Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Consider this news:
Ethan John Ruiz, whose niece died in the crash, was convicted of vehicular homicide in August. The sentencing took place Thursday in Ocala.

An Ocala man whose road racing outing ended in a fatal car crash will serve 12 years in prison for vehicular homicide.

Ethan John Ruiz, 21, was convicted of the charge in August. The sentencing took place Thursday in Ocala.

Ruiz’s niece and West Port High School junior Charisma Talie Francisco, 17, was killed in the April 14, 2016 crash. Along with his prison sentence, Ruiz received a lifetime revocation of his driver’s license and must pay restitution to the victim’s family, according to court records.

Francisco was in the front passenger seat of Ruiz’s 1997 two-door Honda when it slammed into a concrete pole in the median of Marion Oaks Boulevard. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ruiz was officially charged with vehicular homicide in November 2016.

Witnesses state that Ruiz and the unidentified driver of a small black car were racing on Marion Oaks Boulevard, heading south around 5 p.m. on April 14, 2016. The two cars passed several other drivers at a speed over the posted speed limit of 45 mph.

Later calculations completed by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper would show Ruiz’s car was traveling at a minimum speed of 91 mph at the time of the collision, according to the traffic citation.

The vehicles were changing lanes quickly and closely following each other, witnesses said.

On Marion Oaks Boulevard between 144th Place Road and Southwest 145th Place Road, Ruiz’s vehicle traveled onto the grass median. He over-corrected to the right and then again to the left, which sent the car back onto the median, where it hit the concrete pole, which snapped in half. The force from Ruiz’s vehicle hitting the concrete pole moved it about 10 feet, according to the citation.

Ruiz had abruptly applied the brakes and swerved left originally to avoid hitting another car, according to the citation. Tire marks on the road supported the chain of events, the citation noted.

Ruiz was flown from the scene of the crash to Ocala Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for serious injuries.

This is Ruiz’s first felony conviction, according to Marion County court records.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yep, you want to drag race in this area, here you go:

http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/a...leid=48770&zoneid=67&navsource=Track Schedule

Also, if you really want to show what a badass driver are, get on a real race track, there's ton of events in Florida, with NASA, Chin Motorsports, plenty of open invite days from PCA or BMWCCA. Look, NASA has an event this weekend at Sebring (awesome track, driven it several times):

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2758

I've owned/driven some fast cars, a few way faster than 98% of what comes from the factory, and I never drive like the description in the first post.

Reactions: Mousse

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yep, you want to drag race in this area, here you go:

http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/apcm/templates/schedule.asp?articleid=48770&zoneid=67&navsource=Track Schedule

Also, if you really want to show what a badass driver are, get on a real race track, there's ton of events in Florida, with NASA, Chin Motorsports, plenty of open invite days from PCA or BMWCCA. Look, NASA has an event this weekend at Sebring (awesome track, driven it several times):

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2758

I've owned/driven some fast cars, a few way faster than 98% of what comes from the factory, and I never drive like the description in the first post.
So... I assume you don’t street race. :)

Reactions: jeyf

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Consider this news:
Ethan John Ruiz, whose niece died in the crash, was convicted of vehicular homicide in August. The sentencing took place Thursday in Ocala.

An Ocala man whose road racing outing ended in a fatal car crash will serve 12 years in prison for vehicular homicide.

Ethan John Ruiz, 21, was convicted of the charge in August. The sentencing took place Thursday in Ocala.

Ruiz’s niece and West Port High School junior Charisma Talie Francisco, 17, was killed in the April 14, 2016 crash. Along with his prison sentence, Ruiz received a lifetime revocation of his driver’s license and must pay restitution to the victim’s family, according to court records.

Francisco was in the front passenger seat of Ruiz’s 1997 two-door Honda when it slammed into a concrete pole in the median of Marion Oaks Boulevard. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ruiz was officially charged with vehicular homicide in November 2016.

Witnesses state that Ruiz and the unidentified driver of a small black car were racing on Marion Oaks Boulevard, heading south around 5 p.m. on April 14, 2016. The two cars passed several other drivers at a speed over the posted speed limit of 45 mph.

Later calculations completed by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper would show Ruiz’s car was traveling at a minimum speed of 91 mph at the time of the collision, according to the traffic citation.

The vehicles were changing lanes quickly and closely following each other, witnesses said.

On Marion Oaks Boulevard between 144th Place Road and Southwest 145th Place Road, Ruiz’s vehicle traveled onto the grass median. He over-corrected to the right and then again to the left, which sent the car back onto the median, where it hit the concrete pole, which snapped in half. The force from Ruiz’s vehicle hitting the concrete pole moved it about 10 feet, according to the citation.

Ruiz had abruptly applied the brakes and swerved left originally to avoid hitting another car, according to the citation. Tire marks on the road supported the chain of events, the citation noted.

Ruiz was flown from the scene of the crash to Ocala Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for serious injuries.

This is Ruiz’s first felony conviction, according to Marion County court records.
Nooo, I prefer long low ride :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Rookies.

32889CCC00000578-3508640-image-a-7_1458860706707.jpg

Reactions: jeyf

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
autox
test and tune night at a local club track

bet your mother taught you how to drive?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I used to like to drag race, however, never did it on actual roads. There is an Air Force base in our area, that is mostly shutdown, except for the Eastern Air Defense Sector (EADS) which is part of NORAD and interestingly enough was in command of the fighter jets that were launched on 9/11 and for the days that followed which flew over NYC, Washington D.C., and around the coast etc, and is also on the 9/11 Tapes.

Anyway, back to the topic...sometimes they open up the runways to race on and when I had my 2001 Audi TT Quattro with a 1.8-liter DOHC four-cylinder 225HP engine (Turbocharged) I would go and just drag race other people. Always found it funny when someone in like a base model 1998 Ford Mustang would challenge me because they were slow as hell and I just blew them away, but the people who owned them thought they were fast and amazing cars, haha. Hell, I even beat (not by much) the 1998 Ford Mustang GT which had 225 HP just like my car except had a 4.6L SOHC V8. It was fun back then, but I outgrew it and I do not have a sports car anymore even if I wanted to start up again...I don't think my Hyundai Elantra would do so well, haha.

I would never advocate racing on open roads, especially places like the New York State Thruway...but people fly on the thruway normally, but if you get two people with sports cars that are next to each other (and they want to have a big d**k competition) on the thruway, I have seen them start to race and it is so dangerous...braking and changing lanes erratically going 100+ mph is just an accident waiting to happen! Even when I was 16 and just got my license I new better than to race on an open road!

Like someone else said, he should have gotten more than 12 years, however, 12 years in prison is not going to be fun at all, hell, a day in prison would be hell on earth, to me anyway.

Anyway, just want to add a link to the wikipedia page for EADS if anyone want to read about it, it is pretty interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Defense_Sector

Enjoy your day all.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.