Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
From what I understand antioxidants help with oxidation. Oxidation is the process of matter losing electrons, usually in a way that generates energy.

The most famous common example of this is combustion, a mass being burned to produce fire, soot and water.

Our bodies use a controlled version of this, to turn store energy into usable energy. Hence, 'burning fat' is in a way actually the same as burning a log.

One issue that effects us is unwanted oxidation - when our cells are struck by anything with a lot of energy (sunlight, toxic chemicals breaking down inside our bodies, and other sources) this can cause unwanted, uncontrolled oxidation.

This knocks electrons out of molecules that need them and can lead to cell damage and mutation.

This is where our body tries to rectify the issue, and the best and easiest method is phytonutrients. Many of these are called 'antioxidants' because they have excess electrons, and will 'donate' an electron to the damaged molecule and help repair it. Strong antioxidants are found in brightly coloured foods; blueberries, cabbage, shellfish, greens, its a long list.

The moral of the story is you should always try and 'eat the rainbow', and consume as many different brightly coloured, unprocessed foods as possible.

Any one here use antioxidants to help with oxidation?

Reactions: decafjava

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don't take anti-oxidant as a regimen, but I do drink green tea (hot, no sugar, no cream) which is an anti-oxidant. I drink because I like the taste, the health benefits is a bonus.

Gonna sound like a tea snob, but it used to chafes me to see people adding sugar or cream/milk to their tea. There are many, many blends of tea. Y'all drinking the wrong blend. I've been getting better over the years. Now I only raise an eyebrow? when I see people add sugar to their tea. The thing that still haven't been able to overlook is when people heat water in a microwave for their tea...philistines!

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Coffee has been shown to have lots of antioxidants, and unlike its past reputation now considered pretty healthy. Good news in my opinion!
Yes, coffee has some good antioxidants and so red wine :) By the way, one of the most potent foods around the world are the Alaska and Siberia wild blueberries. However, food alone may not always provide all the nutrients or antioxidants one needs.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t take antioxidants exclusively, but I do consume food/beverages that do have antioxidants in them by design. For example, there’s a specific sparkling water that I drink that has known antioxidants. As much as I do think antioxidants are a benefit, I don’t feel that they’re entirely necessary either.

I will say from somebody that is a highly dedicated weight trainer 5 days a week in the gym, it’s been discussed many times on various podcasts, that antioxidants actually are prohibitive when attempting to gain muscle. So for that reason alone, I do try to keep my consumption at a minimum, as I do believe there is science behind that, but not enough quantitative supportive evidence to back that either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.