Anyone know how to automatically send at e-mail every week

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2Cheap2Switch, Oct 20, 2007.

1. 2Cheap2Switch macrumors member

My friend and I have a flag football league at our college, and we would like to know how to setup mail so that it automatically sends at e-mail every week at a specific time. Can anyone help with this?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iCal should be able to do it.

When you set an alarm for the event, you can select "email".

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can do that, but it is limited in that iCal will only send reminders to an e-mail address in the "ME" card in Address Book -- not to arbitrary e-mail addresses, at least, not without a hack of some kind.

See here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342166

If you can create a listserv e-mail alias for all your people, you can put it in as an "other" e-mail address in your Ad Book card and then select it in iCal.

This seems complicated but I guess it might be a possibility, esp if it's a recurring event (seems like someone could make a plugin out of this to simplify it).

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021018060343300  

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

You could also use cron and the command-line program "mail" to send this. That would go out from your computer, but would not appear in your "sent messages", and might not make it to some addresses (since it is you computer sending it directly).

5. numlock macrumors 68000

Seems like something you could do in automator

What you would need to do is create a group for all the recipients.

In automator
    New mail
    To: The newly created group
    Subject: yadayadayada
    Send outgoing messages

And save it as a plugin, an ical alarm and in ical set it up to for the correct time & date and repeat pattern