Anyone having seconds thoughts about upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dissdnt, Jun 14, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I still have my first gen iPhone. When 3G came out I didn't really think it was worth the upgrade, it only added GPS and 3G support (which we still don't have in upstate NY, way to go AT&T!)

I said to myself as soon as the new iPhone comes out in June i'll just upgrade. It's 2 years and I'm sure it will be worth it. And when I saw the 3GS i was excited but now it's kinda wearing off especially after I put 3.0 on on my first gen iphone.

Just wondering if anyone is feeling the same way.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Nope, I did not have any second thoughts when upgrading from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G and I do not have any second thoughts about upgrading to the iPhone 3G S.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I do use the GPS quite often and I think I would upgrade if I had a 1st Gen. However, I'm not interested in upgrading from my 3G to the 3GS. I'll wait a couple years I think.

Cheers.

4. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

If you still have your first gen iPhone, the 3GS will blow your doors off with speed. EVERYTHING will be faster on it.

It'll be like going from dialup to XTREME BROADBAND

5. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I just sold the wife's and my iphone 3g's for $325...EACH bought the 3GS yesterday!

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No second thoughts here. In fact, as I waited FOREVER for the Messaging app to open this morning on the train, I was reminded of why I want the 3GS so badly. Speed!!! Performance!!! Forget the stupid camera I'll never use, the magnetometer I'll use infrequently, and the oleophobic coating I'll be worried about scratching - all I want is decent performance and a non-laggy UI, for once.

7. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Dissdent, this man obviously does NOT have the 3.0 GM installed on his first gen iPhone, as you and I do. Like you, I'm seriously hesitating on upgrading this iPhone, now that it has 3.0 on it. It's funny how fast everything is, and it STAYS fast. My phone now has an uptime (has not been restarted in) 4 days, yet everything is still fast and using "Sysstatslite", I'm observing that iPhone OS 3.0 does a MUCH better time at keeping free RAM available at any given time. Gotta love Apple's optimization teams...

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Actually, I'm running 3.0 (have been since March!) and while the performance of the GM is noticeably better than the betas, it's not quite as fast as 2.2.1 was, IMO.

As for the lack of RAM on the iPhone, I just checked iStat and it's reporting 2MB free, as usual. If I manually free memory, I can get up to about 50MB, tops. But in daily use, whenever I check iStat I see about 1-3MB free. This has remained unchanged between firmwares, more or less.

OS 3.0 may have better memory management, but I certainly can't see it or 'feel' the difference. My iPhone 3G is just as annoyingly slow as it always has been, with some things even worse than before (for example, switching between English and Japanese keyboards. EXCRUTIATINGLY slow now) ... Bring on the 3GS!!! :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, I'm spending over 500 bucks for a new phone (32gb iPhone + fees + taxes) How could I not.

I placed an order for a 3GS with the idea that I'm just getting in line and if I change my mind this weekend, I'll cancel the order. So far I'm still on the fence. Part me is excited to get the phone and another part of me is calling me crazy for spending so much on the phone.

The thing that stopping me from canceling the order is the idea of selling my 3g and offsetting the cost and also the faster bandwidth. I use logmein to control my computer via my iPhone and bandwidth is everything, and also increased ram so in both cases I could justify it but while I'm justifying it in my heart, my mind is say "DUDE, your spending 500 bucks on a phone).

slightly offtopic:
    Remember when the motorola razor came out and how crazy popular that was. It was selling for 500 bucks - I'm just saying :)

10. dvin macrumors member

i still have the original 2G iphone and don't really care to upgrade to the 3G S. i'd rather wait for the next version and hope that they get rid of the crappy plastic case.
    I know that the new iphone will blow the doors off mine, but my 2G works fine for what i use it for. all of the apps that i utilize don't really need to work faster. the only feature that i would like to have is the ability to MMS, new camera would be nice also...but i imagine it is still crap without a flash & i usually have a digital camera with me when i need to snap a picture. i don't really see a need for the compass, it's pretty easy to figure out what direction your going.

11. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Your right about selling your previous gen phone to offset the cost. I did sell my dads first gen iphone for 350 which more then covered his 3G. I'm sure I can get the same if not more for mine.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to upgrade hehe :)

12. ajl1924 macrumors newbie

I'm in upstate NY and have 3G coverage with excellent reception. Guess it just depends on where you are (I'm in Albany).

13. dagomike macrumors 65816

Basically now when I use my 2g I spend an increasing amount of time noticing slowness. I can't wait.

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. It was even worse when I bought my iPod 2G and saw the difference in speed. I can't STAND how sluggish my iPhone 3G is. :(

15. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Dude, instead of Istat, download "Sysstatslite" (its either one s or two, can't remember, and its free) and tell me which Active apps you have open. With only 1-3 mb free, you must have Phone, Mail, Safari, AND iPod all active....

16. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

No second thoughts for me. I'm tired of this 1st gen and it's time to upgrade. I'm already set with my Pre-order!

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yup. It's reporting all four are active. I guess I made the mistake of using my phone as an iPod this morning and it hasn't realized that it can free that RAM now that the iPod app hasn't been in use for a number of hours. :rolleyes:

18. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

the only thing I regret is not pre-ordering sooner ( i made the cut but i still wish i ordered earlier)

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well at least you even had the option of pre-ordering! Here in Japan it's first-come, first-serve. They like to wait in line for hours for pretty much everything; it makes it feel like a successful product launch, apparently. Kinda funny, I think ... :p

20. computermilk macrumors 6502

Going from the 3G to the 3Gs is like going from an Xbox to an Xbox 360....

this is huge... and i can't wait.

21. TheMBC macrumors 6502

22. Fenix85 macrumors member

My original iPhone has a huge spider web crack and the headphone jack is busted so this really was a no brainer I got great use out of my iPhone for two years and now I'm ready for the upgrade. Glad I didn't jump the 3G bandwagon.

23. sal macrumors 6502

2nd thoughts about getting 3Gs

when the announcement was made, I immediately said to myself: I am getting that iphone!

but now that original buzz has worn out I realized that I don't need to upgrade. The only feature that makes it worth is the 32gb...but even so, I've learned to live with my current 16gb limit with the use of smart playlists.

It's not that I don't have the money either, I just feel guilty abandoning my current iphone that has worked for me for more than a year. I can't see anyone justifying the extra cost and leaving behind a perfectly working iphone because they've been tricked into thinking they NEED the latest version. Don't get me started on the 3G phone users who feel AT&T owes them them a price break so they can afford the new iphone.

I am not denying, owning the latest and greatest is a great feeling. But something to keep in mind is that the coolness factor of owning the latest iphone wears off within a month. Seriously, it does. Within 3 months, you are already wondering what the next version is going to look like.

So as of right now, I have decided to wait. Not wait for the next version of the iphone but to wait until I actually have a serious need to get a new iphone...that's when either my current phone no longer works or I can justify the cost for the few extra features lacking in my current phone. With the 3.0 software update, I think I am set for another year. (I hope apple doesn't read this, they might change their mind about allowing people free software updates)

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

More for the rest of us!

Seriously, alot of people have come on these boards looking for some sort of (what I percieve as) reassurance for their move to go against getting the 3Gs. No one will fault you for it.

But look at it this way.

You sell your unlocked iPhone for, what, 250+ if its in good condition with all the accessories.

You get to upgrade to the latest which is faster than the first two models, and you probably were going to stay with ATT anyway, unless you really wanted to switch. Since you'll be stuck there anyway might as well have an (essentially) free phone and sign up for the two years you would have been there anyway.

Thats my take on it. The 3G may be an "incremental" upgrade to the 3G as some here believe, but its vastly superior to the 2G in terms of raw speed and processing power (judging by the specs). If it suits your purpose then there's no reason to upgrade. I saw an opportunity to get the latest for a mere 50+ more (sold my 2g for 250 and getting 32 gb) and I need a good phone that works since I don't have a landline.

25. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

More.
    Most of them on eBay are closer to $400.