Anyone managed to get something free when making a big purchase at Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Oct 26, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Im just curious :) Im going to be purchasing the quad core IMAC 27inch.

And was wondering if it was would be worth trying to be a cheapskate!! :)

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

They gave me a Apple branded draw string bag that works as a backpack, which I use daily to carry my lunch.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That's not really that large of a purchase. Are they in stock yet in your area? You can always try by phone to see if they will give you anything.

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

A friend of mine bought a fully loaded Mac Pro 2009 and got MS Office 2008 free, AppleCare for half-price and Parallels 4 for 10% off.

This was at a premium reseller, rather than an official Apple Store though.

5. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I got that too.. I'm pretty sure they just use that as a normal bag :p

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can try, however Apple is a stickler more then most. Also you are only buying one product.

Now if you were getting an iMac, a Time Capsule, a printer, and a few other things you might be able to get a free USB cable.

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

nope its special only special people get the special bags.... and everyone else gets the less special bags that happen to look the same.... but they aren't..... THEY AREN'T I TELL YOU.... :D

8. a350 macrumors regular

Bought a mac pro and a 13" macbook pro last week, tried to get a free shuffle, no go.

The dude did agree that if I didn't like the mac pro I could come back and kick him in his knee.

got the standard reduction in price for things like iwork, but I also got the educator discount so that may be why he couldn't give me a shuffle.

btw, did not have to show proof to get educator discount, saved almost $400 bucks.

9. Andy348 macrumors 6502

That makes us both special...

AWESOME!

10. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I got £200 off my Mac Pro as I'd previously purchased a half price video product off the reseller. I've had free AppleCare on a previous purchase as well.

11. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

:D

12. boriscolombia macrumors member

Hey my dad is a professor at a local college, but when I go to look at the education store online it asked me for the college information, so I selected the name of the school by zip code, would that be the same as the educator discount? because I am only able to get $100 off like that, or is this something I can only get at the store?

13. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

you are taking into account that he said 'almost $400' off the combined price of the macbook pro and the mac pro, not just one item?

14. a350 macrumors regular

it really depends on what you buy, i think the discount is around 10% on most items.

15. a350 macrumors regular

looking at receipt...

$200 off mac pro
    $100 off macbook pro 13"
    $30 off iWork, but that was because purchasing macbook not educator discount.

no savings on Mini-DP to DVI adapter, them bastards!

so closer to $300 than $400, but I'll take whatever I can get.

16. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The Apple Store makes sales like that everyday, you aren't getting anything free.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You get two apple stickers. A purchase that large won't get you a free bag.

Your purchase is a drop in the bucket of even hourly sales.

18. boriscolombia macrumors member

Oh ok I dint see that you bought more than one thing. what I just found out is that is the same but you do get a discount off $100 on MBP 13" plus if I get a refurbished one it would be $999.00 plus Apple care is $183.00 + tax, compared to the $250 that they normally choose. and by going into the apple store and selecting the education store I could actually buy it latter if don't have enough for AC at the time of purchase, so I cant wait untill they release the new versions.

19. chill. macrumors 6502

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but sometimes apple has some decent promotions. when i bought an education discounted macbook last year they had a deal for 100$ worth of credit towards a printer with the purchase of a mac, so i got the 99$ printer for free.

20. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I got my last mini free of tax, but I had to go to New Hampshire to get it. :D I got a free printer, too, but that was the promotion at the time.

I didn't have to show proof for the educational discount, either, and even had them look up both my employer (BT) and employment location (MIT) and tell me which discount would be better.

21. palsword macrumors newbie

palsword

I think they have this printer offer for anyone buying a macbook or higher, not only the education discount

22. twombles62 macrumors member

Just because it's a big purchase for you doesn't mean it's a big purchase for apple....

23. dawiyo macrumors member

Want to feel like you're getting something for free? Buy a refurb 27" in a couple of months and think of it as a discount.

24. exchen83 macrumors newbie

I got some free stuff before when I spent almost $3000 on a 15" powerbook G4 years ago. Sales person in the local store failed to tell me about $100 off any printer deal like what they have today, so when I went back for the store, they told me that pritner and the computer have to be on the same receipt. So I told them I will return the laptop then buy it again w/ the printer together, then they said they will have to charge me 15% (or something like that) for opened box return. So I found some VPs' emails, and complained. Long story short, I got a $200 printer for free without filling out the rebate, and I got a copy of iwork for free too :D

25. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Same sort of deal with me in Australia, also at a premium reseller. The store's name is Next Byte and they're a nation-wide chain, I've seen many people complain about them but I've had nothing but good experience. The guy that sold us our first iMac was very polite when faced with stupid questions from my father ("can I install Google on a Mac?") and actually remembers us still, well over a year later.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic...

From that place I got $100 off the cost of my MacBook Pro, a free sleeve, iWork 09 for $30 less then retail and half-price AppleCare. Ended up spending around AU$3,700 on stuff worth well over $4,000.