Anyone in NYC get their Verizon iPhone yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvilEvil, Feb 7, 2011.

1. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

If so, how is it working for you so far? Mine should be here tomorrow.

*crosses fingers*

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

As an AT&T iPhone 4 customer in NYC, I'd like to know this too. At my apartment I get incredible voice and data but in my office in SoHo my data is horrible in the middle of the day (voice is still good). It definitely has to do with congestion b/c early in the morning my data is perfect.

3. MY799 macrumors newbie

Got mine this morning. Works great so far!

4. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Awesome! How many bars do you get and how's the download speed?

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Can you download the Speedtest.net app and post your speeds? Also, can you let us know what area of the city you're in? Thanks!

6. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

will be home soonish.

im in lower manhattan and will post some screenshots/review soon.

7. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Thanks would be very helpful in helping me make a decision on whether to switch to Verizon or not. I posted these two speedtests in another thread but they're appropriate here as well. My voice is perfect in the city but my data speeds in my office in the middle of the day are close to non-existant (as seen below). It's really frustrating and the main reason I'm contemplating making the switch.

Attached Files:

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You would need an apples to apples 'time of day' comparison in the same location. The previous poster said they are located on the lower east side?

9. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

LES is very close to my SoHo office and those "speeds" are pretty consistent from around 10:30am to around 5pm.

10. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

LES is where I live. I dont have screenshots (nor can I get some at this point, because my AT&T iPhone is gone, so either take what I say or leave it), but I can confirm those (average) speeds, they are sometimes the same at night as well because its a "going out" area for all the NYU freshman who's parents pay for their iPhones.

In general NYC is horrible for AT&T data.

I can post a speed test on my Verizon iPhone once I get back home tonight.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Another factor is if and I say if Verizon network is good now but gets congested in the future. At one time 3G data was pretty good in NYC. I'm sure AT&T is aware of the issue and hopefully fixing it and then you would get the 3G you had once.

Remember the grass maybe greener for a short while.

12. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

The one thing I will say about Verizon's network capacity, is that it's leaps and bounds above AT&T's. I would be extremely surprised to see Verizon's network get congested. They have the most underground cabling of any current wireless provider, and the most bandwidth available for it's wireless network. It's possible the network could get bogged down but I highly doubt it.

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 3G data in NYC good up until late late last year?

14. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

15. ajpslp macrumors newbie

hate to ask stupid beginner questions but how do i do a screenshot and post it ? I just downloaded speedtest app and want to post results?

16. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Make sure your speedtest results are showing, then press the power button and the home button at the same time. That takes a snapshot of the screen and stores it in the folder all photos taken from the phone go. You should be able to figure out how to post it from there.

17. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Press both the on/off button and the home button at the same time. It will save the screen shot to your iphoto.

18. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

19. mets1125 macrumors regular

Im interested to know about Queens also

20. jas1973 macrumors 6502

you have to go to a different type of website for that kind of info

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Wasn't data great in NYC up until late last year?

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm hoping to see if there is decent 3G coverage in NYC. I'm heading there for business in a couple weeks with my AT&T iPhone and need to be able to utilize it.

But the real test is comparing the same amount of Verizon users to the same amount of AT&T users. An early Verizon test won't really tell a good story.

23. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Prepare for drop calls or not being to make a call at all :D

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What about 3G data? A NYC poster said he has no problem with voice but has problems with Internet 3G.

25. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

There are more Verizon customers in NYC than AT&T customers. Granted, the Verizon customers probably didn't consume as much data up to this point.