Anyone here buy the SuperDrive for your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jp700p, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

Anyone here buy the SuperDrive for your new MacBook Air? And if so, why dis you?

2. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

I bought a used one off eBay for under $50

I figured for the price it wasn't bad and I'd have it in case I wanted to burn a CD. Not that I do that often but you never know. Compared to various aftermarket drives none that I've seen looks as cool as the superdrive. The fact that it's aluminum just like my MBA is a big +

3. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I wish I could use my iTunes gift card for it. (or can I :eek: )

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Nope, and I don't really plan to. In the 9 months I've had my MBA, I haven't once had a need for an optical drive. And in the rare instance I will, Remote Disc will work just fine :)

5. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got it just in case

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Nope. I have no use for one at all. I don't think I've ever used the superdrive in my MacBook Pro and it seems even less likely that I'd want one for my MacBook Air.

7. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I bought it when i bought my first MacBook Air a long time ago, i think i used it 3 times in the last 1.5 years.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I bought one 3.5 years ago with my original MacBook Air, but primarily use it to install Windows and my applications on my Boot Camp partition whenever I get a new MacBook Air. Since there's no real equivalent to Migration Assistant built into Windows, it can be useful there. Since I have it, I also use it occasionally to encode a CD or DVD, but that's pretty rare.

It's nice to have around the house, but I rarely use it and never travel with it.

9. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Remote disc was my original intention but you can't burn / create audio disc via iTunes this way can you?

10. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I use discs maybe twice a year so I skipped it

11. kelhart macrumors newbie

Yeah, I bought one last year. I can't remember why....I'm sure there was a specific reason, which is now lost to history. It was probably to re-install the OS on something.

Not only do I not remember why I bought it, I don't think I used it beyond the initial reason.

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It seems strange and slightly frustrating that they only work with some Macs… it's USB after all. Otherwise I may have bought one, but haven't.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I thought I needed it to install Windows 7 in Bootcamp, turn out I didn't. But now I've found some good cheap boxed software in Amazon, and I moved my audio collection to my MBA, so being able to install software from CDs or burn music CDs are reasons to keep it.

14. JonLa macrumors 6502

I bought a dirt-cheap liteon external dvd drive instead. Cost me 20 quid (30 bucks) as opposed to 60...

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I bought one with the first MBA in 2008. It still works just fine.

16. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

They only work with MBA - firmware setup this way.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

There's a smll sanding that works
    Apparently on amazon. It's $40.

18. Kavrocks macrumors newbie

I got it because I want to use the Air as my only laptop and do not want to have to use another laptop for CD/DVD sharing if I want to install something (Mac Office maybe), watch a DVD or rip a CD to my Air. And I bought it over a cheaper option because I had previously heard murmurs of problems with non Apple superdrives.

19. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Not sure. I keep my music on my iPhone. I haven't tried burning a CD yet from my MBA, so I can't answer that question. Sorry.

20. glen e macrumors 68030

I use mine quite a bit to load iwork keynote, office and burn audio disks for another car and boat.

21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Nope --- I have an external BD writer, and it it's backward compatible if I need to watch a DVD or load software. I also think the Apple SuperDrive is overpriced for what it's worth.

22. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Nah I still have my Samsung external DVD drive. It has two usb cables (for more powah!) which are joined almost completely so I can't use both on the MBA. Works fine though.

23. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I just used mine to burn a DVD of some photos I took. 3x used in 6 months.

24. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Don't think i will bother with the superdrive as you can get a samsung off ebay for half the price

However i never use an optical drive. Only when installing Windows, but i just iso-ed the disc on another laptop and copied it over.

25. Zeos macrumors 6502

No. Bought a Samsung external DVD that works great. Under $40 on Amazon.