Anyone know CompUSA's discount as of 12/20?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dibara2003, Dec 20, 2007.

1. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

as the title states, anyone their most recent discount? preferably on mac hardware. thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, CompUSA is going out of business and have given their stores over to liquidators (all sales final - beware!). I was just there at lunchtime (Austin North store) and the discounts were nothing special. There were big signs advertising "10%-30% Off on Everything" but most discounts were fairly small. Apple computers were 5% off, Apple accessories 10% off, hdtv 15% off, most other discounts that I noticed were 10%. Considering the "all sales final" thing I wouldn't even consider buying at these prices.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll have to head down to my local CompUSA then. Maybe I can find something with 30% off. :rolleyes:

5. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

edited
    I just realized danny_w said everything I was going to say and about the same store, too.

I'll probably check back toward the end of the year to see if there are any more price drops. I took the opprotuenity to buy some nice paperstock and ink.

6. Fahrwahr macrumors member

I visited another location yesterday and saw the same "10% - 30% off everything" signs -- in small print at the bottom is the phrase "Excludes Computers and MP3 Players". The Apple computers did appear to be only 5% off, and the Apple / iPod accessories were 10% off. I didn't look hard enough to find any items that were 30% off. Sadly, the "Apple SWAS" section was not quite Apple-only, as the PC games wall extended into the Apple section. Oh well, an Apple Store opened just six miles away about seven months ago, so we won't be completely without an Apple option.

7. Thrawn macrumors member

I went to my CompUSA (california) the other day. THe dicount prices were around 10% for macs, but all of them were previose generation. For instance, macbooks were 2.16ghs.

8. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

The 10% is going to continue until the 23rd I have heard. Then the next round is coming.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've been privy to two of these in the last year, and I can say that until the final days, Apple stuff will only be discounted 10%, and anything else of use will be lightly discounted for a few weeks at least. The last one I knew of took 15+ weeks. Also, many of their discounts only bring the prices to those of Circuit City or Best Buy. THAT is why they failed... To Expensive and that extended warranty they had cost them dear.

TEG

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm just waiting for 80% off Mac Pros... yeah, right...

11. ivnj macrumors 65816

Compusa went out of bussiness in Chicago only. I wasn't aware the rest of the country was following suit. I thought everywhere was still ok.

Anyhow they'are all gone. That was june or so of 2007. But prices were never more than 10 percent on computers. Some might of been 30 but even 30 was not worth it. I'd rather pay a 100 extra and get 3 years warentee.

ivnj

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I work at the Metairie store (New Orleans area), and the discounts are pretty much spot on with what danny_w said.

One nice thing is that if you're looking for a new machine, all the Applecare protection plans are now at a 20% discount. I'm planning to wait until they maybe go a bit deeper discount, and grab one for my Mac Pro I'll be buying very soon....

They don't tell us when the next round of cuts is coming - we usually find out when we arrive at work.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They closed most of their stores earlier this year (or was it last year?). Not the rest of them are closing up.

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

Actually, the whole sha-bang is shutting down. No more CompUSA.

The day the liquidators took over, they locked in the regular retail prices into the POS. All the good stuff will be sold to other companies at cheap rate. What is left in the stores will be the junk. No returns, exchanges, refunds on anything bought after December 12.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10-15% off on accessories, Macs, and software right now.

No Apple keyboards sadly.

16. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I went there last night to check out what was on sale. Here in Louisville they seemed to have marked up everything and then gave a little discount. I was looking for a camera and it was $50 more there with their discount than I could buy it at Best Buy. The Mac stuff was all pretty much picked over and looked worn out.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

I found an open box airport extreme a while ago for $90. I bought it.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not much of a deal.

I got a new Airport Express for $96 a few years ago.

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

20. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I was looking for logic studio, 15% off. Comes out to about $457.87 with tax but I could avoid all the trouble and get it on amazon for $20 more.

The problem is finding something that is worth it, then finding out it was not in stock.

Atlease on amazon, it is in stock. :D

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

It certainly beats paying the $180 that I would have to pay elsewhere...

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Express, Extreme I see.

23. Kinetic macrumors member

Don't expect too much

When the one near me (Raleigh, NC) went out of business, the Apple stuff stayed at 10%-15% up until the last few days. By then, it was completely picked over and they didn't have anything good. They did, if I remember correctly, put the software at 30% before they did the rest. The only thing I was able to get was a .Mac for half off. (I figured that was cheap enough to justify trying it.)

24. Josheua macrumors regular

At My Local Store, Apple Hardware goes for 5% off, Applecare for 20% off, Mac Games and Software for 15% off. Other items vary from 5% to 30%.

-Josh :apple:

25. danidoll521 macrumors regular

It's the same at my local store (Towson MD). Apple hardware is still only 5% off and there is hardly anything left at that.

What can we realistically expect for Apple accessories and software? Should I keep a lookout at my local store, or is it not worth it?