Anyone in here buying the edition Apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Locoboof, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I know there has to be at least a few people in here buying it,right?

I'll be honest,the only way I could afford the 15,000 edition watch is if I cleared out my checking account. Now since I'm not doing that,I will be buying two SS (42mm and 38mm) for me and my fiancée.

I know there's a few rich people in this forum,I'm just wondering who's really going to do it.

I think the only way I could buy one and feel comfortable was if I had at least 7 figures in my bank account.

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Only way I would EVER consider it is if innards are upgradable.

Or I rather spend that money on a Rolex + Sport/SS Apple Watch + invest the money somewhere else.

3. Locoboof thread starter macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I hear you. I'm just curious to see who.

4. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I doubt it.

Why would the super rich be following a message board? Can you imagine Paris Hilton or Donald Trump logging on here and posting? That's ridiculous. There is so much more to their lives like driving expensive cars, traveling, attending events with other rich and famous people, getting ready to attend those events, shopping, etc.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

It hardly requires 'super wealth' to spend $10k or more on the Edition. If someone with $5k a month in discretionary income wants to blow two months of that money on a watch, they will. It might not be a 'sensible' purchase, but if everyone stuck with sensible purchases then we'd all be wearing sub $100 watches and driving sub $20k cars.

6. Locoboof thread starter macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Good point!

7. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Someone making $40k buying the $1000 black SS is no different than someone making $400k buying the $10k edition. It's not billionaires or even millionaires that will buy it, just people over middle class.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed. $10,000-$15,000 is pocket change to some.;)

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Check out some of the other subforums - there is a "show your watch" thread where people regularly show off >$10,000 watches.

10. dba415 macrumors 6502

But people making 400k aren't dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that will be slow and outdated in a year. You have to be a millionaire to where 10k is like $20 to you in order to buy the edition.

----------

But people making 400k aren't dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that will be slow and outdated in a year. You have to be a millionaire to where 10k is like $20 to you in order to buy the edition.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Oh, but some of them are collectors. It's not about whether that watch will be outdated in a year or two. It's about whether it'll be valuable in 10-20 years or more.

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

People making $400k are dumb enough to buy $100k cars that are worth half of that inside a year, or spend $20k on a week's holiday that's reduced to a set of memories and photographs the moment the return plane touches down, or spend $1000 on a meal for two and a bottle of wine that will literally be flushed down the toilet a couple of days later.

13. Ries macrumors 68000

There is difference in what you listed, you are getting something extra out of those thing you listed. You're are not paying +$xxxx for just a paint job. It more like paying $3.000 for a car or $150.000 for the exact same car in yellow.

14. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

yes, because there are only 2 types of people in the world.

Speaking as someone who owns 10 watches over 1k (yes, I collect watches amongst other things), I will NOT be buying Apple watch edition not due to lack of funds, but because I can get the exact same one form 1/30 of the price.

15. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

You're getting something extra, yes, but a $100k car isn't four times faster than a $25k car; a $20k holiday isn't ten times as relaxing as a $2k holiday; a $1000 meal isn't fifty times as tasty or nutritious as $20 spent on pizzas and beers.

The extra you get with the Edition is the (relatively insignificant) value of the gold, but it's chiefly about exclusivity, and the warm glow you get when a stranger realises they're in the presence of someone who's laid out $17k on a shiny toy. There's no additional functionality over a $349 Sport, but the consumption of expensive cars / holidays / meals / watches isn't about 'utility'.

----------

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.

16. Ries macrumors 68000

But a $100k car is way faster, it has a more powerfull engine, it offers more comfort.
    But a $20k holiday give you world rundtrip with experiences that makes a $2k holiday look like you're camping in your back yard.

A $1000 meal will be a whole other level of experience and tastes than $20 at mcdonalds.

The edition gives you exactly the same thing as an android wear watch in gold.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

You're a very depressing person.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You reduced vacations and meals and transportation down to such base terms.

There is a far different experience in driving down the highway in a high-end sports car compared to a base model econo-box.

Memories of a great vacation with friends and/or family? Man... hard to put a price tag on that.

A great meal or two and the good conversation, ambience, a great bottle or two of wine? Again... memories. Hard to put a price tag on that.

I'd rather spend 17k on a vacation with my family and some great sites, dinners, etc... for the memories.

All of which I can do while wearing my sub 1k Apple Watch that will feel just like wearing a 17k Apple Watch. ;)

The example you really need is: Would you buy a Mercedes for 170k that has the same engine and overall finish level as the Mercedes you could buy with a different paint job and standard rims for 10k?

Nope. Most people would not.

But... someone would really love that paint job and those upgraded rims and they'd buy it. Sure... why not?

19. Bengy66 macrumors regular

Debating it...If supply is limited as rumors suggest, then there will be quite the demand initially for the Edition.That plan could be derailed if there is a restocking fee or 14 day return window is shortened. My guess is the one with the red band will fetch $30-40k in the after market early on.

20. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Mental note: mojolicious doesn't make much money, but thinks he's got it all figured out and is 'angry' at those that do make a good living.

21. Ries macrumors 68000

Buy one and tell me how it went :)

22. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh, I'm bailing from this thread. But to conclude: if you've got the money to spend $10k on an Edition, and you want to buy the Edition, then go ahead and buy it. If you're worried about future obsolescence and resale value then either you've not got quite enough money, or you've not got quite enough desire to own it.

----------

You're right on the first one, but what makes you think I'm 'angry'? Everything I've said here has been along the lines of 'if you've got money then buy stuff'. It's other posters who are saying that anyone who isn't a trillionaire would be crazy to by an Edition.

Go on, show me a post that suggests I'm 'angry'!

*prepares to debail from thread*

23. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Not only will it give you the same thing as android wear, but it also gives you the SAME thing as the SS and sports models! It's just in gold lol

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think you're correct, Bengy66.

I'm half tempted to buy a couple and resell them later.

I swear, I wish I had a crystal ball. Or an Apple Insider who knew how many of these they made initially.

25. Ries macrumors 68000

It boils down to this, if samsung took their wearables and made a gold casing for them, then demanded $17.000 for the exact same device just in gold, everyone would laugh their ass off. Now just because Apples does it, it is "jewellery".

Is is still just a relatively low cost gadget in gold with a limited usefulness lifespan (There will be a apple watch 2, maybe round, maybe just thinner). You'd be better off buying 10 SS and hand them out to friends, at-least you could send heartbeats and images to each other.