Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
i was just wondering what the big difference between them was when it comes to writing.

I currently work from my iPad mini writing a few articles per day, but would switch to the iPhone plus if there wasn't much difference between the two.

I think the size of the mini is okay, but it's just too big to roam around with without a bag.

Thank you

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
i was just wondering what the big difference between them was when it comes to writing.

I currently work from my iPad mini writing a few articles per day, but would switch to the iPhone plus if there wasn't much difference between the two.

I think the size of the mini is okay, but it's just too big to roam around with without a bag.

Thank you
Idk, but only you know how nimble your fingers are. I could not, others can. If you can go to a store, you should. Definitely do hands on - imo asking advice will not answer your personal abilities.
There is a vast difference in keyboard size and screen size for hand writing.
My iPad Mini 4, with a slim case easily fits in my back pocket. tbh, when I shop, I have my device and it must fit the back pocket b 4 I buy lol. I am talking about my casual attire.

Last edited:
Reactions: finy

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Idk, but only you know how nimble your fingers are. I could not, others can. If you can go to a store, you should. Definitely do hands on - imo asking advice will not answer your personal abilities.
There is a vast difference in keyboard size and screen size for hand writing.
My iPad Mini 4, with a slim case easily fits in my back pocket. tbh, when I shop, I have my device and it must fit the back pocket b 4 I buy lol. I am talking about my casual attire.

You must have some big pockets in those pants! :) There's no way I could fit an iPad mini in my back pocket.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Hmm, I do think one would need some kind of bag or purse to carry the mini on the go (I always have a sling backpack with me), or just carry it like you carry a book or something. Luckily there are quite many accessories that will suit your needs, from sleeves to small backpacks designed for iPads.

What I want actually is an iPad mini phone. When I bought my mini 2, I really wish that it is also a phone so I don't have to carry a phone as well. I think those ~5-6 plus inches phones are annoying. Meaning they are too big to truly be a phone, yet they are not big enough to be a tablet. The iPad mini is a comfortable screen size for a tablet on the go. So I rather have that as a phone, than a big phone. Android does have 7-8" tablets with phone functionalities, but they are Android (and those tablets are usually equipped with sub-par hardware vs the latest phones).

Reactions: RickTaylor and finy

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Thank you

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and an iPad Mini. Just stacked them and it looks like the iPhone 6s Plus is about 2/3 the size of the iPad Mini.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
You must have some big pockets in those pants! :) There's no way I could fit an iPad mini in my back pocket.
Living in Texas, shorts are my normal clothing. Yes there are large rear pockets in cargo shorts, but I have several pair of normal jeans that I can back pocket on as well. Granted the fit is snug, but not uncomfortable or damaging to the Mini, although on the 2, it always flipped the little button to lock the screen lol
Some of my older jeans won't work and I don't wear them because of that.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Mini still big enough to do more stuff on it

I have the plus and mini 4 and it's a great on the go combo

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

Thank you

It just depends on the apps you use. The difference will be layout of the app, and obviously the screen size. I personally prefer the mini for everything except pictures over my 6+.

As far as portability, it just depends on your wardrobe. I could fit the mini in any of my pockets in my cargo shorts, and into the side pockets of my work slacks.

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I have an iPhone 6s Plus and an iPad Mini. Just stacked them and it looks like the iPhone 6s Plus is about 2/3 the size of the iPad Mini.

Do you mind sharing the difference in typing speed?

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Mini still big enough to do more stuff on it

I have the plus and mini 4 and it's a great on the go combo

I could always keep my Mini I suppose.

Might be better than trying to get a few hundred dollars for it.

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
It just depends on the apps you use. The difference will be layout of the app, and obviously the screen size. I personally prefer the mini for everything except pictures over my 6+.

As far as portability, it just depends on your wardrobe. I could fit the mini in any of my pockets in my cargo shorts, and into the side pockets of my work slacks.

I use PlainText for writing because it uses a lot of screen space, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad on the iPhone. My main concern was just the keyboard size for typing speed.

I'm guessing Instagram will be better on phone and iMovie will be better on Mini.

Don't know about other apps.

The more I think about it maybe having the both would be best, so I can use the Mini when needed.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have an iPhone 6s, Mini 3 and Air 2. The phone is my primary device and has 128GB on T-Mobile. The Mini 3 is cellular unlocked 64GB and I use it for when I travel outside a good T-Mobile data network. It runs on AT&T currently. My Air 2, it's a base model of 16GB with Wi-Fi only. I use it for watching videos like Netflix, YouTube, HBO Go, etc.

It's a good combination for me.

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
currently rock the mini 3 and 6s plus combo. i had my mini before getting the plus and used the hell out of it, now with my plus i don't use the mini nearly as much as i want to. I want to get a bigger iPad but can't justify the price of the pro and don't want to buy a air two when thats a year or whatever old already

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
currently rock the mini 3 and 6s plus combo. i had my mini before getting the plus and used the hell out of it, now with my plus i don't use the mini nearly as much as i want to. I want to get a bigger iPad but can't justify the price of the pro and don't want to buy a air two when thats a year or whatever old already

Typing speed difference?

Please.

RoseGold

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
HONG KONG
I have an iphone 6s plus, an ipad mini 4, an ipad Air and MBP. They all serve different purposes for me.

My phone is obviously my main communication device, and some quick browsing here and there. I love the bigger screen for this plus all the texting and apping I do and some shorter emails.

My mini I always have in my handbag and is my computer-on-the-go. I browse the internet, read books and pdf, and write my more elaborate emails on this. I use it in bed too just too read before I go to sleep, I find my Air too heavy for this.

So then I have my Air which I don't use that much any more, juast as a 'couch device' basically if I want a bigger screen for a movie or video.

Then my MPB I use for (heavy duty) work and photo-and video editing and organizing.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
Currently have the 6Plus, Mini 2 and Air2.

I view my 6Plus as mainly a communication device (phone, texting, short emails).

I prefer to use my Air2 for everything else (web browsing, using Pages, Pdfs, longer emails, etc...). I used to use my Mini2 for these, but bought the Air2 due to the screen size and the incredible thinness.

I never viewed my Mini2 and 6 Plus as equivalent. The extra size of the Mini2 made it much more enjoyable when it came to writing. Not only was it much more comfortable to type on (the 6Plus was too small to type fast), but I would often use a bluetooth keyboard with my Mini2 if need be.

It seems as if you're writing quit a bit with your Mini. Personally, I don't think you'd be nearly as productive on a 6Plus. That extra screen real estate (although on paper doesn't seem significant) makes a HUGE difference

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
How do you usually carry the iPad around?

I keep the iPad mini 3 in my gym bag. Sometimes I will carry in my hand if I need for immediate use. I have the Apple Smart Cover on the front (eBay), the iBlason clear rear case (Amazon) and Tech Armor Ballistic Glass (Amazon). For about $45, those protection options still have my mini looking and feeling day one flawless.

Malte.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Sweden
I sold my iPad mini after getting my Iphone 6+, i just stopped using it as the phone can do everything i want and its always in my pocket.

finy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I keep the iPad mini 3 in my gym bag. Sometimes I will carry in my hand if I need for immediate use. I have the Apple Smart Cover on the front (eBay), the iBlason clear rear case (Amazon) and Tech Armor Ballistic Glass (Amazon). For about $45, those protection options still have my mini looking and feeling day one flawless.

I think that is why I'm scared to carry my mini around.

I carry it in the original box which goes in a backpack when I go anywhere.

I'll check out those safety features because they sound cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.