Anyone know when Best Buy is getting the new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by otto-matic, Oct 15, 2008.

1. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

No one knows for sure. They get trucks in on Mondays and Fridays. So we may see them right before, or right after the weekend.

On the other hand, the BestBuy Canada website and Future Shop(the more popular electronics store here in Canada)both show that they won't be releasing the new Macbooks until October 31st. So we'll see. I'm guessing that they just put up the 31st to be safe. I'm guessing we'll see them on Monday, after the weekend.

2. gnikcjack macrumors member

I called 2 local Best Buy's and they both said it would take a little over two weeks, so well into November.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

4. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

yeah went I went today, no go.

I am holding out on the 2 year interest free financing.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I wouldn't necessarily trust what they're saying today. When the new iPods were released last month, all of the local Best Buy stores around here had them in stock within just 2-3 days. I'm planning on stopping by Friday evening to see if they have any by then.

6. yourdream macrumors regular

Yeah, that is what I thought as well.

7. seg82 macrumors newbie

The store here told me they'd have them sometime in November.

8. otto-matic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, seems like we're all getting different answers. When I called the store they didn't seem to have a clue.

9. tkiss macrumors regular

I called two local stores and a Computertree, and they all said around this weekend.

10. budkid macrumors regular

Just call your local Bestbuy day and night. I have been calling the Apple store every 2 hours today if they were in yet.

11. Solema macrumors newbie

I went to my local Best Buy today (Mayfield Heights, OH), and talked to four different people. The first three couldn't even find it in the system, and one said they wouldn't get them till November or December. The fourth guy (whom I had previously also bought an HDTV from a year ago) found it in the system in 5 minutes, and processed a "sold order" for me, so they will call me when it arrives and I can just come pick it up since I already paid for it.

Their system showed four $1299 MB's ordered, and the guy said that it usually takes a day to go from "ordered" status to "in transit" and then a couple days from then to arrive. He said they will likely have it in by this weekend.

I'd urge any of you that really want to get it from Best Buy to GO TO THE STORE and talk to several people until you get someone who's been there a long time and knows what he/she is doing.

Normally I wouldn't bother with all this trouble, but this laptop is a gift from my in-laws to my wife, and we had returned the last-gen MB and gotten all $1400 on a BB gift card.

12. Sangmort macrumors newbie

As a Best Buy Employee;

o1. The truck dates very from store to store.
    o2. We will probably try to sell out most of the old stock before getting the new ones in.
    o3. You'll know the Best Buys have them when the new macbooks appear on the Best Buy Website. [ which they have yet to do :( ]
    o4. Also, the new macbooks have not been announced in our "employee news" so the only employees who will know about it right now are the Apple Fans.

I'm just as anxious as you guys, I want to see what our discount is :) ~

13. Solema macrumors newbie

Yeah, I wasn't as concerned as to when exactly they'd get them in. I was more concerned about actually getting one when they do come in, because I know they're gonna sell fast. Since I got my sold order in, I can breathe easy knowing I'll get one of the first batch in and my wife can stop using her CrapBook 1GHz.

14. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

Same store I went to people are useless there, if they sold Macs in Mentor I would be there in a second.

15. Sangmort macrumors newbie

I'll admit, I was actually quite surprised by how many phone calls the Sales Ops were getting regarding the new Macbooks. My store, which is a Size "C" [ with "D" being the highest ] Easily sells only about 3 maybe 4 macbooks a day. [ & with this economy, we're lucky if they buy that. Everyone's about the crappy yet affordable $499 Dell / Compaq / Toshiba / Acer. ]

But really, people have been asking about the new ones like mad. And barely any employees even know there are new ones, which only adds to the poor customer's frustration :(

If anything, when it shows up on BestBuy.com, use the "store pick-up" option. I think they'll have it available for the new macs, and it pretty much guarantees you can get your hands on one. :) ~

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I called my Best Buy today and they said it would be 6-8 weeks before they are in stock. :mad:

17. Solema macrumors newbie

I wouldn't buy a $499 Dell, but I would definitely consider an $800 Dell if we had to spend our own money (not her parents') and if she didn't have to have a Mac for teaching. As impressive as the new MB's are, we simply couldn't justify spending $1300 on ANY laptop right now. And I know much of the country is in the same boat we are in. I guess that's what frustrated me most about the lack of a price cut on the new MB's. I get the feeling that either Steve Jobs is incredibly blind to the economy, or he just doesn't care.

Either way, Apple continuing to price their laptops so much higher than PC laptops during this hard economic time is starting to make them appear eliteist in my opinion.

18. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I don't see many other high end manufacturers in any industry drastically dropping their prices due to the economy right now either. Besides, Apple has never served the low end price market anyway regardless of the state of the economy. And they do have a $999 model and also offer educational discounts, so no, you do not have to spend $1,300 to get an Apple notebook right now.

19. Solema macrumors newbie

Mercedes and BMW market their cars as luxury vehicles, and openly embrace their eliteism. Apple has always marketed Macs as "computers for the rest of us" and their price defies that logic.

I know I could get a cheaper MacBook like the base last-gen MB for $999, but even that is more expensive than the wife and I would be comfortable paying for a laptop, especially one that only comes with 1GB of RAM and a small hard disk. Like I said, I'm happy we're getting the new MB, but we are only getting it because we didn't have to pay for it.

Like I said earlier, I love the new MB's and I'm excited to get one, but I do think that Apple's current pricing, given the economic hardships in the US, is contradictory to their advertising.

20. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

21. Solema macrumors newbie

Has anyone else actually gone to the store? Calling them is just a waste of time.

22. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

I finally went to the store and got some answers. Apparently apple does surprise shipments, so knowbody knows when they will get them. All 3 best buys in my area have them on order but that's the best information they have at the time. One employee told me it mite be a week and another employee told me maybe 2-3 weeks, they really have no clue though other than "there on order" since apple does the surprise shipments. The guy told me to call back every day till they get them and to just give them the model number so that they can look it up. I also found out that for apple products at best buy while phrase "on order" means nothing, the phrase "in transit" means that they actually recieved the product at the store from an apple truck, they just have not been able to check it in yet. So if you call and the employee says that it's "in transit" that means they have them in the back so hurry down to the store. Hope this helps somebody

23. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

Just picked up mine today, did they call you?

24. Solema macrumors newbie

No, they didn't call me. I called yesterday night and gave them the SKU and had them check stock and the girl said they had them in stock. I told her I did a "sold order" a few days before and she said it wasn't showing up in the system regarding their initial allotment. I ended up just going down there last night and was able to snag mine. All's well that ends well!

And this thing really is pretty nice!

On a funny note, when I showed my receipt the the guy at the door to leave he looked at it and said "Man, these things are more expensive than I thought!"