Anyone here dress well?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChefMacDaddy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ChefMacDaddy macrumors member

My friends recently asked me why I spend so much money on nice clothes and accessories and I realized that I didn't really have much of a response other than, "because I can and to meet new girls." but I didn't actually say that. I just told them that I like the quality.

So on a normal day, I'll usually have a nice Lacoste polo or RL polo, some True Religion Jeans, a Louis Vuitton belt with matching wallet and some nice shoes. I mean sure I like to buy LV things, but it's not like I'm hurting anyone when I do it. Why do people always have to judge others based on their appearance?

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I myself do not judge a person by what they are wearing. I prefer to let them enjoy themselves. This is not always the case. If I am somewhere nice and someone walk in wearing beat up clothes, I will think slightly lower of them. However I certainly wouldn't think different of someone who dresses well. You can spend your money on what you enjoy, in this case it is clothes.

I do not dress well. My normal attire is a pair of basketball shorts or jeans, with a brown leather belt, and a T-shirt.

4. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Goodness me! I *looove* average height guys with athletic builds! Oh, and catholicism turns me right on. Guys who dress nice are a real turn on, too. God knows that being excessively brand-whorish and materialistic is just the most attractive feature possible in a guy! Engineers are just fantastic, too. You seem just my type. Since Catholicism really gets me hot and bothered, I feel like you should drop me a PM… talk to you later, big boy.

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Epic troll,I approve:cool:

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Wasn't he banned or something??

8. ChefMacDaddy thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, you're the only guy here that gets me. Thanks for your kind response.

Thanks.

9. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Facepalm. LOL.
    She was just making fun of you.
    You really didn't hear about sarcasm, did you?

----------

You're such a troll. In a good way! LOL
    :D;):cool:

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I think Demi-god = male.

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

It sounded like a girl pretending to pick up a guy,read his post again.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

OMG I just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading this. :p

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Yeah, me too. Welcome to Community Discussion, home of the jilted and juvenile. Not to worry, the Wasteland is home to label whores too.

KGB

14. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Hey I dress well and am not a brand whore. I got a great tailor that makes nice suits, it supports a local business and doesn't look shabby :D

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I guess it's age, but I cannot bring myself to care about clothing brands. I actually get a little sick when I see the haughtiness of it all. There's this clothing brand called Bonobos, and I saw so many advertisements for them I finally checked it out and joined their Facebook page for a discount. And they have these inane questions of the day, like, "What is the ideal number of suits to own?" And I saw people answering with things like, "Well any respectable man would have at least 7" etc.

I was able to care about things like that, brands, etc. and looking a certain way up until I was maybe 23 or so. But now I actually find that mentality revolting in a pretty visceral way. I'm not sure how these companies are able to be so successful because it seems like they are marketing toward very young and or insecure people, but maybe that's a large market segment!

By the way, I don't own one suit, and I am glad. I actually don't even buy clothes. I still get them at Christmas, and it's usually stuff from JC Penney or one of those discounters like Ross, and it's all very nice stuff.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Or it could be a guy pretending to be a girl picking up a guy.

17. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I said it sounded like a girl,never said it was a girl;)

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I used to care a lot about how I looked.

Now I don't concern myself with it as much. I don't want to look like a slob, but I don't do much to look super nice. It annoys me when I wear some of the shirts I still own that have those popular brand names on the front. And it's interesting to see other people that wear them. Our society is very much about the bandwagon appeal...

19. mudslag, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Pretentious people are funny and you sir are just that, a pretentious snob. You ask why do people judge, that's a pretty silly question coming from you. Based on your post and your sig, you care very highly of what kind of impression you can give to others and their impression, I.E. judgement, of you. In fact based on all this info, you have a need for it, you're a Paris Hilton wannabe. My guess is you post similar info on other forums looking for some recognition about how cool you think to yourself that you are.

I just have one question for you, how often do you stand in front of a mirror practicing your Blue Steel look?

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah, but QueenofSpades said the fact that the person had a demi-god title implied that he was male... Not that he didn't sound female ;)

21. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

You are most likely trolling with the forum and I can't sleep right now, so I'll humor you, ChefMacDaddy. I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist, but I do have a minor in sociology, so I'll do my best.

It is perfectly fine to have lots of money. Most everywhere, people are judged if they are different from the respective norms of their area. This judgment is extremely prevalent in middle and high school. So, it is most likely you will be/are being judged (known or unknown to you) becasue of your outwardly expression of your parents* financial status (e.g. clothing, cars, parties) regardless if you live in an area where that amount of wealth is common or not. Someone, somewhere is always judging. It is just what happens. You can not let that stop you. If you are comfortable in the clothing you wear and the lifestyle you live, then who cares what others think of you. Trust me, it is not worth your time or mental anguish trying to please everyone. Be yourself, love who you are, and you will discover your true friends.

But, it is also your attitude towards your parents wealth that determine the extent of your judgment. If you're a show-off, if you act like a pompous jackarse, and/or act like a self entitled snob, then people will most likely dislike/hate you (or only like you because of your money).

Sidenotes:
    The fact that you put "$$$" in your signature could indicate that you have low self-esteem in regards to other aspects of your personality and you feel the need to compensate or cover it up by expressing your parents wealth.

Also, the bolding of "women" in your signature makes me question your understanding and comfort level of your own sexuality.

*unless of course you make enough money to support your wardrobe habits, in which case, congratulations, but the rest of the message still applies.

22. shmark macrumors newbie

You buy True Religion Jeans too? I buy mine from Macy's but the price of a good pair of jeans cannot be argued about. Everyone needs a good pair of quality jeans. By the time I get them though, there is not much room in my budget for adventurous polo shirts, or shirts.

People are judged on their appearance is a hard question to answer. I find that the more thought put into their appearance, the more confident they are about themselfs. And the less, well mabye they just cant afford it.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hmmm, you claim to be straight yet you match your wallet and belt, LV no less. :D

25. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Pretty much wear Levis and clothes from Gap all the time (apart from at work), Merrell when it comes to shoes.

I prefer comfort and function over style :)