Anyone have problems going from 15.4" to 13.3"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nik73, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Nik73 macrumors regular

Hi, I've done a search and not found an answer to this. Forgive me if it's been done before.

2 1/2 years ago, after horrendous issues with the Macbook I bought, I made the mistake of buying a Dell laptop. I was suckered in by the "better" specs for the same money. :eek:

So here we are now and the Dell is doing it's crash and slowdown thing as PC's do, albeit a bit soon for this one. I'm looking at getting one of the new Macbooks, but am a bit concerned the drop in screen size will be an issue for me. I know it's the same resolution but has anyone else dropped in screen size and found it an issue? Sadly I can't stretch the extra £200 for the MBP as getting the MB would be a push. Besides, I really don't need the extra power. Obviously I've been to stores and seen them side by side and don't think it will be a problem but would like a bit of reassurance! :)

I'd really appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks in advance.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I own both a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. There is a noticeable difference in screen size although after about a week or so of use you get used to the smaller screen. I'm very content going to and from both computers and actually use the Air more than the Pro now, so you'll be fine :)

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I went from a 15.4 Dell to the 13 MacBook. I dont have any problems at all.
    Every once in a while when I'm editing multiple photos at once the screen can get kinda cluttered but you should be ok.

4. Nik73 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Nik73 thread starter macrumors regular

Super fast replies and the reassurance I was looking for. Thanks guys.
    Now do I use that £1000 to pay off my credit card or buy a MB? Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'd say your credit is important, but I could be just as guilty. I blew $1500 on an Alu. MB when I still owed my visa $2500 :eek:

7. mckvakk macrumors regular

Pay off the card and then use that to pay for the MB:D

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

went from a MBP to a MB unibody without problems.

very much like the - lb.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

the laptop i use at work is 15.4" and to be honest i don't even notice much difference when i use my macbook.

10. ankitsid macrumors member

dont they sell refurb MBP for the same price as the new MB?

thats what im confused about
    do i want a small nice MB or a lil bigger MBP for around the same price..
    im use to a bigger screen with my gateway laptop..
    but i wouldnt mind going into a smaller screen. since i do have a external if needed.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

if you don't know if you need the power of a mbp, then you probably don't need it. i like how "luggable" my macbook is.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Same here. Went from a 15.4" to a 13.3" and i LOVE the gain in mobility.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It's funny a few yrs ago I didn't buy the Macbook because it was a 13 inch and I couldn't afford a Pro at the time. Now that I can afford a MBP with no problem, I went for a Macbook lol

15. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

I know exactly what you mean. :D

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Back then all I saw was a big screen and power with the Pro and thought I would get one in a year or 2. So 2 years came (making more money at work, all my Credit cards paid off.. well 1 left with little on it) and I went looking. I saw the Pro and the MB and thought I didn't need all that power and the people at the Apple Store said I can exchange it for an upgrade if the 13 inch was too small. Well months later I still have it and I'm very happy with it.

17. ankitsid macrumors member

i guess your right..
    i was kind of worried that the 2.0 wouldnt be able to handle alot of things that i will have open at the same time.
    usually premiere, after effects, and photoshop
    so i went to the 2.4..HOPEFULLY that will be enough
    then i saw the mbp was the same range. plus i get firewire whenever i end up using the Canon XL-2 or the XL-1..which will happen on occastion, since its provided by school for me to use when needed.
    i will also be mixing music and djing at some parties..

im really lost as to what desicsion i should make..
    im fine with video editing on a 13.3inch laptop since i can always hook it up to an external if really needed..
    any help

18. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago... Pretty much got the same results.
    Hopefully I will be picking up a 13" 2.4ghz macbook soon :D

19. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Former Macbook Pro user here. I love the smaller form factor and the fact I can easily flip my Macbook to work on it anywhere. When I need screen real estate I just hook it up to my Apple Cinema Display.

I have the 2.4 Macbook so coming from a 2.2 Macbook Pro it feels a bit more faster!

20. qwikrex macrumors member

I went from a 15.4" VAIO to a 13.3" Alu MacBook. I prefer the smaller form factor when using my notebook on the go. If I need more real-estate when using it a home, I just hook up my 22" external LCD. Best of both worlds.

21. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Just got rid of a 15" Dell myself and went to a 13" MB. I was nervous at first, but I LOVE this thing! I'll have to pick up my husband or daughters 15" notebook for something now and its a monster compared to my lovely little MB! No problems at all and its not nearly as big a change as you would think.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yep. Went from a 2.16GHz 15" MBP to a 2.2GHz MacBook and I'm very happy. Even though there's only about 1/2 pound difference, the smaller footprint of the MacBook makes all the difference for me.

23. Nik73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Ladies and Gents I thank you.! :)
    Not one negative reply, just what I was looking for. Consider me convinced!! Why oh why did I buy that bloody DELL? Mind you, the original MB I got did have every issue going and I suppose it's piddly 2.0 core duo, 80gb HDD and whopping 512mb of RAM would have me wanting a new alu MB anyway.

24. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I had a black MacBook but upgraded to the new Pro; however, my girlfriend has the new MacBook, and while I find it hard to use the smaller screen after getting used to the larger one, the reverse holds true as well. You'll get used to whatever you own.

25. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you are editing a lot of video and you have the extra cash, go for the MackBook Pro. The ability to add up to 8GB RAM will be huge for you. Firewire won't hurt, either.