Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulienBerthelot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Canada
I've been trying to install OS X Server 1.0 and OS X Server 1.2 without any luck. I am trying this on a white and blue G3, and each time it gives me something like: vector=3 memory access exception waiting for remote debugger connection.

I don't really know why I get this error message... Has anyone came across this kind of error?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
1.2 I have done but I have the original discs. If yours is a download, try redownloading or trying another source. Even though, 1.2v3 is basically only a minor update to accommodate G4 processors, I find that revision works best of all. You need older PowerMacs for 1.0.

Remember to install it completely within the first 8GB of the hard drive if installing onto an ATA drive.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I think a Pismo can use Server 1.0 or 1.2v3.
It cannot. The last one is the Lombard 333MHz with a CD drive but it only displays 256 colours. You are better off with a PDQ as far as laptops go.

Remember that all compatible Mac hardware needs to be stock. Once you start changing optical drives and graphic cards you run into trouble. Server 1.x has a very limited set of hardware drivers.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I haven't personally tried v1.0 or v1.2, but Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 installed without any problems on my Sawtooth G4 350Mhz (7400). I then put in a 7410 CPU @ 600Mhz and it works great - it runs the Rhapsody OS really fast! When I tried replacing the ATI Rage 128 Pro with a Radeon 9700 Pro, Server stopped booting, so I returned to the stock GPU and all was fine again.

Point being, if you have upgraded components, try some stock parts and see if it then allows you to enter.

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
It cannot. The last one is the Lombard 333MHz with a CD drive but it only displays 256 colours. You are better off with a PDQ as far as laptops go.

Remember that all compatible Mac hardware needs to be stock. Once you start changing optical drives and graphic cards you run into trouble. Server 1.x has a very limited set of hardware drivers.

Ok, can it use 1.2v3 which is the last version to support G4 ?

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I can tell you that OS X Server 1.0 to 1.2v3 (Rhapsody 5.5 and 5.6) are VERY picky when it comes to hardware. I've had the installer hang until I removed a factory installed SCSI card from a B&W G3. I've also had it throw fits over the optical drive that was installed. My best advice is if your intended host machine is compatible with OS X Server 1.0 or any later versions, try to get it as close to original factory hardware as possible, and remove any unnecessary stuff. Also, only one USB port on the computer is supported, so you'll need to connect your mouse to your keyboard.

You can view hardware requirements here:
http://www.rhapsodyos.org/hardware/system_requirements/system_requirements_1.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.