Anyone made the switch from Jet Black to Red?

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I am considering exchanging the Jet Black for the Red iPhone 7+, it looks great, the only thing I am not too thrilled about is the white screen.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
For the sake of the question, I'll give it an answer.
I have the Jet Black and got the Product Red two days ago. (Why?), Well my obsession with the color Red has no boundaries lol
I'm also either selling my Jet Black or handing it over to my wife. So the hit is not that bad as she's been eyeing an iPhone 7 Plus since launch.

What do I think? Obviously, the color is still kind of rare and you don't see many people with one (I haven't seen any where I'm from), but that's an advantage if exclusivity is your thing.
The white front honestly gives the phone a clean look (for lack of a better description), I still prefer a Black front though if I had the option.

I wrapped my Product Red in a naked skin and I think it's given it a nice look and grip (link to my photos can be found in post 105 here): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-and-7-plus-product-red-pics.2038470/page-5

Any other questions, just ask.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I made the change too. I have a Jet Black 7 Plus and bought a Product Red 7 Plus. I found the red one for a good price so the upgrade costs me 100€, which is ok for a newer phone which hopefully will have a higher resale value when the 8 is out :). I really like the Jet Black so if i wouldn't have found such a good offer i wouldn't have changed.

The red looks phenomenal and the white front is ideal for summer. No smudges visible in bright sunlight.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I am considering exchanging the Jet Black for the Red iPhone 7+, it looks great, the only thing I am not too thrilled about is the white screen.
A co-worker and I, we went into Apple this past weekend, and she bought the Project Red 7+. It's very nice, even with the white face. Like you, I wished it came in black. I almost got influenced to get one. I realized how readily available the Red was. I'm still waiting for the iPhone 8. It's only 6 months away, but that Red sure looks tempting.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Although I have the Matte Black, I had considered it. I am on the IUP, so I need $200 to 'upgrade.' I am going to wait for the 7s+ or iPhone 8 and purchase then.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
A co-worker and I, we went into Apple this past weekend, and she bought the Project Red 7+. It's very nice, even with the white face. Like you, I wished it came in black. I almost got influenced to get one. I realized how readily available the Red was. I'm still waiting for the iPhone 8. It's only 6 months away, but that Red sure looks tempting.
Yep, the red looks super nice and the paint seems to be something that will last vs matte black and the jb scratch issues.
I keep my phone in my case all times, just by having the phone for a week it already has a small micro scratch line that is an inch long....not sure how it got scratched since its been in a TPU case since I bought it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
If you always have it in a case, why would it matter what color it is?

Mine's always in a case too. Have only seen its factory color perhaps 3 times in 4+ years.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money to simply get the same phone you already have, even if it's a different color. I'd just buy a different case if I cared about color.

As far as durability goes, expect the red phone to lose paint as easy as any of the other colors.

It's paint adhered to a non porous surface. It can be scraped off.

cbreze

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Don't understand what they were thinking making the screen white on the red phone. Spoils the whole appearance IMO. Black with the red would have been so much better

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Don't understand what they were thinking making the screen white on the red phone. Spoils the whole appearance IMO. Black with the red would have been so much better
I guess the silver iPhone wasn't as popular this time around.

Reactions: MajicSho

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
How are you guys trading to red? I have a jet black and want the red but how is this even possible?

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I just made the switch. JB 7plus to Red 7plus.

Ive always preferred the black front, but I'm a half a day into it and I don't even notice it being white. I may consider a black screen protector deal though.

I love the look of the red/white. It just pops. I running it naked too. I find the red much more grippy...I couldn't do that with my previous JB. (see my thread below about going nude).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.