Anyone here use an electric shaver?

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
I'm thinking of switching. Every time I shave with a regular razor I get horrible razor rash! I have tried countless different shave creams, after shaves and razors but nothing seems to stop the razor rash.

I'm hoping that an electric shaver will help with the razor rash. What do you guys think about electronic shavers? are they even worth it?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I loved my electric razor until the internal battery died and I couldnt find my charger. :(

Now I use Mach 5 I think it is. Its battery operated, and takes disposable razor heads, and it gently vibrates when you press a button. It really gets a close shave and im never left with razor rash or anything...

Now on my face I use...

Comment

ejb190

macrumors 65816
For me, using an electric razor is like half shaving. I have yet to find one that gets close enough. I still use an old Mach 3. Works as well as anything I have tried.

Here's a thought for you. I have slow growing stubble and only shave every other day. If I shaved every day I might look a little better, but I would never get rid of the razor burn.

Comment

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I loved my electric razor until the internal battery died and I couldnt find my charger. :(

Now I use Mach 5 I think it is. Its battery operated, and takes disposable razor heads, and it gently vibrates when you press a button. It really gets a close shave and im never left with razor rash or anything...

Now on my face I use...
ahhaha dork
HAHAHAH that was funny!
LOL

Comment

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm thinking of switching. Every time I shave with a regular razor I get horrible razor rash! I have tried countless different shave creams, after shaves and razors but nothing seems to stop the razor rash.

I'm hoping that an electric shaver will help with the razor rash. What do you guys think about electronic shavers? are they even worth it?
It might sound silly but maybe your not shaving correctly??

Comment

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Phillips Norelco electric razors have always worked for me. I think the key is keeping the blades sharp by replacing when necessary.

Someone above mentioned that you might not be "doing it right", while this sounds weird it's actually true. Everyone's face is different and every razor works different depending on what you use. So, take your time and try different strokes and methods no matter what type of razor you end up with.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I had used an electric razor in the past and I found them to be inadequate in comparison to traditional blade razors.

I found that if you go a couple of days w/o shaving and then pick up an electric shaver it can be a painful experience. During the warm periods the oils on your face impact how well (or not well) the shaver works and the blades seem to dull over time and making it a pricey endeavor to replace them.

As always YMMV but for me, a regular razor is much much better then an electric model.

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I've always used an electric shaver. I don't like messing with shaving cream... it takes too long.

I've had my current shaver for about 5 years now and it's still humming along. I replace the blades once a year. My battery is still good too... I only charge it once every two or three weeks.

Oh, and my shaver is a Philips Norelco. When I bought it, it was about $100.

Comment

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway

Now on my face I use...
Dont worry guys, I change the razor head between zones. I have a dedicated face razor, and a dedicated man-scaping razor. No cross contamination.
darn glad to hear that. :D

you had me worrying there.

Comment

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Dont worry guys, I change the razor head between zones. I have a dedicated face razor, and a dedicated man-scaping razor. No cross contamination.
Since it is just a different area of your own body… I have to ask which areas you consider toxic? :confused: ;)

For myself: cold water, a slick of soap and a cut-throat razor…
But if I am running behind schedule I just burn off the stubble with my lighter.

Comment

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
Look, my subscribers dont subscribe to fetish sites like "baby smooth, and ready to ****" for no reason.
only one word for this: LoL

and poor poor OP

i think we just ruined his post.

to OP

Please excuse us we just don't know any better. hope you enjoyed it and actually got some answers to you questions.

Comment

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've always used an electric shaver. I don't like messing with shaving cream... it takes too long.
I don't do that whole man-scaping thing. I'm all natural baby... save the forrest!
Moon, I am so disappointed. Knowing your affinity for all things natural, I have always assumed that your avatar pic was a demonstration of how you shaved.

Wow, this revelation is going to take some time to get over. :(

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Moon, I am so disappointed. Knowing your affinity for all things natural, I have always assumed that your avatar pic was a demonstration of how you shaved.
Just because I have an electric shaver doesn't mean that I shave everything off. Every once in a while, you have to get rid of those stray hairs.

Comment

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I swapped 2 years ago to the Philips ARCitec - I've never changed the blades and I have to say I won't be going back any time soon. Mostly I love the fact that a charge gives me 3 weeks of shaving and its as good a my old Mach 3 under the chin if not better.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I used to use an electric when I was a teen, they weren't that good. Bought another one a year ago thinking the tech must be better by now. It really wasn't.
Now I just shave whilst in the steam room. All you have to do is look harshly at hair and it falls out in there.

Comment