Anyone know of a good game for a toddler?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by shu82, Mar 29, 2009.

1. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I have a 1.5 year old who has discovered the iMac g3 in his room. We just use it to stream music for him. But recently he has learned it is fun to push the button to put it to sleep and wake it up. I have been thinking of putting a keyboard in there as he is really interested in mine. But there isn't anything sort of game that I think he would understand. Is there anything that would lets say.... puts up and says "R" when he presses the R key? Or anything else that simple out there?

That alone could keep him busy for hours, and get him educated on what a keyboard is for. Any ideas?

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I've heard of Leapster games.. but not sure if that'd be too advanced for a toddler or not haha just know of them.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have a 4 year old who loves laptops, especially ibooks. Now busy learning my password for my powerbook (she's memorised half of it so far, despite me trying not to let her see it).

1.5yo is a bit young for keyboard work. They just like bashing it. Give her an old keyboard, but no need to plug it in, just let him / her bash it.

Or plug it in and put up Textpad or MS word with the text at 400% is fun, lets them see a link between keyboard bashing and something happening on screen.

BBC CBeebies has lots of games and stuff for toddlers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

I had a touchscreen phone, and my 2yo loved scribbling in the notetaker app. Perhaps you could buy a tablet and pen - I've heard good things about wacom bamboo - or just get the cheapest one off Amazon and accept that anything electronic will not survive todder contact for long.

Cheap digital cameras are good too, you can get an old tough one for about £30 and let them snap away and save any pics for later.

The best thing is still a pile of paper and a bucket of pens and other smudge-making material. Cheaper too.

4. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Giggles Baby Computer Fun

http://www.giggles.net/products.php

But my (now 27 months) son outgrew all the games before he was 2. I did get a demo from somewhere, before I bought the first one, may have been a magazine cover cd.
    Another cavest, it requires OSX (10.1) as a minimum.

Like your little one, mine likes to press the power button on the Mac Pro, but only when I'm working on it.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

:rolleyes: Yup. Mine presses the power button on my macbook when I'm working too. 'to get the DVD out' :rolleyes:

Electric cattle prods work well. Allegedly.

Have you tried a bit of stiff card or hard plastic taped over the power button?

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

hahaha power buttons always seem to be pressed when you're working on it.

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

A ball, some grass, some sunshine. Good ingredients for a healthy lifestyle.

8. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Done the hard plastic, took him less than 3 minutes to peel it off and run off with it, never found it.

Now when he's around I give up the MP and jump on my MDD (which is better hidden). He jumps on the MP, fires up iTunes and watches a movie, usually Cars.

9. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

No, we kind of think that he is learning what things do. Its an imac g3. So he could undo his bottle and pour it all over it for all I care (barring safety reasons of course). I've got three more in the garage. I'm a bit of a mac addict, and he is my little destroyer. Yen and Yang as it seems.

Please keep the sites/ideas coming we are loving this!!!!!

10. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

I seem to pick up a lot of 2nd hand PC games from the 2nd hand PC game shops. Targetting 3-4yo, they're usually less than $1, themed on Noddy, Fireman Sam, etc. Most are Fisher Price. Don't let the PC requirements put you off, read the small print, more often than not, it's Mac OS8 and OS9 compatible too, some even work under Classic.