Anyone know how to disable core services on boot up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbg232, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I know how to disable start-up items on the login screen, my question is when I view the running processes, if there is something that I don't want to start that isn't on the login item list how do I disable this? I know in windows you could use msconfig and that would enable you to disable startup items and core services if you didn't want them but I don't know how to do this on a mac. The apple store people had no freaking clue what to do and the genius bar was way too busy (although sometimes I doubt those genius' genius)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

This might be what you're looking for (from Finder Help):

"Start up in Safe Mode (Only essential Mac OS X items are started. Some features and applications might not work correctly.)

Hold down the Shift key immediately after the startup tone and release when you see the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear)"

You can also startup in Single User mode by holding cmd-S on startup.

Do a search on Keyboard Shortcuts in Finder Help for the complete list.

3. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

How do I choose which core services to disable though and not just all of them?

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Wait what???

Why would you want to disable coreservices?

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You could use Lingon (Google it), but honestly unless you know what you're doing, you don't want to disable anything. Most likely you're break your OS.

6. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

What I really want to disable is software that installs itself to load on bootup but is not in the login items screen, is there any easy way to do this?

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

mnkeybsness hit the nail on the head. Disabling core services wouldn't necessarily have affected their startup anyway.