Anyone have experience with selling a bed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleDApp, Oct 26, 2014.

1. AppleDApp, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I was discussing moving in with my girlfriend and if we do go that route we will have to get rid of at least one.

She has a double bed. I have a queen.
    She hates my bed. I don't like hers.

Both beds are pretty new. I don't want to throw the beds out they are in great condition. Do people buy beds used?

There will have to be some give. I was wondering what others have done to resolve this and how you got rid of your bed. Edit Or any other advice on moving in with a partner.

Thank you for the advice.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Politics aside, I have heard good things about Salvation Army taking your bed. As far as selling it, I'm not sure.

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Do you know if they give tax credit or something. Then there's always the issue of moving it to the salvation army.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I do not know, my old roommate donated his bed. Salvation Army came to get it.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Ya'll going to get a Sleep Number bed. :p

6. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Any particular reason to get one?

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You haven't seen the commercials?

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You can adjust each side of the bed to suit your comfort.

9. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Sell it on Craig's. Never underestimate what someone else is willing to buy.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You are selling the frame right? Selling a used mattress is illegal.

11. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I was thinking of selling both.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Depends where you are.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Most certainly. However, with all in-kind donations, agencies won't (or shouldn't) list the value of your donation. It will just be a generic thank you for your donation of said item(s). It is up to you, the donor, to report a reasonable value when filing your own taxes.

Might not be the best example as I was basically giving it away for free, but when I was moving out from Chicago, I was able to sell my mattress and bed to someone for quite cheaply. It was a great mattress at least, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking anything that couldn't fit in a sedan.

14. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I don't know for sure, but I doubt organizations would take these due to infestation risk.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I donated our old bed and mattress. They came to collect.

16. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I was able to sell an Ikea Malm (queen + mattress) on Craiglist pretty easily. Had a lot of interested parties.

Other beds I've just given away to family members for their guest rooms.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 603

There are all kinds of warnings out there about never buying used beds due to bed bugs. Not saying the OP has them but it may be hard to sell a bed because of this.

Years ago when I moved, I put my old bed out by the trash dumpster. Went upstairs to grab another box. Came down and the bed was already gone. Must have been less then five minutes. The bed was 30 years old at least. :eek:

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Selling a used mattress may be illegal in some places but not everywhere. There isn't a federal law against it, is there? Of course, the OP could sell the frame and give them the mattress.

----------------------------------------

OP, I know people swear by the sleep number bed, but I have had trouble sleeping for years. I would sleep but never get a good night's sleep, where I woke up feeling rested. I spent a lot of money on my search for the right mattress. I even started using apps for tracking my sleep. Right now, I use MotionX 24/7 because it interacts with Healthkit in iOS 8.

That said, the mattress that I wound up buying was the Serta iComfort Savant. I travel a lot and sleep in hotels. One week, I found that I slept better than ever, so I removed the sheets to see what kind of mattress. It was a Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze. That's a $5500 mattress set. The iComfort is pretty close in sleep quality for me but for under $2000.

Way too late in life, I found out that there are three things you should always buy quality over price:

• Shoes
    • Car Seats
    • Mattress

If you buy the best you can afford of those three things your body will feel much better.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you kidding? If this is even serious then perhaps it varies by state.

Regardless, I'll say that I'd never buy a used mattress, ever. I'd buy a used bed frame and have from a neighbor, but not a used mattress.

20. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

If it matters I am not in the US. AFAIK it isn't illegal to sell a mattress here. That being said, I probably wouldn't buy used.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There was a time in my life that I lived in college dorms. I wonder how many people slept on those mattresses. Then there was a time that I slept in Army barracks. Who knows how many people slept on those beds. I've rented furnished apartments before that had mattresses that were not new.

Yes, there was even a time in my life that I happily bought a used mattress to save a few hundred bucks. I'm not above it and don't have to turn my nose up. I'm glad that I'm able to afford new now but there have been times in my life, I was just happy to have a bed.

23. TomTomHatesCats macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

I don't know if it's illegal to sell a used mattress anywhere in the U.S. but with bed bug infestation rising, it's going to be tough depending on your area.

In NYC, it's tough to sell any used furniture these days because of bed bugs. A huge reason for recent infestation in Brooklyn is because of hipsters grabbing infested used furniture off the streets almost as soon as it's tossed out.

24. natsinicky macrumors member

OP, I would just put it on Craigslist, and see what happens. It might be kinda gross to buy a used bed, but you never know how bad some people might have it; someone might really appreciate it.

25. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Not the person that suggested a Sleep Number but I have one. I was going for back adjustments as much as 3-4 times a month. Once I got my Sleep Number mattress, I was going every couple months, as much as 6 months between visits at one point. Nothing else changed, just the mattress. I've had mine for just about 20 months now. It took a week to get used to the new bed.

Here in the US anyway, 20 year (pro-rated after a while) warranty and the price was relatively comparable to other units I thought were just as comfortable. Once you buy one, you never have to spend the $600 on the base (replaces the box spring) so you save that next time around unless you go to an adjustable base setup next time.

Southern Dad, I almost did the same thing as you (looking for the same mattress as a hotel). I stayed in a Hampton Inn one week for work and slept WONDERFULLY. I found that you can actually buy the same mattress and other bedding (or so they say) from their own web site. Never pulled the trigger.