Anyone know more than one language?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Liquinn, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Liquinn, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Liquinn Suspended

Hi, just wonder if anyone here knows two or three languages? How did you go about learning them? I'm learning Spanish (Spain Spanish) and I'm sorta getting there, though it is difficult. What's the best way to learn a language without being in the country? Shall I try and build up my words/phrases day by day/a bit at a time? XD :)
    Thanks.

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I know English, I think that's foreign to some people.

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Perhaps I should have made the question "Does anyone here know two or more than one language"? :L

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

In that case, I know a little bit of spoken Korean and Japanese, but not very well.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

English as my first language, I also speak Spanish, Italian and Welsh. I can't write in any of them except English though...Welsh is particularly hard to write, but I get by conversationally.

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

More people in the world speak Spanish than English apparently.
    What's the best way to learn Spanish without being in the country? :)
    Any tips? :D

7. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Watch Spanish TV such as news or soap operas. That's how i picked up up really quick. I also speak mandarin, Cantonese, chiu-chow, Vietnamese and can get by with Japanese.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Actually I think it's Chinese(Mandarin), English, then Spanish.

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I happen to know some foreign languages, some better some worse. Best thing for me was always to get at least the basic structure theoretically straight - learn the basic words and expressions via book and then join lots of natives - if possible. Besides that, I suggest watching movies with foreign subtitles, then proceed switching to foreign spoken language with English (?) subtitles and finally just the original.

Starting with Sesame Street. :)

10. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Spanish, Catalan and Italian fluently.
    I can speak English and I can read and understand spoken French and Portuguese

11. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Nice. :) I need advice with Spanish; any tips or anything? Gracias!

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's like you say really I learned because I was in an environment wher the languages were spoken...Some people swear by Rosetta Stone although I can't vouch for it as I've never used the software. Check out the MAS...seem to be quite a few language tutors there.

I don't think there is any real substitute for either having a freind who speaks another language, or actually being in a situation where you have to speak it though..:)

13. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Yeah I guess, I only know one person who speaks Spanish and I see her at college. She speaks the Mexcian Spanish and not the Spanish Spanish but still; it's good to get my written stuff checked by her sometimes. :p

I guess practice makes perfect. :p

I try and use translators, dictonaries, I try and watch Spanish TV and speak Spanish to my dad once a day or 6 times a week. Thoughts? XD

14. Mito macrumors regular

I´m speaking Slovak (thanks this I don´t have any problems to understand and communicate with Czech or Poland people). Apparently I know English which I´m also studying, other then that I´m speaking pretty well Spanish.

speaking = ability to write and speak in that language.

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Proper English or what passes for English in America?:D I can't get the handle of proper English; been living in the States for waaaayy too long.:eek:

Anyhow, I find the best way to learn a language is to THINK in that language. I've stuck post-it notes on everyday items as an aid. As always, your mileage may vary.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't speak "The Queen's" English, but I try to use proper grammar. That's not exactly what I meant by my first post though. What I was trying to imply was that English is a foreign language to people who come from a country that doesn't natively speak English. So if you speak English as a second language, I speak the same foreign language. I know, a lame joke.

17. malman89 macrumors 68000

I only know English (US).

However, I do know more than enough German and Italian that when I was in those countries (or in Poland used German too) to get by.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Oh and a follow up, I have dated girls (now married to one) from 3 different Asian countries. They have all said that they think in English often, and even dream in English. The girl that I dated who had the best English grew up speaking Korean and Mandarin and English was her 3rd language.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

English, with a strong hint of blasphemy thrown in with the swearing,

20. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I guess it's just practice, the same with anything else. Still, will be worth spending the time on it now so I can speak it when I go there in 2014. :)

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

As long as you won't go to Catalunya, it'll be fine. There you're actually better off speaking English than Spanish.

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

English and French ( the latter was taken in School and enhanced by living in Québec for a while)

Rosetta branded materials are said to really work for people (not just their own marketing, i have heard it from many)

...oh and also Python...does that count?

23. r i c h macrumors member

English and Japanese.

I would suggest that you take a few formal classes, use SRS programs (like Anki) to drill vocab, listen to podcasts/talk radio, watch TV/movies, read as many books as possible, keep a journal, and most importantly, converse with others.

Learning a language, especially in the beginning/intermediate stages, takes a lot of dedication.

24. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

English and Greek.

I endured 12 years of Greek school side by side going to normal school.

25. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Ah...I wasn't referring to English English or American English. I was commenting on the sad state of the language in everyday use in America. Grammar and spelling has taken a back seat. It gets worse when Texting is involved. It's no wonder foreigners speak better English than natives. Seems like the language is devolving back into Olde English; from before they invented spelling. A lot of the text messages I've read reads like Chaucer without the eloquence.