Anyone managed to scratch a Space Black AW?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ajm222, Dec 16, 2016.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Just placed an order for a SS but wondering if I should have gotten SB. I'm very OCD so on the one hand I can polish the SS if needed (though I did buy a skin for it) but on the other hand it seems it's tough to damage the SB at all. But if the SB does get scratched, you can't do anything about it. Just curious if anyone has managed to get even a tiny scuff or nick in their SB watch. I can't seem to find anything - just comments about minor damage to SB bracelets (which would actually suggest the watch itself could be scratched as easily considering the coating is supposed to be the same).

Thanks

2. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The space black is super resilient to scratches but even if you get some deep gashes they aren't that noticeable. Here is a closeup of a space black that I had which had gotten some deep gashes. You don't really notice them unless you look real close. It doesn't show bright silver underneath like the old iPhone 5. It's still black underneath. To show bright silver seems nigh impossible.

Attached Files:

3. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is perfect, thank you! That's impressive. The coating looks to be surprisingly deep. It's interesting that this almost looks under bright light to be similar to a SS watch with micro scratches. All along the side there appear to be marks, but very small and insignificant. I was curious to know if the SB would show nothing at all, or very small marks typical of traditional SS. Looks like it's something in between. Again, this is very helpful, thank you. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the SS I bought. I was thinking of going with the SB if it was almost completely impervious to any marks at all. But if there are tiny "swirlies" reminiscent of those seen in traditional SS, I may just stick with the SS and accept a certain amount of "patina" over time. I used to be a watch fanatic and I like the fact that the SS case reminds me of most of my traditional mechanical watches. Hopefully I can get them to allow me to swap out the white band for a black one.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Great pic. That's better than I thought the space black could do.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

OP, I own the Black Stainless and it has held up perfectly. No scratches at all. The Diamond Like Coating is a huge advantage for the Black Stainless. One of my favorite Watches to date.

6. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I need to get to the Apple Store and see these both in person (the SBSS and SS). I had this strange idea that the finish on the former was more matte. I wonder if I did change my mind if I could call and have Apple change the order. Thanks again.

7. hawon macrumors member

SB Apple Watch is easily scratched.
    [​IMG]

All happened by my dress shirts buttons.

8. Dodgeman macrumors 6502a

I made the right choice.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2016 ---
    That actually looks like a Sport finish...

9. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Is that the stainless steel in black? Would seem impossible for a plastic button to scratch it, or even a metal button.

10. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

The comment above is correct. The picture shown is space gray sport watch. Viewer can tell the color is matte not shiny stainless steel.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Unless it's the reflection from your camera flash, this appears to be the Space Gray Watch. Your dress shirt buttons wouldn't leave white scratch marks on the black stainless like that. And I also own the black stainless.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

One tiny scratch on mine at the top. Impossible to photograph - I just spend the last 10 mins trying!

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm impressed with both my black SS AW's. I purchased an aftermarket watch band with their own adapters and one of the adapters requires major force to push it in and out. When looking inside the channel the adapter goes in I don't see a single scratch. You should expect swirls though, very light/faint I suppose you can call them scratches, but you really have to work hard to see them. From what I read the SB bands are different and more prone to damage.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I own two space black stainless steel bands. One of them has a scratch on the clasp and the other band is in mint condition. I'm not sure how I scratched it, but it has held up really well. I have been very impressed with the quality of the bands and there resistance to scratches. I was hesitant being they are black in color. Which tends to show swirls and scratches.

15. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's definitely impressive. I wonder if you can buff out the swirls every once in a while like you can with the regular stainless. If it can get swirls in the first place, you'd think maybe you could buff them out (not that it would really be necessary). But I haven't really seen anyone try. I used to do this all the time with my regular stainless steel watches but not sure how it works with DLC.

16. bthompson macrumors regular

Mine has a dent, I'm not sure from where but the coating hasn't been compromised. They are very tough which is why I paid more for it the aluminum body and screen just scratches too easily. I was happy that now the aluminum watches have the ceramic back on series 2.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    A number of posts were removed. If you don't want to answer or help the OP, then please move on.

18. mguzzi macrumors regular

I have both a 42mm SS and a 38mm SB. The Space Black is my favorite but it was initially out of my price range. Luckily i was able to pick one up on sale a few months ago. I have many small scratches and one deep gash on my SS after a year but after three months with the SB not a single scratch and the deep black color looks awesome.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I'm not sure I would apply any buffing polish to the DLC coating on the black stainless, it could damage it. I have however, used it on my regular stainless and it worked perfectly. But I have not scratched my black stainless as of yet either.

20. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

unfortunately i am so equally torn between wanting the superb scratch resistance of the SB but preferring the aesthetic appearance of the regular stainless. which is why I bought the regular stainless but got an armorsuit full body skin for it. hopefully that works well. i'm so OCD that i probably would have put a skin on the SB too, so ultimately it probably doesn't really make much of a difference. i suppose there is a return window to consider if I change my mind.

21. mguzzi macrumors regular

I also want to add that i don't have a single scratch on the Sapphire screen on either watch.

22. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you see any tiny swirlies in the right light that stainless usually picks up? perhaps they are there but just much more hidden because of the way the light bounces off the SB. or maybe not even those.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don't see any swirl marks on my black stainless. On my regular stainless, I can buff them to perfection.

24. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool, thanks. decisions, decisions.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

What do you like most?