Anyone here use an electric shaver?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, Dec 4, 2009.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I'm thinking of switching. Every time I shave with a regular razor I get horrible razor rash! I have tried countless different shave creams, after shaves and razors but nothing seems to stop the razor rash.

I'm hoping that an electric shaver will help with the razor rash. What do you guys think about electronic shavers? are they even worth it?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I loved my electric razor until the internal battery died and I couldnt find my charger. :(

Now I use Mach 5 I think it is. Its battery operated, and takes disposable razor heads, and it gently vibrates when you press a button. It really gets a close shave and im never left with razor rash or anything...

Now on my face I use...

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

For me, using an electric razor is like half shaving. I have yet to find one that gets close enough. I still use an old Mach 3. Works as well as anything I have tried.

Here's a thought for you. I have slow growing stubble and only shave every other day. If I shaved every day I might look a little better, but I would never get rid of the razor burn.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

ahhaha dork
    HAHAHAH that was funny!
    LOL

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It might sound silly but maybe your not shaving correctly??

6. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

here it had to be you....

to answer OP

get a philips 3 head electric device. had mine for over 2 years now and just had to buy new heads for it. works perfect.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Dont worry guys, I change the razor head between zones. I have a dedicated face razor, and a dedicated man-scaping razor. No cross contamination.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Phillips Norelco electric razors have always worked for me. I think the key is keeping the blades sharp by replacing when necessary.

Someone above mentioned that you might not be "doing it right", while this sounds weird it's actually true. Everyone's face is different and every razor works different depending on what you use. So, take your time and try different strokes and methods no matter what type of razor you end up with.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had used an electric razor in the past and I found them to be inadequate in comparison to traditional blade razors.

I found that if you go a couple of days w/o shaving and then pick up an electric shaver it can be a painful experience. During the warm periods the oils on your face impact how well (or not well) the shaver works and the blades seem to dull over time and making it a pricey endeavor to replace them.

As always YMMV but for me, a regular razor is much much better then an electric model.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've always used an electric shaver. I don't like messing with shaving cream... it takes too long.

I've had my current shaver for about 5 years now and it's still humming along. I replace the blades once a year. My battery is still good too... I only charge it once every two or three weeks.

Oh, and my shaver is a Philips Norelco. When I bought it, it was about $100.

11. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

darn glad to hear that. :D

you had me worrying there.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Since it is just a different area of your own body… I have to ask which areas you consider toxic? :confused: ;)

For myself: cold water, a slick of soap and a cut-throat razor…
    But if I am running behind schedule I just burn off the stubble with my lighter.

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Rest your weary head, no cause for alarm.
    No area is "toxic" but I'd prefer to not have a curly stuck to my face at 7am

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't do that whole man-scaping thing. I'm all natural baby... save the forrest!

15. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Whoever said I did it because I wanted to?

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Oh, so you man-scape for websites then... huh? :D

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Look, my subscribers dont subscribe to fetish sites like "baby smooth, and ready to ****" for no reason.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No one mentioned the hedge; it could be something else for all we know. :D

19. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

only one word for this: LoL

and poor poor OP

i think we just ruined his post.

to OP

Please excuse us we just don't know any better. hope you enjoyed it and actually got some answers to you questions.

20. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Moon, I am so disappointed. Knowing your affinity for all things natural, I have always assumed that your avatar pic was a demonstration of how you shaved.

Wow, this revelation is going to take some time to get over. :(

21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Just because I have an electric shaver doesn't mean that I shave everything off. Every once in a while, you have to get rid of those stray hairs.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I meant to imply that "real men" shave with a buck knife. :D

23. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I shave with the grain, do all the "right stuff" and I'm still left with a rash. I even went to a dermatologist about it, he gave me this cream stuff witch worked but it was supper expensive.

BAHAHAHAHAHA that just made my day!

24. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I swapped 2 years ago to the Philips ARCitec - I've never changed the blades and I have to say I won't be going back any time soon. Mostly I love the fact that a charge gives me 3 weeks of shaving and its as good a my old Mach 3 under the chin if not better.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to use an electric when I was a teen, they weren't that good. Bought another one a year ago thinking the tech must be better by now. It really wasn't.
    Now I just shave whilst in the steam room. All you have to do is look harshly at hair and it falls out in there.