Anyone made their own table/desk?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TJ82, Jan 20, 2016.

1. TJ82, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

TJ82 macrumors 6502

I've been shopping for a particular type of desk and have given up. Just can't see one I want. Thinking now I'll have to make one and learn how. Seen some DIY efforts online but nothing too close to what I wanted.

Basically my reqs.

Around 42 to 43 inch in height (Yep it's a standing desk)
    Large enough for iMac (27inch one) and space for other things.
    Really sturdy (don't want the thing to tip if I lean on it)
    Beautiful piece of natural wood for the top.

No idea about the legs or how to make something to heavy supported. Wouldn't want to get a big piece of heavy wood from somewhere and put on some cheap looking legs.

Anyone had a go at something like this and got some tips on what to avoid doing or anything at all?

2. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

I've had to build stuff at work and always used 2x4's as legs on desks we made. Do them front in back on each corner and than where they meet each other for the corner I would put one leg in that. Back corner up against the wall, and than depending how you want the front done gonna need another leg or two somewhere in that same region.

No sitting whatsoever?

3. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, no sitting! Well could always get a stool I guess later if felt the need. I'm guessing wood legs were pretty hard to attach the desks compared to metal?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    I'm thinking to use this as a style guide..[​IMG]

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I haven't, but I will follow this thread with interest, as I love wooden desks and tables.

5. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

We ran 2x4a on the bottom of the desk so that there was a piece sticking down to fasten the legs to.

I'm only asking about a chair in the future because you will want to make it so that you can sit in certain areas of the desk without hitting your legs on them

That above would actually look pretty good, and you could do the desk based off two different desks? Do one that goes all the way to the back corner of the wall and make it a little longer and 2 of those legs like in the picture.
    Than make one that meets the first desk in the corner and do it a little shorter and have two more of those legs like above.

Trying to think of how to state it so it makes more sense. So just let me know if you are not following what I said haha

6. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

No that's great, just need to think about it a bit to get my head round it :eek: Will get the pencil out when I'm back home soon.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

36" for a standing desk? How tall are you?

A typical sitting desk is 29-30". 36" seems REALLY short for a standing desk.

8. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I took the height from the kitchen work counter. Felt nice and comfortable at that height. I'm 5"11, girlfriend is 5"6

Edit: has a look online and it looking like 43inches is rec'd for my height to avoid strain. Good catch, I'll have to go higher it. Cheers.

9. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Lol okay. Let me know what you come up with

10. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gave up on the original idea, too difficult. Going for a copy of the image I posted as a style guide, except taller. Looking like pine at the moment..

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Rather than attempt this yourself, have you any friends who are either skilled at carpentry, or who are actual carpenters who might be open to being asked to consider doing this? In my experience, people who are skilled at carpentry tend to relish the creative challenge as a craftsman of crafting an entirely new and original piece.

12. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I've designed a table to be made as a gift to my girlfriend this Christmas. It's made of white laquered wood but oak for example would look just as good. It was 400€ incl. tax so pretty cheap if you ask me. Basic design with a small hole on top for cables etc. It's 120x55cm or something along that.

Basically it's me using that table now mostly but still a good gift. :D

IMG_0397.JPG IMG_0396.JPG

13. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish. Banks and accountants the lot of them!

[

That's really, really good looking. I'd be super pleased with that!

I've been through so many ideas and attempts at ordering parts and getting stuck and starting again.

In the end I've had to settle for a very simple design with custom made 40 inch steel legs (you can get these in the US, but not in the UK, had to find a guy who'd do them for me). I'll upload pics of the table next week, just waiting on the top coming in then I'll have a go at drilling it and sticking the legs on.

The legs are just hairpin legs. I'll sell them at some point when I can find someone to do 40inch A-Frame legs at a reasonable price. Found someone in Turkey but the postage is off-putting..

I'm searching for a stool now too with a 30 inch seat height. Wood one. That's tough too! Something like this.. 74664.jpeg

They're usually made with a 27 inch seat height as standard though. More headache. I know it' a standing table, but I want a stool too for occasional breaks and the other half when she's wants to use it.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You might want to consider widening your circle of friends!

Do you know of any carpenters who might be interested in doing an odd job - anyone perhaps recommended by word of mouth (which was how I manned to get in touch with some good work men).

15. Huntn, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My question is, are you (OP) trying to make a beautiful piece of furniture or utility furniture, something that is merely functional and don't care how it looks? If the former, especially if not to be filled and painted, furniture grade plywood has to play a role and the less visible framing 2x4s the better and nix on particle board unless it is to be covered by a laminate.

As a rule, particle board desks, like many of the low cost office computer desks are disposable junk desks. They can look nice, can serve you well, but are not made to survive any moves, unless they are to be completely disassembled beforehand. :)

16. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some delays in receiving the table top, and some mistakes on my part with screws meant it took longer than expected. But finished last week. Took some quick snaps as I went along.

After the table top arrived I got to drilling it. Went fine, except the bit got stuck in the wood on the holes for the third leg. Tried everything but it was seriously jammed. Admirable actually how it resisted my efforts to dislodge it. Snapped it off in the end. Next issue was the screws - they were too long. That was looking to set me back a day until I got some new ones. Later though I went for a poke around the drawers and found some smaller silver screws. Must have been from IKEA furniture that I never used. Excited, I carried on.

Completely useless. The heads couldn't handle the pressure and snapped off. So a day's delay it was then until I got some good quality wood screws.

Attached Files:

17. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502

And the finished article.

Wanted to posh it up with a lamp and a stool (which I've now got), but felt too burned out at the time so you'll have to settle for this rather hasty effort. Maybe get some pics later when I'm motivated and feel like a bit of photography. Really does look nice in person.

Next project is in bloom. Same effort, but twice as long. I want more surface area. Take it to 240cm long. Will use these legs, and get matching shorter legs and turn this table top into a coffee table. Doing the preliminary pokes to the guy who made this table top at the moment.

As for actually using the standing desk. Well the first day or so is a bit tiring (especially when you cycle quite a bit like I do) but it's amazing how fast you adapt. Feel like I've got more energy standing up. Wonder if there's some science there. Who knows!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2016 ---
    Really wanted something that looked decent. I have some really nice ideas now in my head, all relegated because they were hard to pull off. But I really want to have a crack at something more complex and beautiful when I move home.

Attached Files:

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Looks lovely. Long may you enjoy using it - and I'd imagine that you'll derive considerable satisfaction from doing so.