Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
I’m in UK and on O2 contract. Live voicemail is turned on in settings but if someone rings me there’s no option to push them to voicemail and I don’t see anything on Lock Screen.

Likely a bug but I’m curious if anyone has gotten it working?

Dave.Inwood1988

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2019
I’m also on O2 live voicemail switched on but just getting the standard voicemail/visual voicemail once call is over

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It's US only at the moment IIRC. Whether we will get it in the UK is anyone's guess. Don't forget, we never got the transcribe function from voicemail which the States have had for years and years and years.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
It's US only at the moment IIRC. Whether we will get it in the UK is anyone's guess. Don't forget, we never got the transcribe function from voicemail which the States have had for years and years and years.
Given it’s the same as me dictating into the phone I can’t see what the hold up here would be. It’s not like the mobile provider is having to do anything

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Given it’s the same as me dictating into the phone I can’t see what the hold up here would be. It’s not like the mobile provider is having to do anything

Because Apple I guess. Why do we never get the previous voicemail transcribing system? Because Apple.

God knows why they are segregating such features when the language is identical.

• Haha
Reactions: Pearsey

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
I guess from a technology standpoint it’s quite different. A regular voicemail and visual voicemail is recorded by the network and then relayed to your phone after the call. This would require the voice to be routed directly to your phone. That said, if you press a button to go to voicemail then there’s no reason the phone can’t “answer the call” and take the message directly and then allowing voice to text live.

Rousey

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I've had no luck with the voicemail nor have I managed to get voice messages transcribed within iMessage is that a us only thing too?

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
If you set your phones region to United States & reboot you’ll get live voicemail. I’ve had my phone like this since the beta and haven’t noticed any issues so far, you can set your metric and date preferences to UK etc

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
If you set your phones region to United States & reboot you’ll get live voicemail. I’ve had my phone like this since the beta and haven’t noticed any issues so far, you can set your metric and date preferences to UK etc

I *think* the downside to this is it uses the US dictionary/spelling?

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
I *think* the downside to this is it uses the US dictionary/spelling?
You can set your keyboard language to English UK, the only difference I’ve really noticed is that some of the items in settings are American for example “Cellular” menu instead of “Mobile data”

If you set Siri to Language English (US) you get voicemail transcriptions too, you can set the voice to British so again no real difference as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Saladin12

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Because Apple I guess. Why do we never get the previous voicemail transcribing system? Because Apple.

God knows why they are segregating such features when the language is identical.
It's not Apple it's the providers still working with very old versions of voicemail.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
If this works on phone - I’ll be happy. I’m on Three who never added Visual voicemail, and this sounds like it bypasses networks?

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I’ve done this and still no live voicemail for me. Do you have the transcribe option too?

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
I’ve done this and still no live voicemail for me. Do you have the transcribe option too?
Yeah voicemail transcribe now working too. Try setting Siri to English US too

My settings are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7858.jpeg
    IMG_7858.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_7857.png
    IMG_7857.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Even in Canada (which I'm pretty sure is supposed to have it) I couldn't get Live Voicemail to work without switching to US even though the toggle is there.

Very interesting the way it completely bypasses the need for Visual Voicemail which carriers try to charge for. Much nicer than having to call in to the regular voicemail. Still a few bugs to work out though.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Live Voicemail is completely independent from any carrier voicemail system. It’s on Apple.
lol, no it's not. That would be very scary, Apple just accessing your voicemail without any compliance from your carrier. That would be highly illegal.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
lol, no it's not. That would be very scary, Apple just accessing your voicemail without any compliance from your carrier. That would be highly illegal.
It‘s independent in the form, that your phone actually takes the call and transcribes the incoming voice in realtime. It doesn‘t involve any carrier voicemail (it potentially pushes the recorded voice message to carrier servers afterwards though, not sure).

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Yes, it is.

Apple is not accessing your voicemail in any way. If you choose to use Live Voicemail, everything is handled on device.

When you use Live Voicemail, the caller hears your chosen Siri voice tell them to state why they’re calling and that the other person might pick up, then Siri records and transcribes the caller, and if you don’t pick up, it’s saved to the device itself. If you choose to reject the call entirely, bypassing Live Voicemail, then it goes to your carrier’s voicemail system.

The two do not sync; Live Voicemails are not available on your carrier’s system, and carrier voicemails are not part of the Live Voicemail system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.