Anyone miss Circuit City?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by troop231, Jun 27, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

The area I live in isn't large enough to support a Best Buy unfortunately, but Circuit City always had everything I wanted pretty much, and it was a sad day when they closed all of the stores. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not really but then again, Ultimate Electronics has kinda filled that void

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I got this thing called the internet.

The inventory is incredible.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I've got BestBuys all over my area so I can see what you mean. If all the BestBuys went away I'd miss them too.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

no. and even if best buy weren't around, i wouldn't miss them either. i think amazon fills my electronic needs nicely.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lets see
    Over priced - check
    Poor quality sales staff - check
    Inferior product inventory - check

Missing them - absolutely not!

8. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, because looking/holding electronics online before you buy is just the way to go :rolleyes: Especially if you need it the same day.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds more like an impulse problem.

11. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'm sorry you had a bad experience when you visited there stores.

I worked there for 6 years and loved every minute! We had great staff and we all were well paid. Pioneer, Sony XBR, etc... All top end models at our location.

Circuit City got bad only towards the last 2 years of it's life. They let go everyone making over $19/hour, so all the knowledgable sales staff was gone. They started hiring 16-18 year olds to sell $10-20k worth of products... Bad mistake.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Not at all. Their prices were always higher than Best Buy's and they never had what I needed/wanted in stock. Best Buy and the Apple Store fill my tech needs 99% of the time; Amazon takes care of the other 1% of the time.

Don

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

A few Circuit Cities around where I live had Verizon outlets inside. Don't know if that was all over, but it was rather nice. This was of course before Verizon had a lot of stores in my area, so now it doesn't really matter.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The only thing I depended on Circuit City for is pretty much obsolete now.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

17. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I don't really miss Circuit City. What I do miss is the Verizon outlet inside of the store because it was always so much less crowded than the Verizon store and the employees there would give us discounted prices for phones which was always nice. But I'm switching to at&t now for the iPhone 4 so it's irrelevant.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've never been to Ultimate yet since the new change. Di they sell everything that CC and BB would sell such as hard drives, memory and all the rest?

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Best Buy up here in NH is horrid, standing there with cash in your fist, mind made up - and you have to wait 30 minutes for an "associate" to get you the TV from the back.

Circuit City is (was) a slightly smaller version of the same thing.

Now CompUSA - that place I miss. There was usually at least one human in that store that had "some clue" about what they sold. Also - their Bawls, (Sprite on steroids). I miss those, too.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

+1. I have to make do with a Best Buy about 20 miles from where I live. I swear, this valley cries for a Fry's Electronics. A couple of weeks back, I visited some friends; we made a trip to the Burbank Fry's. I felt like I was coming back to Shangri-La.

22. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Amen brother.

Nope. Sounds more like an inpulse problem ordering on line as you become click happy. With going to the store and speaking to a human you can get the feel of the product before you buy. I like to see what the product is going to look like and fell like with out having to look at crappy ass stock photos or listen to some 25 year old colloege drop out talk about it on a review site (cough cousmer reports / cough )

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You can still buy Bawls at most 7/11s.

But I can completely agree with you on the quality of Best Buys in NH. My family's had quite a few horror stories with their customer service. We had a TV that just wouldn't turn on 7 days before the warranty expired, brought it in, they shipped it out to the manufacturer to fix it and it took 5 weeks to come back in (which was annoying enough). Before we even put our hands on it we had the employees plug it in and make sure it worked fine and the thing had the same problem and wouldn't turn on. We told them to ship it back and actually fix it and they started giving us a bunch of BS about it being out of warranty, even though it was sent in to be fixed before the warranty expired and it was tested by the employees in store, so we never even had it back in our hands. From our view the warranty was still valid since it was in before the warranty expired and it was in their hands the entire time, our hands never touched it once the warranty expired. After another couple of weeks of dealing with them we finally got a gift card for the value of the TV, but we still went 7 weeks or so with no TV.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Have to say meh to CompUSA as well. They were way overpriced and didn't offer as much swag as Fry's does. And this is from someone living in Las Vegas, which only had CompUSA or Best Buy. I'd take the 4 hour drive to the SoCal basin to visit the closest Fry's than spend money at CompUSA. I was estatic when Fry's opened up shop there, making CompUSA very obsolete. They just couldn't compete.

The thing I also like about Fry's is that each store is themed differently. the one in Vegas is themed from old Vegas. One of the 2 Fry's in Sacramento is themed from Gold Rush days, while the other is all of the old railroads (Union Pacific, Southern Pacific), etc.

The only thing that could probably outdo them would be a Newegg or TigerDirect. But as far as brick'n'mortar stores go, Fry's is it.

BL.