All iPads Anyone here moving to the iPad mini from the full sized iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ChrisTX, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

So is anyone here considering making the switch to the iPad mini from the full sized iPad? The rumored slimmer design of the next gen full sized iPad is tempting, but the portability of the iPad mini is very compelling. I think I'm going to make the switch to the iPad mini if it comes with retina, and is equal in performance to the full sized iPad. Is anyone else here going to make the switch?

Irrelevant to the topic, but I'll be moving back from Android(Phone), and I think the combination of the iPhone 5S, and iPad mini will be a nice combo! :cool:

2. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

I will not be moving to the iPad mini. I currently have the iPad 3 and I am debating whether or not to upgrade to the iPad 5 when it is released. Since my eyes are not getting any younger, I find the full size iPad to be ideal for reading. Also, I have never had an issue with the full size iPad in terms of portability. Everyone has has different needs in regards to size and portability, but the full size iPad works best for me.

3. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Three things would make me switch from a full sized iPad. 1) A retina display, 2) 128gb of storage and 3) A bazeless screen. If the Mini 2 does not have at least the first two options I will stick with the iPad 5.

4. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I am thinking of going back to a full size iPad had the 1,2, and 3 gens than went to the mini, sold it a few months ago on the macbook now but have been thinking about it.

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Considering it

I have had a 1st & 3rd gen iPad & have loved them. I never thought i would want a smaller screen much less non-Retina. But i recently purchased an iPad mini for the kids and i have been amazed at it. Sure the screen is a little fuzzy for text, but i don't use mine much for reading. but the small size is mitigated by a lack of bezel so the screen is still comfortable for me to surf and game on. I am seriously considering trading my 3rd gen iPad for a second mini of my own....

6. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I've had the first 3 iPads, but there's just something compelling about the smaller iPad mini. I guess I'll wait for the new 5th gen iPad to release, and compare it to the next ten mini.

7. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Unless the ipad 5 comes in under a pound--I will likely buy a mini, retina or not. The current display is fine, imo. I hope the mini gets an A7. This release will clarify apples commitment to the mini. The market has clearly shifted to smaller tabs

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I love my iPAD 4, 128 GB , I will be adding either the iPad 2 or Nexus 7 with apps I use for the business, in the small form factor for ease of traveling in the vans

9. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Ipad Mini

I sold my iPad 2 and just got my Ipad Mini yesterday, I was worried I would not be able to read the print, but that is not true. I can watch baseball on ESPN, so I am very happy..I use mine for cruising the web while watching TV..works well.

10. Powrie macrumors 6502

If they get the iPad 5 light enough it will hit the same sweet spot that the mini has.

One of the main complaints about the older pads is that they were getting heavy with the new retina screens.

But with the IGZO technology they can to it alot lighter and thinner.

It might be that the only difference between the ipad mini and the full size is which pocket it fits in.

I think this update for the ipad 5 is going to be big.

If the mini gets IGZO as well its going to be hard to choose.

11. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am planning to do the reverse when iPad 5 appears. I started with an iPad 1 and then got a mini last year and gave my wife the 1. But the mini screen is just too small for my uses, so when the 5 appears, I plan on getting it and give my wife the mini (she just plays games and does FB). The 1 will finally get completely retired. Looking forward to my new 5. One thing for sure I will get 32GB. I got 16GB on the mini after having 32 on the 1 and the 16 is just too small (along with the screen).

12. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Depends love the big screen but it's pretty exhausting on the hands over a long period of time if they can make it is light as the iPad Mini then there's no point in getting the mini when you can get a full size iPad probably with better processor/features and a bigger screen.

13. mhdena macrumors 6502

14. satchmo macrumors 68000

I'm like others here who are thinking of doing the reverse. I too love the mini's lightweight and thinness but its too small for me. Specifically the buttons and text links. Jobs wasn't that far off when he said you'd need to file down your finger to use a 7" tablet.

15. nay2vp macrumors newbie

I have the 3rd generation Ipad and my daughter has the mini. I prefer a full size screen over the mini's screen. However, the mini is the perfect size for using at the gym. It's small enough that I can just set it down on the machine and watch videos while working out.

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Side note for those that think you can't read on the mini.. It's extremely easy and a pleasure to read on the mini.. I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting a mini

17. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Would not trade full size for a mini. I believe "the bigger the better" i like the built quality of the big one a lot more.

18. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Had the iPad 3, got a mini, barely used it so gave it to my son and I got an iPad 4. Will get the new iPad when it comes out but the mini was just lacking for my needs.

19. ChrisTX, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I think the only reason why the market has shifted to smaller tabs is because of the lower price point. I'm still trying to decide however, if the functionality is the same.

After reading through this thread, it looks like I'll be testing the mini alongside the iPad 5 before I make the plunge. Price was never a factor in making my decision, just figured the portability might be better. I guess we'll see when they're both released.

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

OP - I really think it has a lot to do with your uses. I use mine in doing some very heavy note taking and producing some write ups and just find the Mini size too restrictive for my needs. That is why I'm going back to the full size. But on the other hand my wife only browses the web, does FB and plays games (Candy Crush all the time) and the Mini is fine for her. It just depends on your uses. Also, I think if they make the full size thinner and lighter that will negate some of the portability advantages of the Mini.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's why I got the mini for my girl and myself. I was in the apple store last week and played with the 4, while i like the size of the Mini, I really miss that big beautiful screen.

22. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Take it with you

I have an iPad 3 and think the screen is amazing. But after using it for the past 18 months, I am salivating for an iPad mini with Retina. The iPad 3 is too heavy to hold for extended periods, and with the iPad mini, there is a chance I might fit it in a coat pocket for easy travel. Plus the mini means I can stay with iOS and take advantage of the integration with my Mac and Apple TV. I never thought I would like a smaller device, which is why I got the iPad 3 initially, but my next iPad will be a mini.

23. satchmo macrumors 68000

Just to add one more observation, as someone earlier mentioned about usage, the speed of the current iPad mini is noticeably slower than the iPad 4.

Not a big deal for most apps and surfing, but I do run into some instances on web sites with heavy graphics. The lack of retina helps in this regard, so a new model with retina had better come with a beefed up processor. Which in turn may affect battery life.

While some have said this technical challenge is the reason why Apple hasn't released a retina iPad mini to date, you only need to look at the newly announced Nexus 7 to see that it is possible.

24. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Here i am probably moving from an iPad 2 to a Mini, not sure when , already sold my iPad 2 but i can wait for a new Mini.

I'm probably going to sell/donate my g/friends iPad 2 also and getting a Mini for her also.

25. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Currently have the mini and a 3rd gen and I vastly prefer the form factor of the mini. So much so I gave my girlfriend the iPad 3.

However, at times, I do miss that larger screen so if Apple can really shift 30-50% of the weight from the big iPad I may consider one again. Everything about the mini is just perfect for me right now though, so an A6/retina one would also definitely be up for consideration.