Anyone have an iPhone 3GS that...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

...has a flush metal bezel around the edge of the plastic?

Mine is sharp on the right side but the left side is smooth as can be. Please note that I am not talking about where the glass and the metal meet... I'm talking about where the metal and plastic back meet.

It's kind of annoying me because my iPhone 3G didn't have this problem. I just checked it out and it's smooth all the way around. I also have the white-to-yellow gradient effect going on as well.

Should I return it again? I'm determined to get one that's like my iPhone 3G was.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

One of mine has a perfect bezel (really, it's PERFECT) but it has a speck of dust under the display and another, larger chunk of debris under the glass about 0.1mm from the home button. My other 3GS (both 924's, white 32GB BTW) has a perfect display but a slightly raised bezel on the top right.

I'm really not sweating either. ;)

3. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Nope, my bezel is perfect.

My whole phone is perfect rather. No gradiented screen, flush bezel, great battery life. I'm happy :)

I honestly think your worrying too much.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Ah, I misread your complaint. You're talking about where the bezel meets the plastic, not the glass ... ? In that case (no pun intended) both of mine are perfect. My old 3G was not. But really, who cares? It's just a phone, man. And if it really bothers you, take some 1500 grit sandpaper to it (the entire bezel, I mean) ... You'll end up with a slightly matte (velvety smooth!) bezel that doesn't show fingerprints as easily and that is suddenly perfectly flush with the case. Problem solved. ;)

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Mine is perfect too!

I'd never even thought to check before I read this thread! - after all, providing there's not a noticeable gross miss-match, is it that important?

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, it used to kind of scratch my fingers on my old 3G. But after I took a little sandpaper to it, it was perfectly smooth and (IMO) looked better. :)

7. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my bezel as the op. :(

8. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

White iPhone 3gs 32GB right side is higher than left but not by much, was at the apple store today and checked the iPhones there, most if not all of them hand very low bezel on left and very very high bezel on the right...

9. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

Crap! That's really disappointing. :(

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sounds like a fairly common defect. If it bothered me enough (read: if it bothered me at all!) I'd probably take my phone back for an exchange. I'd show the 'Genius' this thread (showing that it's a common problem) and I'd also show them my wife's phone, which is perfect (showing that SOME phones are fine) ... I can all but guarantee I'd leave with a new phone. ;)

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Perfect bezel on my 3GS but I have had a couple 3G's with a misaligned one. One of them was so bad that it actually gave me a little cut. The good news was that I was still at the Genius Bar getting one with a dead mute button swapped out.

Despite the obvious design similarities, I'm finding this 3GS to have much better build quality than any of the 3G's I have owned.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just so that everyone is clear. I'm talking about metal being flush with the plastic backing... not the glass being sunken on one side. I think I'm going to try to get it exchanged for the yellowing issue and the bezel issue. This time I'm not going to leave the Apple store without looking at the iPhone really carefully.

By the way... one other tiny thing has been bothering me too. The sim card tray doesn't go all the way down. It sticks out a little bit (my iPhone 3G tray was flush with the rest of the iPhone). I think it should be.

Anyways... thanks for the help guys. It's weird you know... going from an absolutely perfect iPhone to an "upgraded" iPhone that isn't perfect is kinda hard on me. Every time I take my 3GS out of my pocket, I feel it scrape on my fingers and although it doesn't hurt or cut me, it still annoys me because my 3G didn't feel like that.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Oh Jesus. Here we go again.

For those of you who don't know, Spaz went through 5 iPhones when the 3G first came out until he finally got one that he was satisfied with. The folks at the Apple store actually cringed every time he walked into the store and many of them quickly went on break or volunteered to take the trash out.

Simply put, he obsesses over every minor detail (no matter how insignificant) and demands absolute perfection. And while I'm sure his own intent is pure, it's folk like him that drive the cost up for the rest of us.

Bryan

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I went through 4 iPhone 3Gs... which is a LOT less than some other people (I'm looking at you mavis).

I just believe that I should settle for less than what I currently have. It just sucks because my iPhone 3G is perfect in every way... if I could stick the 3GS guts inside it, I would. The only thing wrong with my 3G is that it is used and has regular wear-and-tear. It has a few cracks (caused by me I presume) and scratches, but those are my fault. With a brand new phone, I should expect the same quality as my old iPhone at least.

15. bk888 macrumors newbie

My bezel is not flush and the mute switch on the side is extremely loose and rattles like crazy. I didn't understand before when people complained that the switch would fall out because it felt very snug on my 3G. Now I understand why.

On the other hand, I have no other flaws and I'm not going to risk a return. It does appear that quality control hasn't been as good as it was but I'd rather have an uneven bezel (no light leak though!!! yay!) than cracks developing all over my phone.

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

My 3G exchanges were in the double digits. Why do you ask?

-light leaks
    -2 failed mute switches
    -screen failure
    -bum battery
    -cracks

Sure didn't stop me from being in line at 7am on launch day of the 3GS though. And so far, other than the small gouge I made on the bottom by the mic :(, it is El Perfecto.

Unlike TheSpaz, I never liked the build quality of any 3G I owned. The first is still the best.

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Mine is slightly higher on the right side. You can feel the difference, but you can't see it. I'm not going to worry about it though. Doesn't look ugly, doesn't effect functionality.. so yeah.

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Apple moved the bezel 1 pixel to the left on the iPhone 3GS.

Give me 10 minutes, and I'll provide you with an animated gif showing you what I mean.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

and oh how I laughed :p

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Spaz, I love you man (I really do), but don't obsess man. Don't obsess...

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Now THAT is funny. :D

Seriously, if the bezel is really a dealbreaker for you guys, just take some sandpaper to it. 1500 grit (which Radtech uses with their "Bezel Blaster" kit) works great.

22. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That made me laugh! Touché!

It's not that big of a deal... I just feel it every time I pick up my iPhone... that's all. I try to forget about it and it doesn't help.

Do you think sandpapering the bezel is going to make it flush with the plastic? I honestly don't think that would work. If I touch the plastic, won't it make it look dull?

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

It worked great for me. But if you're unsure, just take it back!

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

^this says it all^

Let it go man, let it go...

25. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Did it harm your plastic at all? Did it really get rid of that edge? I would love to try it.

That reminds me... if I use it on the plastic can I give my iPhone a matte finish? That would be cool!