Anyone knows how well the new Touch is selling?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by agkm800, Sep 19, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

My guess is that it's not selling well at all. If that's indeed true, will Apple release the camera version sooner than later?

2. solaris7 macrumors regular

geeezzz.....

guys, give this camera thing a rest.................

3. BigMac25 macrumors newbie

I just bought one today

For me I didn't even think twice about getting one. My main reason is the processing speed. 50% faster = time saved = money saved. Genius bar, voice control, and graphics improvements are a nice plus. I don't even think I would use the camera. If I want to take a pic, I would just pull out the Canon and use that since the picture would probably be much better. I have enjoyed Apple products and I want to support them.

4. bigm978 macrumors member

if you look on apple.com under store, "most popular" the ipod touch has dropped behind all of the other ipods

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That may only account for online purchases from Apple.com. It doesn't take into account purchases thru places like Amazon or the multitude of Apple hardware resellers at Target, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, or the retail store locations.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I support this. The camera shouldn't be the breaking factor...lol

7. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

How exactly are you saving money? IMO :D A little time saved here and there loading things quicker on your iPod isn't exactly going to save you money you would have otherwise lost had you waited longer :p

8. BigMac25 macrumors newbie

Just think.. if I used the 3g touch to get directions to the store to buy a lottery ticket that I hit the jackpot vs the 2g touch that might have been a customer late would then be a well justified purchase! :p

9. mexxx macrumors newbie

i laughed at this :p
    anyhow.. im unsure how ' well ' its selling but i did buy 2 touches if that makes a difference. and it wasn't through apple.

10. tenand2indy macrumors member

Actually, under Top Sellers on the right side of the store page, the list goes:

iPod

* 1.iPod touch
    * 2.iPod nano
    * 3.iPod shuffle
    * 4.iPod classic
    * 5.iPod nano or iPod shuffle - AppleCare Protection Plan
    * 6.Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic
    * 7.Nike + iPod Sport Kit
    * 8.Apple USB Power Adapter
    * 9.iTunes Gift Cards

I bought a new Touch. I waited for the Sept release: it happened, I liked what I saw, I ordered.

I really think that Touch sales are not going to drop because this release doesn't have a camera, or didn't get tweaked enough to appease die-hard fans. As holiday shopping ramps up, Apple's going to have another spectacular year. Likewise, I think MS will move a lot of Zunes. But the number of dissatisfied fanboys who really wanted a camera or a mic or whatever is a drop in the bucket. Apple has moved how many millions of Touches? The majority of those are people who have never heard of iLounge, or macrumors, or ipodtouchfans.

Those who believe Apple dropped the ball on this release MAY or MAY NOT be correct. But that won't keep the average electronics consumer from buying it for his kid/sister/cousin/GF or whatever.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And your guess would be way off. These things are selling like hotcakes. You can get an iPod touch for just a little more than a nano. So why get the nano? It's practically the same price as the classic, so why get the classic?

12. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The stores in my city that carry iPods (Futureshop, The Source, London Drugs) don't have them in yet. So I think sales will pick up once they are back in stores.

Greg

13. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I don't think many people are upgrading. In terms of new purchases I think Christmas time will tell.

I see the iPod nano and the Zune HD outselling the touch during christmas time

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:confused: Nano? No way. The Zune? only in a perfect world*. However, Apple has cleverly made its name the epitome of class and the Zune has been cast as a cheap imitation.

*I mean a world where the consumer judges by what's important instead of fandom. Get the iPod touch for games and apps or get the Zune for the Zune pass.

15. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Anyone know how well the new Touch is selling?

I'm going to put my money on "at least 4."

I agree with the above sentiment. People aren't going to see cameras in the nano and say, "Oh, the nano has a camera. Therefore the touch is going to get one soon. Therefore I'm going to wait for that."

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

no interest in the ipod touch. would absolutely love a zune HD

17. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

no way? you have no idea about business. ipod nano is the best ipod has ever been sold from Apple. it's cheaper than ipod touch. now, it got camera, bigger screen, other good features. usually, it is already out selling than ipod touch. Zune? I am not sure if MS do something about improvement on apps, games, whatever soon. the whole zune market share is only 1.1%. it's almost not existed. even Zune HD will take it over. it will be temporary. zune will never be better.

18. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

^ exactly

The Zune HD is selling out every where already actually. Any day now I am sure they will release the SDK. I see more decent games coming to the Zune HD than crap games which will bring a lot of people in.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Anyone who has been specifically wanting their first Touch will find the new one a great value and they'll be delighted with it. Most who have a 2nd gen Touch won't bother getting a 3rd. Not enough different despite the new speed and capacity. Zune HDs are selling faster than they are being produced. I suspect middle aged baby boomers who have outgrown their ipods are buying them. Plenty of spare cash, and a renewed desire to expand their music awareness. This Zune isn't their Daddy's Zune. Anyone who doesn't have easy access to WiFi but wants an iPod will find the new Nano a wonderful value. It's cheaper yet has many more features than the last generation Nano.

20. Tieranus macrumors newbie

The way I view it,

Sure you get faster processor, sure you get better graphics, but at what cost?

Battery life has decreased on the 3G significantly, and as ilounge reviews have proved, the 3G ipod touch drains battery faster than the 2G does. Sure you can say you got wireless N and FM radio in the future, but at what cost? More drained battery life?

Apple will most likely enable these features in a future release, but you can be certain that they will be coming out with a new model that will offer better battery life with all the features enabled + camera, and perhaps built in mic, and everyone will be happy.

All they really needed was battery life to be improved along with the processor and graphics to make it a selling point for 2g users, but with battery taking 6 hours back, and draining faster..... definitely not a worthwhile upgrade.

21. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

Well since Apple says 20 millions iPod Touch has been sold, I think they will still sell like hotcakes.
    64 GB flash storage anyone? :)

22. Tieranus macrumors newbie

They will sell to new people, not to existing 2g users. Hopefully sales will be down so they will release it sooner.

Apple PR will just say its selling like hotcakes regardless just to try to get people off the camera idea, but after looking at the innards, its basically a given that the touch will receive a camera in its next release, with FM Radio and Wireless N activated since Zune HD is doing great.

23. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Quite soon, my wife may be among the owners of the new touch.

Up until the other day, she was under the mistaken assumption that the touch incurred a monthly charge like the iPhone. I had to explain the differences to her slowly. Once she understood that we wouldn't have to pay AT&T (any more than we do already), she was all like, "Then what the h*** did you get the new nano for?!? I think I want a touch!" :D

Currently, she has a Sansa, which gets very little usage. I think once I load up a slew of music and movies, she'll love it. We may repurpose the Sansa for our daughter.

24. ottawaapplefan macrumors member

My guess is the camera is not a big factor for alot of people.I doubt alot of people are saying if there is no camera i am not buying it.I may be wrong but i just find it hard to beleave a camera is a must for alot of people in the touch.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would say it is keeping some 2G owners from upgrading but not new users from buying.