HomeKit Anyone here with August Smart Lock Pro & Nest Hello Doorbell?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by 212rikanmofo, Dec 7, 2018.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

I have the August Smart Lock Pro and got it because it's HomeKit Compatible. I am looking for a HomeKit compatible doorbell, but I don't really like the looks of the August one. I prefer the nest and I'm aware that it doesn't support HomeKit. I was wondering if there's anyone here that runs this combination and could tell me what I would be missing by not pairing it with the August Doorbell Pro cam?

The only missing feature I can think of is that I won't be able to ask siri to show me the live feed from the Nest Hello since it's not HomeKit compatible. I would have to view it from the Nest.app instead, which is not a big deal to me. I don't mind having a separate app for the nest since I already have a nest camera for the home. If someone were to ring the doorbell, I would open Nest.app to see the camera and to communicate, and if I wanted to unlock my door lock, I can just call up the home.app from control center to unlock the door without closing Nest.app.

2. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

How do you like the August Smart Lock? I am curious how it is on more stubborn locks, especially in winter.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

I love it! It works great, I love the auto unlock, especially when I come home and have my hands tied. And I love being able to go out for a walk or get the mail and not have to worry about finding my keys, etc.

4. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how it it works in excessive colder temps (Warmer winter climate here), but I'm guessing it might be similar to how unlocking / locking is manually during the winter....it will depend on how the alignment is on your door. It could be a little better (it's motorized) but if something is off, it may not perform as well as expected.

That being said, I think it's great! I have the connect & I like being to know every time my door is open / closed (you'll get notifications & a log is avail on the August app). It works great with HomeKit & it's convenient using my watch or phone when I leave or arrive home.

There is a 30 day return policy (if you purchase from August) so you could try it out for a few weeks to see if it works for you. (Assembly & set up takes about 10 minutes). If you get it from a major retailer, I'm sure many have extended return periods during the Christmas season.