have one black dead pixel about 25% from the bottom, almost in the middle. I only notice it occasionally, then forget about it.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I gotta big cluster of them on the left of my screen. But its not in the middle so im good with it.

24. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if the replacement is a refurb or a new one?

25. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It depends on what Apple feels like replacing it with. In your warranty, it states that Apple may use new or refurbished replacements. ;)