Anyone have feeling we are going to see a iPad 2S?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wickedny5, Feb 8, 2012.

1. wickedny5 macrumors member

I certainly have a feeling we are going to see an iPad 2S, just like the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S, they didn't get a major redesign.. just internal upgrades. My gut is saying iPad 3 next year, anyone else agree?

Thats why the iPad 2 got the 2 in its name, the slim factor made it a redesign from the iPad 1.

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decides to do that.

3. MrKennedy macrumors member

Does it matter? Even if all we get is upgraded internals, it's still a new product.

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I don't think the same form factor is as big a deal with the ipad as it is with a phone.

Plus it's pretty certain there will be a Retina Screen. That is worth the 3 tag alone in my books. A Retina Screen means there will be a processor bump and hopefully there will be a ram bump. HD camera is probably on the cards as well.

I'm guessing...
    Faster
    More ram
    Retina
    HD camera(s)

They had me at Retina to be honest. I don't care what it's called.

5. MyiBill macrumors 6502

While I agree that I don't think the form factor will change I think we will get a full iPad 3. As the other poster pointed out theres only so much you can change with the tablet form factor.

The retina display, more ram, A6 alone would make it a true iPad 3, Apple is going to put in a new special feature that really makes it different than anything else.

If anything I thought the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 was more of a 1S because the internals were only slightly upgrade and the design was flattened out nothing majorly different.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

No, because iPads aren't locked into two-year contracts/upgrade cycles the way iPhones are. Why release a huge upgrade when a lot of the people with an iPhone 4 aren't eligible for an upgrade yet?

7. MyiBill macrumors 6502

True, and the 3G was a big upgrade over the original because the originals were sold contract free, but I may be wrong.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

They put in a new CPU, added more RAM, made it much thinner while keeping the same battery life, added cameras, and added magnets for the smart cover. IMO that feels like a major upgrade.

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

IDK about the contract on the original, but they had only sold a few million of them by the time the 3G came out. They'd sold easily twice as many 3Gs when the 3GS came out, and many times that of 4s when the 4S came out, so the contract lock was a bigger deal.

10. DanHassell macrumors newbie

Hopefully not, either way I won't be purchasing, but this 'S' business is getting a bit old.

11. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I doubt we'll see a retina display. It's going to be A6, maybe 1gb of ram, better camera and Siri. They'll use the Siri as the selling point. Next year it'll be the retina display as the big selling point. This is the Apple way. iPads sell like hot cakes, as do iPhones, no need to give us everything we want now when they can uses this as selling points for future models, also they'll do it this way so people who have last years model don't feel ripped off. Think of all the people who got an iPad at x-mas and only a few months later they release this crazy HUGE upgrade that's way fast, way better and way cooler this will hurt their x-mass sales, the biggest shopping time of the year. Apple will continue to make small updates each year, and it's smart on their end. They'll make it so most will want to upgrade every two years, that's imo.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

As much as I don't want it to be true, I fear this might be the case. Why majorly change something when it's dominating its respective market in its current form? The only reason I can think that Apple might want to change that small upgrade to a major upgrade this year is because this year is supposed to be big for ICS tablets and Windows 8 tablets.

13. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I think it'll be more of a software thing, like iOS 6 giving us a true multi task that alone will keep their following really happy. At this point am I or most of us REALLY ready to can the PC for a tablet? I'm just not sure about that yet and I think Apple feels the same. It's going to be a slow transition. Most now are using the iPad as a web browser, reading, games, apps, minor things and this is working out great, Apple should focus on this and making this experience better and updating the web browser and multi task would be greatly welcomed.
    If Apple was to make this thing powerful then aren't we really getting into what a MacBook Air is? just without the keyboard and a lesser OS?. It's to Apple best interest that the iPad and Macs don't mix because it'll be harder for them to sell us BOTH when we can just buy an iPad to do everything. Apple will keep this as a tool for school, reading, text books, web browser, apps, games ect and keep it away from being able to doing the things a laptop can do.

14. TLewis macrumors 65816

On the plus side, Apple needs something big like a retina display to stay ahead in the tablet race. Not coming out with a big visible feature like retina display would give Samsung and others a chance to catch up, and that would be a big mistake.

Anyway, we'll see, as the announcement should be in 7 weeks or less.

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It is exactly because the ipad is in such a dominant position that apple has to pay even more attention to current market trends and ensure that it remains at the top of the game. You may scoff and claim that will never happen, but if it does, it may be far too late for apple to reclaim its hard-won market dominance.

If you wait until other companies release strong contenders before thinking of how you can give it a overhaul, it would be far too late. If anything, now is the best time to ride on the strong demand for ipads to release the "next big thing" and lock in consumers' loyalty to apple for the next 1-2 years at least. :)

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

The only reason i'm not getting the 2 are the rumours going about regarding the retina display.

I'm happy with the design. I don't think they should feel the need to change something for the sake of pleasing the masses.

People think they need a new design but they don't. :D

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What is it with the whole "if it doesn't look completely different is is an 'S' and not a real upgrade?"

If your former iProduct no longer does what you need it to do and the new iProduct has more capability, then it is an upgrade. By not changing external form factor every year, Apple can save significant reengineer wing money and one can reuse cases and other accessories. It seems like tose lamoring the loudest jus want something visibly different to show off they've got the latest and greatest.

18. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Remember, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
    Just like for Macbook Pros, Mac Minis, Macbook Airs, iPhones, Apple doesn't need to redesign the 'already-perfect' design every year to please its customers. Like others said above, you can reuse all the accessories, cases, etc without having to buy new ones. This is pretty typical of Apple (iPod touch 2nd->3rd, iPhone 4->4S, Macbook Pro 2009->2011, iPod Classic, etc.)

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Either way, I have held out for long enough. Even if the ipad for this year is just a token upgrade, I am still going to splash on one. :p

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Apple can't get away with mini upgrades forever.

Anyway, I don't feel like we're getting a new iPad at all. I think they're trying to make their product life cycles last longer.

I mean, there hasn't even been an announcement. Not a clue or a hint. This close to March, if anything is coming it will have been a surprise.

21. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I don't agree. If they stick with non-retina for yet another year they'll be way behind the times. There's android tables out NOW with HiDPI, not quite 2048x1536 but very close. In a year's time 1024x768 will be really old tech.

I don't think Apple cares so much about releasing it just after christmas, it sure didn't bother them with the iPad 2. They might hold off on it for a month but they wouldn't drop features just because some people might feel bad.

People buy christmas presents anyway (and a lot of them getting a big discount at the black friday sales).

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The REAL reason people get upset about the physical redesigns (or lack thereof) is that they want people to notice that they have the newest gadget. If the 3rd iPad looks just like the 2nd one, how will anyone notice you have the new one, right?

I think this is stupid. The design of the iPad 2 is gorgeous. It's neat and clean, thin, relatively light for what it does, and just generally a beautiful design. There is no change needed in that department.

I would call a simple processor/ram/camera bump a 2S, and current 2 owners may skip this round. If it's a retina display, that's a whole new ballgame.

Either way, I already sold my 2 to pay for the next one, so I'm buying it regardless. Life without my iPad has absolutely sucked.

I will also mention that the latest rumors point to pretty significant shifting around of the internals of the iPad. We're going to get something new--it's just a question of when.

23. iWantThat macrumors member

Where have you been the last month or so? There have been leaked internals and rear casings for a new iPad all over this site and many more like it. There was no "announcement" until early March last year and it is likely to be the same this year, with the rollout a week or two later.

24. camardelle macrumors 6502

What I've read is that the iPad 3 comes out in March/April? I think it's coming.

25. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

You hope. You can't trust what you read. I read that it was supposed to come out last year.

That means nothing. Just like the iPod touch with vibration. These people literally make this stuff up. Remember the iPhone 5 in that bar?

Yeah, *hmph*