Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Anyone here starting to feel that iOS is getting kinda old and stale?
iOS has been mostly the same since 2007, after playing with the Android Gingerbread Nexus and the Android Honeycomb Xoom pad. I am feeling that iOS is looking kinda old and stale. Apple needs fresh revamp on iOS because the latest android updates are looking pretty good at the moment and Android is gaining lots of ground on apple. The latest lackluster VZW iphone launch with little to no lines, may be proof that consumers are getting tired of iOS in it's current form.

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
iOS has been mostly the same since 2007, after playing with the Android Gingerbread Nexus and the Android Honeycomb Xoom pad. I am feeling that iOS is looking kinda old and stale. Apple needs fresh revamp on iOS because the latest android updates are looking pretty good at the moment and Android is gaining lots of ground on apple. The latest lackluster VZW iphone launch with little to no lines, may be proof that consumers are getting tired of iOS in it's current form.

Please hold for 12 hours. Apple event tomorrow should into iOS 5.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The latest lackluster VZW iphone launch with little to no lines, may be proof that consumers are getting tired of iOS in it's current form.

I think the lackluster VZW launch was more a statement that people didn't want to buy a phone introduced 8 months ago and wanted to wait until a new one came out in the summer.

That said, while I like iOS and find it very functional it would be nice to see a change.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I think the lackluster VZW launch was more a statement that people didn't want to buy a phone introduced 8 months ago and wanted to wait until a new one came out in the summer.

That said, while I like iOS and find it very functional it would be nice to see a change.

A lackluster launch? They sold almost 600K phones on the preorder day alone. They might not have matched the AT&T total numbers but if I was Lowell McAdams I'd have nothing to complain about.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I do agree up to a certain point. It may also be a case of the grass being greener on the other side too. We'll have to see what they have in store for tomorrow. They need to preview iOS 5.0, and fast.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
anyone here starting to feel that iOS is getting kinda old and stale?

Nope, looking at a friends blackberry screen today and watching him scroll with that little ball on that terrible browser gave me the old and stale Atari feeling but didnt get that with my i4.
And with iOS 5.0 comming out in the summer it will only get better.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
. The latest lackluster VZW iphone launch with little to no lines, may be proof that consumers are getting tired of iOS in it's current form.

It wasn't lackluster at all....They have already sold 1,000,000 phones and had the biggest one day sale in their history the day it went for sale.

nicastro78

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Being a former Android owner for the last year and a half, I am glad to say I'm back with iOS. Android right now is still for the people that like to tinker and learn. It still is not as polished as iOS. Could Apple iOS be face lifted? Sure, but it appeals across the market for it's ease of use. Market pressures will cause Apple to react and we will probably see something new at tomorrows event.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think people need to stop expecting to be entertained by the UI of their CELLPHONE. A phone needs to be operational first, not some alpha-wave producing entertainment tool. I know I started by playing with my phone non stop, but now I just treat it like a phone. Some days I'll barely look at it. Focus on having a full complete life, and you wont have time to experience the "thrills and chills" of a smartphone UI.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The user interface of iOS is vastly outdated. Pinstripes? Pinstripes???? And those gaudy looking gradients on all those old fashioned rounded corner buttons???? Damn it, Steve, I don't want a grandpa looking interface.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I have to disagree with you op. After toying with my co-workers phones. Which they all have androids, pre's etc etc. I always take my phone out of my pocket when I'm done using their phones and my phone feels so fluid, so easy, so much more solid. It makes me realize why I really love it, no in my opinion I think the iPhone doesn't need any kind of revamp.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
^ well said.

The average consumer doesn't need a change or upgrade every 8 or 12 months to not feel 'bored', lol.

iOS works and works well, the fact is isn't continuously overhauled is a selling feature. Usually kids and geeks are the ones who want the UI overhauled all the time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A lackluster launch? They sold almost 600K phones on the preorder day alone. They might not have matched the AT&T total numbers but if I was Lowell McAdams I'd have nothing to complain about.
Except they were excepting lines out the door and people camping out. Lackluster is relative and when then they moved 500k on orders to existing customers, they thought they'd move millions. that didn't happen in fact most VZW stores were no busier then any other day. Even though they had extra workers on hand to handle the crush of people who never materialized.

I think iOS is still one of the better looking OSes today.
Better looking does not equate to better performing or handling. The modal interface that apple chose is constraining how they implement features. OSs that are newer are nice looking and are more flexible.

I think apple needs to update the OS' UI to so they can introduce new features without making it feel kludgey or bolted on.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I have to disagree with you op. After toying with my co-workers phones. Which they all have androids, pre's etc etc. I always take my phone out of my pocket when I'm done using their phones and my phone feels so fluid, so easy, so much more solid. It makes me realize why I really love it, no in my opinion I think the iPhone doesn't need any kind of revamp.

I absolutely agree with You on that one.

The other phones are just not as intuitive as the iPhone is. At least for me that is.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think people need to stop expecting to be entertained by the UI of their CELLPHONE. A phone needs to be operational first, not some alpha-wave producing entertainment tool. I know I started by playing with my phone non stop, but now I just treat it like a phone. Some days I'll barely look at it. Focus on having a full complete life, and you wont have time to experience the "thrills and chills" of a smartphone UI.

You see, this is where you're wrong. It's not just a cell phone, it's a multimedia device and a cell phone. If I wanted just a cellphone, I'd get a $20 LG. The iPhone is supposed to be the best multimedia device out there and we have every right to want it to be even better. People don't pay 4, 5, 6 hundred dollars for a cellphone.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Except they were excepting lines out the door and people camping out. Lackluster is relative and when then they moved 500k on orders to existing customers, they thought they'd move millions. that didn't happen in fact most VZW stores were no busier then any other day. Even though they had extra workers on hand to handle the crush of people who never materialized.

I'll agree that lackluster is relative but I think had the tables been turned and verizon had the initial launch last june and now AT&T did a Feb launch you'd be able to say the exact same thing. I think what made the AT&T launch a spectacle was the fact they weren't even close to prepared for it. Maybe Verizon undersold but at least they were prepared and for the most part if went off without a hitch.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I love how people complain that iOS 'still works the same' after 4 years but they somehow missed the fact that the Mac OS has been pretty much the same for the last 27 years.

Sure, you can list thousands of changes since then, but the basic mouse-folder-windows-desktop layout hasn't changed much. And that's what people mean when they talk about iOS, btw. They don't count Spotlight or the task-bar switcher or folders as changes. No...they want something really big.

But if that's what you want you can forget it. iOS will continue to evolve, just like the Mac has. But people wishing for a complete and total redesign are kidding themselves.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I think iOS is still one of the better looking OSes today.

Well yeah... but that isn't saying much. Have you seen other mobile OSes? Ew. Barely any of them even 'work'. iOS is smooth, fluid, powerful and expandable.

The only thing that needs to be changed is the notification system. Hopefully we'll see this in iOS 5, especially after hiring that guy from webOS

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
You're missing the point.

Apple is migrating towards the implementation (sorry for using a big word fanboys) of iOS across all Apple hardware.

Dumb it down & sell it.

That's the magic behind Apples success.

Think really simple.

Think small.

Then pay your money and shut up :)

Never forget, NO THINKING ALLOWED

Fresh1

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Maryland, USA
I just got my iPhone, and after using a Droid... I would never, ever use anything else but iOS. Other phones may be catching up, but iOS will reign supreme for a while.

PS - I don't care if I came to the party 8 months late, this phone is simply amazing.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, I don't really get it either, are people "bored" of using folders and icons on their computers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.