Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abusarlihah

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2023
If you set your phones region to United States & reboot you’ll get live voicemail. I’ve had my phone like this since the beta and haven’t noticed any issues so far, you can set your metric and date preferences to UK etc
you beauty, this worked a treat. i really like it but it doesn't work properly when screen is locked, that is a good feature but have found it a bit finnicky to unlock and stay on voicemail screen. all in all its so cool to have it. thank you

Reactions: palemonkey

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
you beauty, this worked a treat. i really like it but it doesn't work properly when screen is locked, that is a good feature but have found it a bit finnicky to unlock and stay on voicemail screen. all in all its so cool to have it. thank you
yeah agreed, the UX definitely needs some improving!

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Working on EE after changing region to US.

IMG_0234.jpeg

Khile

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2023
Just to confirm works on O2, EE and Smarty just need to set region and settings to us and then when your phone rings on right hand side you will see a voicemail button press that and the call will go to voicemail where Siri will answer the call instead of your carriers voicemail system

It should then live transcribed the call for you it's a bit hit and miss.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Any downside to changing region to US?

Thought would give it a go given the slight of spam callers lately

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Any downside to changing region to US?
Only one I've spotted is that $ and £ change places on the keyboard so to get to £ you need to go to the #+= menu. And there's one app that I use that obviously uses the default currency because it's now showing my energy prices in dollars (same numbers just different currency symbol). Neither are significant.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Only one I've spotted is that $ and £ change places on the keyboard so to get to £ you need to go to the #+= menu. And there's one app that I use that obviously uses the default currency because it's now showing my energy prices in dollars (same numbers just different currency symbol). Neither are significant.
Octo Aid 😁

Reactions: dallardice

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
If this works on phone - I’ll be happy. I’m on Three who never added Visual voicemail, and this sounds like it bypasses networks?

This was one of the features that I was massively looking forward to with iOS 17 – I think it's very strange that it's only US & Canada at the moment.

That could imply that it is indeed network specific, which may prove a problem for me.

I am on a small mobile provider called Popit who use the EE network.

I don't have Visual Voicemail either, so I'm hoping that this feature is unrelated and that I will still be able to get Live Voicemail once it is launched in the UK.

That's providing it is launched in the UK of course – we never got the Apple Pay by text feature that I was also looking forward to many years ago.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
The App Store region matches the region of the Apple ID that's currently signed in, not the region of the phone itself.
Example ..

I'm in France :

-Region set is US
- Phone Language is English
-Metrics
- ID is the one I use here in France and iCloud
-App Store is another ID I use for the US App Store
-French apps are in french
-US apps in english
-Keyboard is bilingual
-Siri is in french...it hasn't learned fringlish yet 🤷🏻‍♀️

So far it's working fine for me that way. I''m waiting to see how Live Voicemail works when I get a message in french , it should be fun 😂

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
It's a region-setting thing. It will work if you set your phone's region to US, but be warned that other things that are region specific to your region may not work. For example, I couldn't use Apple Pay for the longest time because it wasn't "available" in "Germany". Set my phone to USA and voila. Not only can I put cards in, but I was able to use them at contactless payment points. (Apple Pay is "available" in "Germany" for some years now, so when I switched back to Germany nothing happened.)

How do I know this? I have two iPhones, one personal and one for work. My work phone has been set to USA. My personal phone to Germany. Live voicemail worked on my work phone when set to USA, which leads me to believe that this is not a carrier technology, but simply the phone actually answering the call for you. Coincidentally the News app also only worked on my USA-set work phone.

Since the transcription is only set up for north American English at this time, I don't expect it to handle any of the litany of UK dialects and accents, nor do I expect it to handle any completely foreign languages with any form of grace.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I just assumed it was the same as showing the transcript of a message left on visual voicemail that the UK didn't get a few years back. Haven't got that since it was announced and the live transcript would be the same.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Since the transcription is only set up for north American English at this time, I don't expect it to handle any of the litany of UK dialects and accents

North American English probably has just as many accents as UK English...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.