Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
If you want an old-school dungeon crawler, with modern-ish graphics try looking at Legend of Grimrock.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Found a potential new dungeon crawler, TinyKeep.

I only ever did a sort of kickstart on one game, they said it would be released via the Apple App store and elswhere once completed but needed funds to develope. So your pre order was meant to help development, that was a few years ago, still nothing, just sits as an online only beta.

So now when I hear the word kickstarter/pre order to aid development I run in the opposite direction, fast.

Last edited:

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
I only ever did a kickstart on one game, they said it would be released via the Apple App store and elswhere once completed but needed funds to develope. That was a few years ago, still nothing, just sits as an online only beta.

So now when I hear the word kickstarter I run in the opposite direction, fast.
What game was that?

dislekcia

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Here it is - http://www.desktopdungeons.net/

Do not buy/Pre order, I Pre ordered it well over a year ago and have never ever received anything, just looked and it is STILL an online BETA.

Also just been around that site and can find no way to contact them.

You didn't get your beta registration email? Sorry! Something went horribly wrong there... Can you email me via info at QCFdesign dot com so I can sort this out?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
You didn't get your beta registration email? Sorry! Something went horribly wrong there... Can you email me via info at QCFdesign dot com so I can sort this out?

Yes I did get the registration mail, yes I did play the online BETA for a bit.

I did as others do pay for a pre order, how long before I/we get a product ?

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I find that Diablo III fits the bill nicely. It's perfect for 30 minute grind sessions where you can kind of turn off your mind and listen to music.

dislekcia

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Yes I did get the registration mail, yes I did play the online BETA for a bit.

I did as others do pay for a pre order, how long before I/we get a product ?

Ah, ok, so you have been able to play in the beta. I was worried our emailing system was having issues...

We're in the final stretch now, working on polishing up the interface and getting the game as friendly to new players as possible. I would love to give you a hard date, but I'm terrible at predicting these things, sorry :( We know what the finished game looks like now, balance is done and the gameplay itself won't be changing, so hopefully you'll be able to claim your Steam code for the full game in the next few months.

I can understand that you'd be annoyed by the long wait, if you'd like a refund, email me and we can sort that out.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Ah, ok, so you have been able to play in the beta. I was worried our emailing system was having issues...

We're in the final stretch now, working on polishing up the interface and getting the game as friendly to new players as possible. I would love to give you a hard date, but I'm terrible at predicting these things, sorry :( We know what the finished game looks like now, balance is done and the gameplay itself won't be changing, so hopefully you'll be able to claim your Steam code for the full game in the next few months.

I can understand that you'd be annoyed by the long wait, if you'd like a refund, email me and we can sort that out.

Many thanks for the update.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Path of Exile is pretty good.

It's Windows only, but there is an unofficial Wine port out there that works just fine. It's a pretty decent game. The economy is weird as hell (there's no gold, everything is based around bartering crafting supplies), and everyone will try to **** you sideways when you're trading- but other then that it's a pretty solid ARPG.

Someone mentioned Diablo 3 and I wouldn't go there, but that's just my opinion having wasted $60 on it. There's better stuff out there to play now. If you want something like Diablo 3, there's always Torchlight 2, which again runs fine under WINE.

-SC

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Diablo III is a typical dungeon crawl. Runs great and natively on OSX. And is really brain-dead casual. Sounds like what the OP was asking for.

** it's only casual if you stay away from the AH. But once you get sucked into the AH, it becomes an obsessive-compulsive disorder. :D

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Diablo III is a typical dungeon crawl. Runs great and natively on OSX. And is really brain-dead casual. Sounds like what the OP was asking for.

** it's only casual if you stay away from the AH. But once you get sucked into the AH, it becomes an obsessive-compulsive disorder. :D

How can you say D3 is "brain dead casual"?

The highest difficulty level is nothing but casual. And the rest of the game is shallow enough that there isn't any point replaying the same difficulty over and over and over. And it's basically impossible to progress at a reasonable pace without using the auction houses.

If you want to get anywhere in that game, it's a full time job. For casual players, the first difficulty level might be enjoyable, but anything other then that is typically an exercise in frustration.

-SC

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
How can you say D3 is "brain dead casual"?

The highest difficulty level is nothing but casual. And the rest of the game is shallow enough that there isn't any point replaying the same difficulty over and over and over. And it's basically impossible to progress at a reasonable pace without using the auction houses.

If you want to get anywhere in that game, it's a full time job. For casual players, the first difficulty level might be enjoyable, but anything other then that is typically an exercise in frustration.

-SC

It's brain-dead casual, exactly like I said. What thinking do you need to do by clicking or right-clicking buttons to obliterate monsters? You count that as cerebral activity? :eek:

As I made the exemption in my above post, I even made sure to mention that perusing the AH changes the game commitment entirely. Nevertheless, most D3 players pretty much agree that the game can be finished on Normal and Nightmare with minimal use of the AH. Sure, the hardcore Blizzard nerds will spend dozens of hours in the AH trying to get uber items in order to survive Hell and Inferno difficulty. But then you missed the point of this entire thread, didn't you? The OP wanted a casual game. And slugging it all the way to Inferno and Hell difficulties is beyond the scope of casual gaming.

I think I touched a nerve with you because... GASP... I actually enjoyed the game, and openly recommended it, in contrast to your pure animosity towards it. If Blizzard did something to piss in your coffee in some day past, then that fight is between Blizzard and Yourself. It doesn't change the fact that me and thousands of others have found many hours of enjoyment with the game. Let's agree to disagree. :D

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
It's brain-dead casual, exactly like I said. What thinking do you need to do by clicking or right-clicking buttons to obliterate monsters? You count that as cerebral activity? :eek:

As I made the exemption in my above post, I even made sure to mention that perusing the AH changes the game commitment entirely. Nevertheless, most D3 players pretty much agree that the game can be finished on Normal and Nightmare with minimal use of the AH. Sure, the hardcore Blizzard nerds will spend dozens of hours in the AH trying to get uber items in order to survive Hell and Inferno difficulty. But then you missed the point of this entire thread, didn't you? The OP wanted a casual game. And slugging it all the way to Inferno and Hell difficulties is beyond the scope of casual gaming.

I think I touched a nerve with you because... GASP... I actually enjoyed the game, and openly recommended it, in contrast to your pure animosity towards it. If Blizzard did something to piss in your coffee in some day past, then that fight is between Blizzard and Yourself. It doesn't change the fact that me and thousands of others have found many hours of enjoyment with the game. Let's agree to disagree. :D

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii/user-reviews

You are in the minority. I'm happy that you found enjoyment in the game after all. Really, I am.

However, you cannot deny the fact that the auction house is a huge portion of the game. The lead designer himself (Jay Wilson) later said that the game was tweaked and designed around the auction house. He later reflected upon that decision and admitted that, in hindsight, it was probably a bad idea.

So I fail to see how purchasing a game for $50 or $60 then ignoring at least 40% of it is somehow a sane decision. That's just you trying to make the best of a crappy situation, and I don't blame you. If I could have simply chosen to enjoy my time in-game, I certainly would have, but I didn't.

There are other games out there like Torchlight 2 that don't have an auction house. They spent all their time making an awesome and fun game to play, and that's what you get for $20. My point is that if you want a casual dungeon crawler, Diablo 3 is the wrong purchase because it is not designed to be that. You should not have to "ignore" significant parts of the game just to make it bearable, then convince yourself that it's OK the higher difficulties are off-limits to you just because you're purposefully avoiding in-game features (which you have already admitted are bad simply by choosing to ignore them).

-SC

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Would you guys consider Dragon Age a true Dungeon Crawler? Origins and DA2 Work pretty well on my MBP (natively, no boot-camp or parallels). It's got a bit more story so you might need a bit more than 30 minutes, but great game.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
What about
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
The Heretic series (you need a Doom port like ZDoom to run, and it's more of an FPS than dungeon crawler, but whatever)
As quite a few other people said above me, Legend of Grimrock is probably the preferable choice these days, but these classics are still really fun.

Also is there any way to play the original Elder Scrolls on the Mac?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.