Anyone having problems with custom iTunes Radio stations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biosci, Sep 20, 2013.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

I made one when the new iTunes first came out with about 10 different artists in them. At first, it played two songs. One by the main artists (First one I inputed) and then another song. After that, nothing.. I hit play again and again and no songs. Featured stations always work but my custom one no luck.

I tried again today, same thing. Two songs played and then nothing after that. When they show up on the iPhone, same problem, doesn't play. Wondering what's going on here...

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had it repeat a song twice in the row when I first opened a custom station up today, otherwise no issues right now.

3. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you just have one artist in the custom lineup? Or many? Trying to figure this one out. I made a station with just one and it seems to work okay. Yet there is no guideline or limit (as it seems) to a max number of artists you can pool in a custom station.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I probably have like 20 tracks that I'm basing the station on.

5. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I'll have to try tracks vs artists... I've done it by artist and it hasn't worked.

6. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I can’t even get the Radio to work. It keeps saying I don’t have privileges to use the Radio. Even entering my AppleID and PW is no help.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Are you in the US?

8. tribaltek macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I deleted and recreated the station, and the same issue appeared again. Tried again this morning and it wont play.

For clarification, I have about 20 artists in my custom station.

9. section215 macrumors member

section215

Yep, some similar issues. Played the same song 4 times in a row.

10. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thinking about this and how maybe it may help me too would be to reinstall iTunes..l but still, it's the same issue on my iPhone so that may not be the issue for me. Do they work on your iOS device?

----------

So it must be a multiple artist issue... I tried just one artist and that worked okay...

11. Alrescha macrumors 68020

This is also my experience. It seems to me that adding an artist to "Play more like this" pretty much guarantees that you won't hear anything from that artist... :)

A.

12. AppleMacDudeG4 macrumors member

should have an absolute setting

There should be a setting that allows someone to only listen to just one artist and no one else. I hate having selected an artist and then hearing another artist come on. If I want to just listen to the Beatles or Madonna for example, I should be able to set it to just play them and no one else.

13. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just made a station with 'multiple artists'. Bob Marley and then bob Marley and the Wailers just to see if there would be a difference. Well, I got two songs started repeating over and over. It would play two different songs, then go back and repeat those two songs...

With two different artists, the third song was a repeat of the first song. I didn't let it play through and hit FF to next track and it did play a new song. So far, it has been playing so far 'normally'. Let's all keep each other posted on experiences.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There are regulations against that too. Stupid, but yeah.

15. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Instead of using 'Play more like this', I've created a customized station using lots of 'Never play this' artists. I had pretty good luck up to about 24 'nevers', at which point my station stopped playing and won't start again. Regular stations work fine.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out. In the meantime, I'm having fun experimenting. :)

A.

16. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yes, in the US.

Have both iMac 2011 with 10.8.5 and MBP retina 2013 with 10.8.5. Still no resolution.

17. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I made a "Neil Young" channel and set it to "discovery mode" and started playing about 2 hours ago. So far, I've heard 3 songs each repeat twice. One song played, then repeated immediately after the next. Way more Buffalo Springfield and Gordon Lightfoot than I would have suspected.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've had the same stalling issue with a custom station I made. I put a lot of artists into the station so it would have plenty of info to draw on for song selections. It went through four or five songs and then stopped playing and stalled out. I haven't had time to really troubleshoot the issue yet, but any info others have discovered would be helpful.

19. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

And for me, I was only able to initially play one or two songs at first (When station was first created) and then now it won't play at all. It selects the station, highlights red in color, then just unhighlights and doesn't open or respond. It never crashes the app but it just is an unresponsive button.

20. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I know that Pandora ran into legal issues with this. To get the music labels to allow them to use their music, they had to agree that you won't hear the same artist more than so many times an hour and won't even guarantee you'll even hear the artist or song you selected.

Why would they do this? To cut down on piracy. Let's say you're a big Beatles fan. If you could select a Beatles-only station, how hard would it be to record it and end up with a bunch of free Beatles tunes?

I don't know if iTunes has the same issue since they also sell the music, but they appear to be playing under similar rules.

21. mic j macrumors 68030

If what you say is true, how does Spotify give you the ability to listen to exactly who you want, when you want?

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Radio seems a bit buggy for me:
    1) It warns me I'm not on wi-fi when I am.
    2) Deleting a custom station (My Stations --> Edit) leaves its "album art" on display under "My Stations". Tapping the phantom album art gives me a popup; "Station Unavailable - (null) is temporarily unavailable. Try again later [OK]"

I'm on a 4S, FWIW.

23. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

I subscribe to spotify so I can use it on my mobile devices but you can use the free model the same way but with ads and only on a computer. In spotify, you search for an artist or song and add the song, album or whatever to a playlist and you play what you want, when you want. It's not a Pandora-like experience unless you use their Radio function.

iTunes Radio is more of a Pandora alternative. Spotify is like a streaming alternative of your own library except it probably has more songs and new releases immediately than you'd get in your library...

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm also a Spotify subscriber and really enjoy it.

25. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

And with iTunes Match, I guess I already 'pay' for the radio / pandora experience... But if I do want to save on money though, I guess I could forgo the Spotify subscription.. But I like it enough to keep it. I always thought Apple would buy out Spotify and use them as a revenue generator. But as Pandora is a public company, they're going after them I guess.