Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Just wondering if anyone is using, moving to, or getting separate computer for Adobe CS4 64-bit to run in Windows Vista. It seems like it can potentially reap many benefits.

What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?

In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/?promoid=DRHXB

Will this change much of the "design niche" commonly occupied by Macs going forward and now include more PCs?

Just wanted to get an idea of what people are planning and some thoughts. :)

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Read the rest of the page you provided:

Why is Photoshop CS4 64-bit native on Windows only? What about Mac OS?
The Mac OS 64-bit version is planned for a future release as a result of a change to Apple's platform strategy, which now requires a migration from Apple's Carbon technology to its Cocoa technology in order for an application to run 64-bit native. Before 64-bit support can be added on Mac OS, significant parts of Photoshop and its plug-ins must first be ported from Carbon to Cocoa. The Photoshop team began working on porting Photoshop to Cocoa as soon as Apple announced 64-bit support in Carbon was no longer part of its plans.

Why didn't Adobe move to Cocoa previously?
Until June 2007, Apple planned to enable Carbon-based applications to run 64-bit native. Moving to Cocoa is a significant task, so the engineering focus has been on user-visible features rather than switching to Cocoa. Now that Apple has shifted its strategy to make Cocoa a requirement for 64-bit support, Adobe has adjusted plans accordingly.

How is Lightroom able to support 64-bit computing for Mac OS while Photoshop is not?
Lightroom software was initially written using Cocoa technology, so no porting from Carbon is necessary.

Does the lack of 64-bit support mean Mac users won't see any performance gains in Photoshop CS4?
Adobe is always working to enhance product performance, and 64-bit support is only one way to get there. Investments in a variety of foundational improvements —for example, greater use of graphics processors — will improve Photoshop performance for all users. A number of workflow improvements will also help boost your day-to-day productivity.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I can only speak for myself here, but change to an OS I don't like, ditch a workflow I am used to and prefer, just for a few seconds saved here and there? Working in windows would cost me more time than what is to be gained here. Apart from that about 1,5 years later with CS5 there will also be 64 bit support for Mac OS.

Maybe some individuals will switch, but I can't see any mayor agencies or design houses doing so. They often still work on G5s, 10.4 and tend to skip one or 2 versions of the Creative Suite anyway.

I don't know yet if I will get CS4, some features are very interesting but there is really no "must-have" for me so I guess it would be wiser to save a little and wait for CS5... I just bought CS3 about a year ago.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Bearing in mind I use (64bit) 3D software which is windows (vista x64) only and have adobe installed on it too to save switching os etc I'm still not likely to upgrade at this moment in time, why because there isn't really enough for me to upgrade.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
So Will there have to be a new release of CS4 in Cocoa to run 64 bit on mac or could they release it by software update when they have finished porting it? Or will we have to wait till CS5? - Hope not.

I've just pre ordered CS4 Master Suite for mac now, My first CS copy... so excited!!! Im at college so I got the suite for £400 with an ED discount Whoop!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
No. I have CS3, and it does everything I need it to - granted I only lay out websites or do my own personal creative stuff, but I wouldn't sell out on my Mac just to try out a few new features I'll never use in real-world application anyway.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Why? 64bit support would be nice, but most people aren't even working with images large enough to take advantage of it being 64 bit!

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
well I work with 200Mb + images but even so my Mac Pro is plenty fast enough with 32Bit CS3. I may look at CS5 when it comes (as that will probably have many more 'cool' things in it), but for now I can't justify the expense of getting CS4 (either for Mac or Vista).

Besides my 32bit will still kick arse out of most Vista machines out there (until 8core becomes more mainstream for PC users)

:)

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Well, I think Mac Pro can have up to 32 GB. Not sure how much that will cost but I know PC's are cheaper.

I also found this on Vista...

...all 64-bit versions of Microsoft operating systems currently impose a 16 TB limit on address space and allow no more than 128 GB of physical memory due to the impracticality of having 16 TB of RAM. Processes created on Windows Vista x64 Edition are allotted 8 TB in virtual memory for user processes and 8 TB for kernel processes to create a virtual memory of 16 TB.
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

Understanding how SuperFetch uses RAM to enhance system performance…
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=735

Windows Vista - SuperFetch & ReadyBoost
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/29/windows-vista-superfetch-readyboost.aspx

It seems Vista has a "modified double-edge sword" for RAM usage...except both edges are on the same side so to speak. :eek:

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Compared with xp vista is quite efficient in its ram usage even after taking into consideration the extra it uses for quite program start etc, might even give os-x a run in some respects. There is a clear useability benefit with vista as well in my experience, even more so if you spend a little while configuring it to a better layout for your personal work requirements - I've shunted the menu bar to the top as my 3d programs have a lot of low buttons for example. Whether its better than os-x depends more on the person and how often they use os-x versus xp/vista.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
One benefit of Photoshop CS4 on a Mac running OSX is support for native 16bit printing. This is not available in the Windows version.

It makes no sense to buy yet another version of Photoshop and Vista 64bit, just for the promised increase in processing speed for very large files.

Vista Ultimate 64 bit is $300. Photoshop CS4 is $699.

$1000. for a speed increase that has not yet been tested?

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
One benefit of Photoshop CS4 on a Mac running OSX is support for native 16bit printing. This is not available in the Windows version.

It makes no sense to buy yet another version of Photoshop and Vista 64bit, just for the promised increase in processing speed for very large files.

Vista Ultimate 64 bit is $300. Photoshop CS4 is $699.

$1000. for a speed increase that has not yet been tested?

I think if you have site/seat licenses, it works out to be cheaper. For a large company, it can be "free".

HomeBru Studios

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
What you think you will gain in processing speed from switching to a PC, you will rapidly lose when you have to deal with the pretend operating system they call VISTA... try it and you will find out for yourself!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LOL, No.

Just wondering if anyone is using, moving to, or getting separate computer for Adobe CS4 64-bit to run in Windows Vista. It seems like it can potentially reap many benefits.

What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?

In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/?promoid=DRHXB

Will this change much of the "design niche" commonly occupied by Macs going forward and now include more PCs?

Just wanted to get an idea of what people are planning and some thoughts. :)

That would only work when comparing with Visa 32bit or XP 32bit.

OSX > Vista 64bit > XP 32 bit > Vista 32 bit or XP 64bit

What you think you will gain in processing speed from switching to a PC, you will rapidly lose when you have to deal with the pretend operating system they call VISTA... try it and you will find out for yourself!

Exactly!

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
LOL, No.

Exactly!

I think you are subscribing to too much media hype about Apple products and negative publicity of Vista that caused Microsoft bashing, etc. In reality however those notions you have are far from truth. :cool:

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
i don't see any point in doing this. i would go with the os you like the most. i just prefer designing on a mac.

with that said, i have cs3 on both my mac and pc(vista) and it runs great on both computers. they are both core 2 duos about the same speed. for those of you who haven't designed on a decent vista system you're just letting off hot air.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I think you are subscribing to too much media hype about Apple products and negative publicity of Vista that caused Microsoft bashing, etc. In reality however those notions you have are far from truth. :cool:

Yawn, nope not switching. But I think you should.

Exman

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
LOL, No.

Exactly!

I am not bias toward any OS. I appreciate the strengths of each one.
From a purely objective angle, I think you're dead wrong on that one. I'll show you why. These tests were done on my Hackitosh with Photoshop CS3 32bit on both platform. Times are measured in seconds:

Real World Photoshop speed test
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/200558/
OSX 10.5.5 = 18.5s
Vista 64 = 16.5s

Apple Hardware Photoshop Speed Test Thread
OS X = 9.3s
Vista 64 = 7.9s

DriverHeaven Photoshop benchmark (the toughest of these three tests).
OS X = 93.1s
Vista 64 = 70.3s

Video encoding test with Handbrake. Ripping a DVD to MP4 H.264 2-pass encode.

1st pass (average frames per second, higher = better):
OS X = 186fps
Vista 64 = 281fps (51.2% faster)

2nd pass (average frames per second, higher = better):
OS X = 138fps
Vista 64 = 199fps (44.2% faster)

Don't believe everything Apple (and the anti-Microsoft clans) tell you. ;)

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am not bias toward any OS. I appreciate the strengths of each one.
From a purely objective angle, I think you're dead wrong on that one. I'll show you why. These tests were done on my Hackitosh with Photoshop CS3 32bit on both platform. Times are measured in seconds:

Real World Photoshop speed test
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/200558/
OSX 10.5.5 = 18.5s
Vista 64 = 16.5s

Apple Hardware Photoshop Speed Test Thread
OS X = 9.3s
Vista 64 = 7.9s

DriverHeaven Photoshop benchmark (the toughest of these three tests).
OS X = 93.1s
Vista 64 = 70.3s

Video encoding test with Handbrake. Ripping a DVD to MP4 H.264 2-pass encode.

1st pass (average frames per second, higher = better):
OS X = 186fps
Vista 64 = 281fps (51.2% faster)

2nd pass (average frames per second, higher = better):
OS X = 138fps
Vista 64 = 199fps (44.2% faster)

Don't believe everything Apple (and the anti-Microsoft clans) tell you. ;)

This is good info. Thanks! Are you going to try this with 64-bit apps? :)

krewelement394

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
eewww no way! i wont get a vista!! i'll rather keep my perfect windows XP!!

hmm but why would i want a seperate comp. when my macbook can support beyond 4gb??? i have cs3....and i was wondering if adobe will send me cs4 since i bought cs3 when cs4 was just comming out! :D i got it eqquipted with my macbook hmm does that count...?:eek:

anywho..... back to this topic...i wont get a new comp. just to run cs4...:/ :apple:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Erm, my answer would be no unless you really really need it, CS5 promised to be 64bit on the Mac, so I don't know, to me 1 year doesn't really make a difference considering most people are still doing their work 32bit.

I tested this Photoshop like app made on Cocoa for Mac and eventhough the application functions is not that easy to use (maybe that's because Im not used with a different UI), but that program really shows how Photoshop can actually feel and use if its build on Cocoa :D

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Absolutely not! The minimal gains would be outweighed by the time it would take to learn a new OS. As it is I'm skipping CS4 anyway… hopefully CS5 will be 64 bit for OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.