Anyone less enthusiastic about the 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iSheep5S, Sep 27, 2018.

1. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Yeah, someone has to ask. Someone who is sitting on the idea but doesn’t use his Series 1 for anything more than a fitnesses tracker.

They are out of stock near me so I’m mulling the idea. :apple:

Anyone sticking with their S3, S2, S1 or the dedicated ones with an S0? :cool:

You all seem excited about the new gadget but after the new and shiny? How’s things? ;)

2. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

I've had S2, S3 and now S4. I don't upgrade my phone too often but like to use the LTE on the smartwatch so that I don't need to carry my phone as often. For me, the apps on my phone are much easier to use with the larger watch face and the slimmer design is very comfortable. The display is much brighter and I'm able to have my favorite contacts on the watch face for quick calls from the watch. The battery life on the S4 is about on par or slightly lower than the S3.

Auto workout detection might be appealing to you, but if you just need a fitness tracker you can stick w/ what you have. When the watches become available use the 14 day return period or visit a store to see if its worth it to you.

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

If you find someone who isn't in some way enthused with the Series 4, that person just doesn't like smart watches.

4. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

So workout detection isn’t a watch OS5 feature?

Fair point Tromboneaholic but, I’m not enthusiastic about the newer iPhones but I still love smartphones. To me the taller screen would be the day to day thing I’d notice. Not worth it no question.

Yet here I am on the case of a new watch.

5. Broken Hope macrumors 6502a

It is a WatchOS 5 feature, not exclusive to the S4.

6. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Actually it seems to me that there is a fever pitch right now, about the Apple Watch 4 - this is Apple's hottest watch ever, don't you think?

This year, the Watch received wayyyyy more attention than even the iPhone XS/Max; this is a first in history that the iPhone was not the star of the iPhone event.

7. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I was pretty stoked about the Series 4 and picked on up the day after release (I needed the extra time to talk the wife into it). I've really enjoyed it so far. There are a few bugs I am eager for Apple to work out but overall its a pretty decent upgrade over my S2 and a huge upgrade over the S0.

8. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I will admit that due to the rumors for the new iPhones I wasn’t excited for them during the keynote. I was more excited to see the Series 4 Apple Watch. Once the ECG feature was announced I was already sold. I preordered and received mine on launch day and have been happy since. I have the iPhone X for launch so that was a no brainer to not upgrade my phone but watch instead. I’m coming from a S2, and the battery life on that was horrible. I had to charge twice a day and pretty much turned off notifications for almost everything.

9. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Nope. I had the original, the S2 and went from that to this. The speed gain is huge. Which means apps go from barely usable to great. Siri went from unusable to now nearly as reliable as the phone.

The larger screen is game changing.

I’m enjoying the XS Max, but it’s weight and larger size means my hands get a bit sore. And it’s not that big a jump from the X.

But I’m absolutely loving the watch, it’s a dramatic upgrade, and this is before apps and all apple complications are here to make use of it. I think this is a real turning point for the product.

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

This is an S-cycle for the iPhone, so there isn't as much to get excited about even if you love smartphones – especially for those of us who bought the iPhone X last year.

Now Series 4, on the other hand, seems to have grabbed everyone's interest with new features and the bigger screen with rounded corners.

11. padams35 macrumors regular

I'm sticking with my S2. A stylish GPS equipped waterproof fitness tracking watch with heartbeat monitoring is everything I want or need. Being able to sync with my iPhone to see text messages or answer phone calls is just gravy. I don't need LTE, an even bigger watch screen, ECG, etc.

12. an-other macrumors 6502

Was due to update my S0. Debated last year. Battery needs to be charged 1.5 times a day now and I can't upgrade to latest OS.

I'm glad I waited for the S4 over the S3. No genius there. Just go lucky in the Product cycle. It's gone the other way with other Apple products before.

I do have slight anxiety over the smaller battery/more efficient chip versus the bigger battery/less efficient chip.

I am amped to see how things have developed over the years.

13. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

As someone with AFIB the S4 was an important upgrade to me. Outside of that I would have stuck with my S3 longer. The larger screen is nice but not exactly upgrade worthy to me. Everyone has their own opinions though the bigger screen maybe more important to them. But don’t feel like you have to upgrade. The S3 is a great watch.

14. iSheep5S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

One voice of reason thus far. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    It’s the animations not going full screen on anything less than the S4 thats annoying.

Well played Apple.

15. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

This is me. I want the series 4 but just can’t justify it to myself. I currently have an s2, and all I really use it for is a standard watch. Date and time. Once in a while to see who’s calling, or check a text message. I actually have the text message notification turned off for the watch. My phone is louder and I’m more likely to get the text on the phone. Even with the haptic feedback on the watch, I usually don’t know when I get a message. I work in a loud environment with a lot of vibrations though. I just can’t find a reason to update the watch. The new one is awesome I’ll admit it, but my series 2 is holding up fine. No battery issues whatsoever.

16. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I’m enthused that it lowered the price of used S3s into a more reasonable range.

17. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

I have the s2 right now and am trying to convince myself to wait one more generation before upgrading. I definitely want the s4 and would probably have pulled the trigger if Apple hadn’t raised the price for the SS versions (or offered a cheaper SS without cellular). My wife is going to be getting an s4 for Christmas so that won’t help matters. I’ll see if I can hold out haha!

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Absolutely. I've been hoping that Apple could come up with a product they could alternate with the iPhone on the every-other-year schedule for major updates, to give us something great during the iPhone 'S' years. I thought that'd be the iPad, but, that market seems to have more or less saturated, and even when the iPad gets the inevitable iPhone X style makeover, I'm not entirely sure it'll convince people to upgrade. We'll see I guess. Regardless, I do think the AW S4 is a big deal, and for me was way more exciting and interesting than the phone updates.

I hear you, but to play devil's advocate, the larger screen is really striking. Have you seen it in person? I was pretty shocked - even after the keynote, all the reviews, pix, etc. - seeing it in person was an eye opener.

Need? Happy to agree that none of us truly need much of any of this stuff. Want? OH YEAH.

19. sporez macrumors member

sporez

I upgraded from the Series 0 (which interestingly enough had pretty good battery life for me, easily lasting through the day). The speed increase is absolutely massive, apps are actually usable and I enjoy using the watch. The larger screen is also awesome in my opinion. I will probably keep this for at least 2-3 years.

20. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I upgraded from an S0 (received my S4 yesterday). As others have said, the larger, brighter screen is very nice and the speed bump from an S0 is terrific :) I had no issues with battery life on my S0, easily making it through the day. I'm also excited for the better water resistance. The biggest reason for me to pull the trigger was the form factor change, guessing it's not as likely Apple will change form factor again for a couple years.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I went from an S0 to an S3. But I think I am going to skip the S4. From the S3, there isn't much there to justify the higher price tag. Slightly larger screen and ECG. Both nice features, but there is nothing wrong with my S3. I will probably upgrade to the S5, as my AC+ will be expiring on my S3. I feel more compelled to upgrade my phone yearly, not my watch. I use my phone for work and school, so I am on it 10+ hours a day.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've already taken advantage of that. :)

23. MJ22 macrumors regular

I have a series 3 LTE and frankly any features I want came with WatchOS 5. I don’t really care about the fall detection or EKG or whatever and many of the upgrade features are available on all watches with the new operating system. I also just like the look and shape of the older models better. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion.

24. padams35 macrumors regular

To each their own. Me? I'm a practical guy who still uses an iPhone SE. A bigger Apple Watch screen is so far down the list of 'wants' that I can't even think of any plausible benefit from that. In my case my WANT is a new 2018/2019 Retina iMac.

25. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I don’t find it a magical update from the 3, but I do like the larger size