Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
So, I'm 16, and I'm looking for a job. A new Chick-fil-A is opening up right down the street from me on November 19th. I'm going to apply when I can. Does anyone here work there currently or have worked there in the past and can tell me what it's like, the hiring process, etc. Thanks..

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Nope, but I have a receipt from a Sunday from there. Chik-fil-A is one of two fast food chains we have on campus, the staff that works there is incredibly nice and friendly. Good luck.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Someone PM when I get back to Dallas (December) and I'll post it. I was in line on a Saturday night, maybe 10 cars in the drive thru, I was seventh. They got to me at 12:04 AM on Sunday. Rather then being rude and closing at 12, they served the last couple of us.

The original location is open until 3:00 AM? on Sundays, so it's not that rare.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
They are an excellent company to work for. They are very charitable as well, giving away free chicken for whatever reason. I have a friend that works there and he says it's a very friendly place to work. And Chick-fil-a is a Christian-owned restaurant, but doesn't mean you have to be to work there, of course. Hope you get the job! Get some free chicken for me! :)

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I don't understand any interest in the brand or the food. I only went when they opened up a location 6 miles from my work and offered up free chicken sandwiches with coupons. It's tolerable food but that's all. I would never choose to go there. I don't know anything about the working environment.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My old college roommate worked there for a couple of years after school. He started out in marketing and eventually became a store operator. He used to always hook me up with free sandwich coupons and stuff, it was awesome. He has moved on to a different work environment now, but I know he enjoyed his time at Chick-fil-a and appreciated that the company values it's employees.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I don't have any experience working there, but I just wanted to add that at every Chick-Fil-A I've been to, the employees are the most courteous and helpful I've come across in fast food. However they are selecting and/or training their employees, it is working. It is also the fastest place, and the food is always served hot.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Well this thread is interesting. I've never been to a Chick-fil-A and didn't even know it was pronounced 'filet' until I watched that video. Never heard anything about the place before.

Good luck with the job benflick!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well this thread is interesting. I've never been to a Chick-fil-A and didn't even know it was pronounced 'filet' until I watched that video. Never heard anything about the place before.

Good luck with the job benflick!

Not my type of food, but they do have funny ads and promotions.

Guess you never seen this before.

Attachments

• eat_more_chickensized.jpg
    eat_more_chickensized.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 90

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I had a friend in high school who interviewed with them. It could have just been that particular franchise he applied at, or a terrible manager, but my friend was asked about his religious beliefs during the interview.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Context is the determining factor regarding your friend being asked about his religious beliefs. It's reasonable that it could come up in conversation considering their company policy about being closed on Sunday. However, if he was asked to divulge his beliefs or put in a position where it was considered part of the application then that would not be appropriate.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Context is the determining factor regarding your friend being asked about his religious beliefs. It's reasonable that it could come up in conversation considering their company policy about being closed on Sunday. However, if he was asked to divulge his beliefs or put in a position where it was considered part of the application then that would be not be appropriate.

There's a fine line between asking about weekend scheduling and asking about religion for the purpose of determining weekend scheduling. An employer cannot and should not ask the latter, period.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I understand your point, but context still remains the determining factor. For example:

Manager: "I don't know if your religious or go to church or anything, but we are closed on Sundays because our founder and CEO has made that decision based on his own religious beliefs. I wanted to make sure you were aware of that in applying for a position here if it is an issue for you regarding hours or availability."

Applicant tells a friend later: "Man that manager asked me if I was a religious person and said they were a religious company. I don't think that's right..."

Misunderstanding and miscommunication is just part of being a human being. It happens to all of us. Not defending Chick-fil-a, just saying don't jump to conclusions.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I understand your point, but context still remains the determining factor. For example:

Manager: "I don't know if your religious or go to church or anything, but we are closed on Sundays because our founder and CEO has made that decision based on his own religious beliefs. I wanted to make sure you were aware of that in applying for a position here if it is an issue for you regarding hours or availability."

Applicant tells a friend later: "Man that manager asked me if I was a religious person and said they were a religious company. I don't think that's right..."

Misunderstanding and miscommunication is just part of being a human being. It happens to all of us. Not defending Chick-fil-a, just saying don't jump to conclusions.

I understand what you're saying - the context is important in determining the potential employee's interpretation but the manager in your hypothetical situation should have never used the word "religion" during an interview in the first place, period. End point. Full stop.

If this were a mom and pop chicken sandwich joint, it'd be understandable. But it's not. This is Chik-Fil-A, a company with annual revenue in the billions. They don't have an excuse for managers not being aware of the laws of the land, nor the principles behind them.

That said, I think it's great that they're closed on Sunday.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Again, I see your point, but don't you think that interpretation of the law is a little extreme. As I understand it you are not allowed to ask employees about their personal religious beliefs or discriminate based on that. I don't think there is any prohibition against the business owner explaining that his religious beliefs are at the root of any specific business decision. I mean what happens when an employee who doesn't know asks why they aren't open on Sundays? "Sorry, I can't tell you because it has to do with something we don't talk about due to legal restriction. All you need to know is that we are closed."

I like the principal behind why they are closed on Sunday as well, but I don't like it when a Sunday comes around and I'm craving a chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and lemonade. :(

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
If this were a mom and pop chicken sandwich joint, it'd be understandable. But it's not. This is Chik-Fil-A, a company with annual revenue in the billions. They don't have an excuse for managers not being aware of the laws of the land, nor the principles behind them.

Chick-fil-A (1946/Truett Cathy) is privately-held and family-owned U.S. restaurant with over 1,400 locations. Nobody is forcing anyone to work for them or buy their products (which happen to be among the best fast-food chicken sandwiches available). Letting potential employees know about Chick-fil-A work schedule (Sunday being closed) is not only correct; it is appropriate under the circumstances. No implication of religious was made [in my opinion]; only an explanation that the company practices that schedule. If you have objection to it don't patronize them or don't work for them.

That said, I think it's great that they're closed on Sunday.

Me too; I wish more retail and food establishments were closed Sundays so employees could spend time with family and honor/worship their faith if they choose to. Some of the older folks on the board may recall Blue Laws practiced in most states; where/when most stores/establishments were closed one day a week for such honor. Sadly, growing secularism ended this widespread practice.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Chick-fil-A (1946/Truett Cathy) is privately-held and family-owned U.S. restaurant with over 1,400 locations. Nobody is forcing anyone to work for them or buy their products (which happen to be among the best fast-food chicken sandwiches available). Letting potential employees know about Chick-fil-A work schedule (Sunday being closed) is not only correct; it is appropriate under the circumstances. No implication of religious was made [in my opinion]; only an explanation that the company practices that schedule. If you have objection to it don't patronize them or don't work for them.

Just state they're closed on Sunday, no need to bring religion into it. Just say "We are closed on Sunday. I see you're still in school and likely unavailable on weekdays and can only work on Saturdays, will being limited to 8 hours a week be a problem?" Why does religion even have to be mentioned?

Thankfully blue laws are gone. Chick-fil-a has every right to be closed on Sunday, but it should not be mandated by law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.