Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
More seriously, trophy hunting, especially for rare and magnificent beats like some of these rich **** do an Africa sickens me. I wish some of them would get eaten by their prey.
Totally agree on that one. When I see one of those pics of people posing over a dead lion I want to whip them with their own rifle. That's a world away from someone hunting ducks for dinner though, at least to me.

Reactions: Moi Ici and Ntombi

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I hear bow & arrow is a little gamey ...

Not much meat on it.

It is also a little stringy.

beibout.gif

Reactions: LizKat and D.T.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The one type of hunt I can't abide is the horseback with dogs variety, where they take most of a morning chasing some poor animal only to dig it out and throw it to the pack if it does go to ground.

Apparently that's now banned in the UK, but typically rich landowner types still do it. The government and police completely coincidentally (of course) never prosecute infractions of the law. The law in this country, you see, only applies in some cases.
I don't mind other people hunting! I just don't feel comfortable shooting a gun myself. It's just me, I guess.

I agree, that seems less like hunting and more like sport. Which killing animals for fun just never appeals to me at all. If I'm going to kill an animal, I also want to eat it.

Reactions: SoggyCheese

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I have no objection to hunting animals for food as long as it is done responsibly and the animal doesn't suffer. ...

That sounds like an impossible qualifier to throw in there.

The act of taking a life inflicts suffering.

The best I think you can hope for is accepting the suffering you're intentionally inflicting upon that animal and the other animals that may rely on it.

Reactions: Moi Ici

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I hunt for fish using a technique called "noodling" where you use nothing but your bare hands.

Using the noodling technique is quite easy, actually. I always catch the fish in little styrofoam flats typically at the rear of the store.

That is impressive! I'd be down with learning that. It feels like that would be the most useful if you were in a situation that required you get food without a lot of tools present. How long have you been using, and perfecting, that technique?

Reactions: jkcerda

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
German shepherd sized :(

you need to get into the mountains inside Los Angeles then.......they're YUUUUUGE here :cool:

(I was a passenger in a car that was, um, attacked by a deer while we were driving on the 405 over the Sepulveda pass thru the Santa Monica mountains (this is inside L.A. city limits for those that don't know)........it was way bigger than any German Shepherd)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I do, not as often as I'd like to these days. Most SoCal game animals are terrible due to the lack of quality food to fatten them up. The deer in our area are big and friendly. Sadly, I can't exactly take my rifle out and shoot them. But they're easy enough that you can hand feed them a carrot or two.

I love fishing, though.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Just love hunting,
Getting into the camo-suit, and shoot from as fat away as possible to give the deer a fair chance, and make me feel like a real man :)

Graphic images behind the spoiler tags ~ moderation team
1073d1364235235-brits-shoot-deer-head-p1010075.jpg

Crossbow is the best

5054cbdc75b37379d704160862645a6ebcd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
We (my husband and I) hunt.
He is from a hunting family, and I love anything outdoorsy, so it was just a matter of time before he suckered me into it

I only enjoy early archery, beyond that... its just too darn cold for me!
I have a Diamond Razor Edge that I really enjoy shooting. According to the hubster, I'm a "natural"

Hunting has its perks besides the sanctity of the sunrise from a tree stand and the free meat....
I really look forward to the post-hunt breakfast and the cuddle nap that always ensues.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
you need to get into the mountains inside Los Angeles then.......they're YUUUUUGE here :cool:

(I was a passenger in a car that was, um, attacked by a deer while we were driving on the 405 over the Sepulveda pass thru the Santa Monica mountains (this is inside L.A. city limits for those that don't know)........it was way bigger than any German Shepherd)
That was probably a southern Ca. moose.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I grew up with a disdain for and complete lack of understanding of hunting. It was extremely far from my crunchy granola hippy dippy (yet omnivorous) urban east coast upbringing.

But I grew and learned the difference between trophy hunting and hunting for food, and then learned that even some trophy hunters can play a part in a healthy ecosystem, and also that I had no room to talk in terms of animal cruelty if I was participating in the commercial meat economy.

So now I’m at a place where I can’t see myself hunting (though I do enjoy target shooting), but I don’t paint it with a broadly negative brush anymore.

I also don’t know any hunters who are wasteful or disrespectful of the animals. So that probably helps.

Well said; to a certain extent, I can relate to this post.

Hunting is something I’ve never tried but something I’d be interested in perhaps doing someday before die. I think the problem is I don’t see the point of trophy hunting but if hunting for food I probably wouldn’t want to deal with the preparation (Or whatever the term is) of te meat. I think it would be interesting to experience the rather primitive art though.

On the other hand I lobe fishing. So if I never try my hand at hunting at least I can still enjoy a day on the water, wrestling in some striped bass, and having a delicious meal afterwards.

USAFA2008

Suspended
Dec 1, 2017
I don't hunt but I do shoot. In the past I shot competitively and received various Excellence-In-Competition and Distinguished Shooter Badges.
I don't mind other people hunting! I just don't feel comfortable shooting a gun myself. It's just me, I guess.
I don't hunt but I do shoot and have shot competitively in the past. Being comfortable with a gun is probably the most important step in shooting. When I go to the range to qualify I can tell just by how people are handling the gun and shooting who hasn't shot since they last qualified and who shoots regularly.

Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I don't hunt but I do shoot and have shot competitively in the past. Being comfortable with a gun is probably the most important step in shooting. When I go to the range to qualify I can tell just by how people are handling the gun and shooting who hasn't shot since they last qualified and who shoots regularly.
I've found this to be true with any tool. You have to use it to become competent with it. Further, you have to use it with intent in order to master it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.