Anyone leave Sprint for AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcel360, Jul 30, 2008.

1. xcel360 macrumors regular

I shoul have my new iPhone by next week and I am planning on porting my number from Sprint to AT&T. My contract with Sprint is up and I know once I port my number I will need to call Sprint to close out my account.

My Question is: How difficult does Sprint make this process. I figured since my number is already ported there is little they can do to keep me. I am wondering what kind of phone call this is going to be... 10 minutes or 1 hour being transfered from one person to another.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There should be no reason to call Sprint. They will simply send you a final bill in the mail.

TEG

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I ported my number from sprint to att. No problems whatsoever. They will send u a final bill. They did call me tho the day after i switched to att and asked why i changed companies after 10 years with sprint.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

What did you tell them? That all of Sprint's phones suck ;)?

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Pretty much. I had the tilt(8925) and the Htc touch at the time. I told them that their phones suck. Windows mobile phones are sooooo slow and laggy. And i hate stylus's.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Truth is, AT&T is worthless...but they have iPhone.

7. xcel360 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feed back, I'm looking forward to that call from Sprint. I've been with them for almost 6 years, I have the Samsung Ace (Blackjack) and man do I hate having to go to that damn task manager every hour to speed up my phone. Can't wait for the iPhone, not that excited about AT&T service. Sprint did have some kick ass service. Just sucky phones.

8. drb6 macrumors regular

Yeah it was easy as pie. I called them only to make sure that I wouldn't be charged for the entire month as I was leaving mid cycle. Other than that, they asked why I was leaving and some other exit survey questions, ie were you unhappy with our service etc.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, and I never looked back. Got tired of being double-billed at $700+ a shot, and Sprint taking several weeks to make the situation right. The ugliest phones on Earth, the worse customer service (everything outsourced company), and poorest reception in the industry. After 10 years, took the family plan to Cingular/AT&T, had (4) new phones and ported my numbers in about 5 minutes per phone. :cool:

10. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Yes

Had Sprint for 10+ years. Switched on original iPhone Day (last year) to AT&T.

AT&T ported the telephone number and I don't even remember canceling Sprint so it must have been painless. After 10 years, I did not have a contract.

All the cell service companies are terrible! :mad:

11. gregk205 macrumors member

It's such a shame that we live in the USA and we have terrible cellphone service. If you go to Europe or Asia you will realize how bad our system is here. Over there you choose mainly on price and package and don't worry about reception. Here you have to worry about reception and base your options on that. I for one need my phone as a tool so I have to carry a Verizon phone too because At&t is so crappy in some places I go. I sure wish these companies would get their act together.

12. thejason macrumors newbie

I left Sprint last year for AT&T & the iPhone. The only problem that I had was the fact that I had my Sprint bill set to direct debit out of my checking account. The canceled my account but they still ended up charging me for an extra month after I had canceled my account. I called Sprint & they were able to return the money back to me but they were unable to direct deposit it back in so I had to wait for a check to arrive in the mail.

13. MM07 macrumors 6502a

You'll have no issues. I switched from Sprint after 6 years. It took 2 minutes to port my number over last year when I got the 1st gen iPhone.

14. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I had 3 phones under sprint before the iphone came out..now I'm down to 1, when next years iphone comes out, I'll port that last # and I'm finally free from Sprint!! I hate them:D

15. AZBigBear macrumors newbie

AZBigBear

Switched from Sprint

After 7+ years, we just made the move last week.

Remember, if you only port 1 number and have a family plan, it will not cancel the Sprint account. I ported my number, but my wife wanted a new one so we had to call Sprint and cancel the old fashion way.

Also wanted to note that Sprint customer services was very good when we canceled...and has gotten much better that past 6-8 months.

Waiting on 8GB BLK iPhone ordered 7/25.

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

They never called me when I switched!!
    I guess they didn't want me as a customer anymore anyway. They always screwed up my bill & had to call them almost every month.

17. wreckshop macrumors 6502

That's the only reason I left. Sprint has better data coverage and better plans. iphone would actually be better suited on Sprint's 3G network.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, same here, they never called me and I was with them for about 8 years, and had one of the extremely rare "approved for up to 10 phone lines" accounts.

I imagine that they probably new that if I got a call from Sprint asking why I left, I would've given them an earful :)

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Oh god! Don't call them! If you get cell phone company people involved they'll just screw it up! I switched to the original iphone using the WONDERFUL self activation mechanism in iTunes last year and the next morning everything was complete and I never had to deal with Sprint again!

20. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

So, I've been with Sprint for many years and last year I signed up with AT&T and got the original iPhone. Me being the lazy guy I am, I never canceled my Sprint account and didn't want to pay the ETF.

I sold my original iPhone a few months ago and went back to Sprint and got myself a Blackberry Pearl. I loved it at first, but the more I used it, the more I hated it and wanted to go back to an iPhone. I picked up the 3g last week , ported my number off of Sprint over to AT&T and I'll wait for the Sprint bill with the ETF and pay it when I feel like it.

I'm done with them.

:)

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I left Sprint for AT&T last summer when I got my first iPhone.

The process is all automatic if you port your number over to AT&T. If the number is the only number on the Sprint account, the account gets closed and the account with AT&T gets opened. It's basically done by a computer so there is no talking to a person at Sprint.

22. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

had sprint/nextel for 6 years and i honestly love att, and there phones.

For people who say att sucks, how can you say that att is one of the best carriers around just becasue they dont come to your house and wash your car doesnt mean they suck.

23. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

AT&T's coverage isn't the best, or ever 2nd or 3rd for that matter...everyone knows that. Their customer service is so so at best, every call I make to them takes about 40 minutes to an hour. I remember battling with them on some charges when I was up in Canada, and it took almost 2 hours to remove $15 dollars worth of charge. The charge was pretty ridiculous...I brought my phone up there for emergency, never picked up a call and about 5 calls came in and went to my voicemail. Apparently, when calls were forwarded to my voicemail with an US number, AT&T charged me as if I made those calls. Their response was I should have turned off my voicemail...

Anyhow, I haven't had good experience with AT&T so far.

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've been with AT&T since the Pacific Bell days and honestly I've never had problems with them, and this is about 10 years worth of service. I have a business plan so maybe business people are taken care of better...

25. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I switched from sprint for the iphone 3g. So far the switch has been painless. ATT 3g and regular service in my area is perfect. I am happy.