Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnicol

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to connect SCSI external drives to current iMacs? I have several old SCSI drives that I used with my Power Macintosh 7600/120 that I would like to check for any archiveable files and then erase and reformat before discarding. Are there adapters that convert SCSI to either USB or FireWire (1394)?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There are USB to SCSI solutions out there, but being a niche product, they're expensive.

Do you know anyone local who is into retrocomputing? It's become popular among many nerds today and anyone into retro computing will absolutely JUMP at the chance to help you with your problem. They take a lot of pride in recovering old data and such.

macnicol

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Would a multi-adapter-converter combination be a possible way? SCSI-50 to DB25 to USB? or SCSI-50 to IDE to USB?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Would a multi-adapter-converter combination be a possible way? SCSI-50 to DB25 to USB? or SCSI-50 to IDE to USB?
"DB-25" is very probably a parallel (printer) port to USB adapter (these are very common). No good.
And there are no adapters that connect SCSI devices to IDE controllers as far as I know. The other way round (IDE to SCSI) is possible, however, that's not what you need.

Your best bet is an older Mac with a native SCSI controller, or maybe a straight Firewire (or USB) to SCSI adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

I don't know the answer to that, but from having some legacy hardware that I continue to use from time to time, I can say that just getting the plugs to match up usually isn't enough. Often there has to be an additional interface in between to convert the signals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Another thing to keep in mind is that if your old drives are formatted as plain old HFS a.k.a. Mac OS Standard, Catalina or Big Sur will not be able to access them without some trickery. (I have no experience with that.)

Reactions: smirking

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
Best bet is to get a working PowerPC running OS 8 or 9 and install the scsi drives in it or externally, put it on a ethernet network and access them that way. Maybe there is a legacy Mac fan in your area that would loan you one to retrieve your data. You can use a FTP client to access a "web" folder set up on the old mac. Use Web Share Control Panel on the OS9 machine to set it up

Reactions: Amethyst1

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Justashooter has the correct answer.

You're going to have to find someone with an old Mac who can mount the drives and access them that way.

Perhaps the files could be burned to a CD (do you have access to a DVD/CD drive?). Or perhaps they could get onto a USB flashdrive.

There are probably data recovery outfits that could get the data for you, but be prepared to pay.

There might be an "independent Mac repair shop" around that has an old Mac that could be used for this job.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
Contact David, The Eight Bit Guy, on YouTube. He has restored many old macs and may be able to help you. He is in Dallas, so if you live near there I am sure you can arrange something.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
There are USB to SCSI solutions out there, but being a niche product, they're expensive.

Do you know anyone local who is into retrocomputing? It's become popular among many nerds today and anyone into retro computing will absolutely JUMP at the chance to help you with your problem. They take a lot of pride in recovering old data and such.
I've yet to find one. There are many advertised but they turn out to be SATA and not SCSI. If you see one, please add a link to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.