Anyone Have Luck Getting AT&T Upgrade Fee Waived?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I've been with AT&T since the early 90's and have always paid my bill on time. Is it worth a call to ask them to waive the $40 "upgrade" fee?

2. prominence macrumors regular

Use the live chat feature. Several have gotten in waived for just being loyal customers.

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Do you have a FAN account? People with FAN have successfully gotten their fees removed.

4. prominence macrumors regular

I do, but someone in the other thread just posted a screenshot asking if they could waive the fee as they've been a loyal customer for years. The CSR agreed and waived it. At least worth a shot.

5. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

If you have the FAN account they will definitely waive it. I had two fees waived last year for the 5S and I didn't have a FAN account. It depends on the rep that you speak to. I think the online chat reps tend to be more willing to waive the fee. You can always call more than once. Good luck. There's a thread about some people already getting the fee waived for the 6.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

As a landline customer? In its present form, the company that is providing your wireless service has really only been around since about 2000.

7. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Well, Cingular then.

Anyway, I just contacted them (I may have contacted the wrong department) They said no:

AT&T sales representatives are happy to assist you with your questions.

AT&T sales representatives will not have access to your personal account. This service is provided to you under AT&Ts Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    You are now chatting with Christian R., an AT&T sales representative.
    Christian R.: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I help you with placing your order today?
    David: I have been an AT&T customer since the mid 90s. I have always paid my bill on time and have done numerous upgrades over the years. I recently upgraded my iPhone to an iPhone 6. Is it possible to have the $40 upgrade fee waived?
    Christian R.: Hello David, I would be happy to help you today!
    Christian R.: Did you already upgrade to this device?
    David: yes. it is scheduled for delivery on friday
    Christian R.: Perfect. Currently we cannot waive this fee, but you can call in and ask to have the date changed if you would like. Also as soon as it is paid off, you will not have to worry about it for at least 2 years!
    David: I don't understand. What date would I request to be changed? And what re you referring to about "soon as it is paid off, you will not have to worry about it for at least 2 years!"?
    Christian R.: Basically you can have the date the activation is due changed. And this fee is one time only, so once it is paid off, you then will not pay it again, until you use another 2 year upgrade.
    David: I was already charged the "upgrade fee". I understand that it is a one-time fee that is charged every time I upgrade my device. I am asking that, in light of the fact that I have been a loyal customer for nearly 20 years, AT&T could waive this fee as a show of goodwill.
    David: That's quite disappointing. I'll certainly have to consider this when I make my next upgrade.
    Christian R.: We do have many specials and deals, so hopefully next time we can get this paid for for you.
    David: I'll most likely be going with a different carrier.
    Christian R.: I am sorry to hear this David. We do offer the largest 4G LTE network, and many great specials. Also with Next, or no contract there is no activation.

8. blunti macrumors 6502a

I had no luck with the first rep yesterday then I tried again using the only chat & was lucky to a nice rep the second time. She waived it on one of the lines I'm upgrading. Will try to go for the 2nd line as well tomorrow.

9. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

I was able to get two lines waived yesterday but it took a story to hit her in the heart strings. She noted on the account that this is the last time I am eligible to gets Fees waived. Well I got them waived 2 years ago and 4 years ago so I am ok with that.

What I am not ok with is living in Cali and paying taxes on the full price of the phone and not the subsidized price that I paid for it. 60+ in tax for a 400 dollar purchase is outrageous!!

10. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

An option would be to check the AT&T upgrade thread. It was 3 pages when I last checked.

11. joshuakhania macrumors member

I had a similar conversation with AT&T but in regards to having my iPhone unlocked one month before my contract ended so I could use it on an abroad trip. I was basically told that they would not unlock my phone but I could pay them 90 additional dollars to have the contract cancelled. Then they would unlock my iPhone.

I was also reassured that even if end my contract I can still keep my AT&T account. I assured them I would be choosing a new carrier if they couldn't good faith unlock my phone (10 days before the end of my contract).

Signed up with Verizon this Friday! WOOT

12. barnyard macrumors member

They waived one of the two upgrade fees I incurred for buying two iPhones.

13. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

Anyone Have Luck Getting AT&T Upgrade Fee Waived?

I had some great luck. I called and was like, "y'all better take that *hit off!! I ain't bul**hiting!! Charging me and *hit and how long have I been with you mother****ers?!!! She replied, "sir, there is no upgrade fee since you signed up on next." I was like, "that's what I ********** thought. You better listen to me when I've spoken!"