Anyone not like working at their desk, is that why you have a notebook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jul 5, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Put me at a desk and my motivation, creativity and ambition to work disappears. I have no desire to sail through my work emails and project updates or even surf the web on my 24" ACD .... weird, eh?

On the other hand using my 13 or 15" MBP in my Den, on the patio, couch, cafe wherever and I've got all the drive in the world to work.

Some Authors are like that too apparently, having to write in certain places/different environments ... wonder if I attribute sitting at the desk with too much pressure and stress and when I'm away from my desk I feel less pressure/stress which breeds more creativity, desire to work....

It bugs me though, I have such a nice desk and set up, just desire to sit there and use it.

2. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I kinda have the same problem...if i'm at my desk with a nice monitor, ill start playing games on it. The only time i study is when i'm at school. If a test is coming up, I head to campus. A little music, no mouse to start gaming, and a study away!

3. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

i'm one of these people! i use my computer outside in the park, by the pool, sitting the curb at campus wherever. right now my laptop finds its home on the arm of my couch, haha.

4. cryer macrumors regular

I'm getting 17" because I simply don't have room for a desktop or even external monitor. Otherwise, I actually would most likely get an iMac for the value plus I actually think working at a desk would make me do more work than reclining with laptop. But oh well, hopefully I'll have more room in a new place when I move.

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I've never thought of that. But my productivity does increase when working outside and often decreases to virtually zero when sitting on my desk. It's not that that's why I bought laptops. But I think being able to work outside helped me a lot.

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'm always on the bed or on the deck soaking up the sun with my MBP 13

7. brucem91 macrumors 6502

it's weird, I am the opposite. To do most work on my MBP, I need to use my Magic Mouse and  BT Keyboard, so I need a desk. Though sometimes I do enjoy laying down on the couch to work, where I do end up having to use the trackpad.

Not sure if this would be the right thread or not, but does anyone know how to enable/disable Magic Mouse scrolling from the menu bar, as I find myself disabling it for a few apps that I use, but I hate always going into sys prefs.

8. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Since we moved from our house and now live in an apartment with our two kids i don´t even have a desk. So i usually sit in the livingroom in the sofa or in the kitchen working.

If i really need peace and quiet i go to the town library and sits there and use their free WiFi. Sometimes i sit outside, but even tho i have a pre unibody MBP i find the reflections disturbing on the glossy screen and i don´t want to go at full brightness to save batterylife...

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

me too! lol. can't concentrate much if i'm on the couch and having my lappy there..jus a bad mix for me lol. i do oldfashion: chair, desk, laptop**, textbooks, and a mouse. =) also a cup of water =D

10. mansanas macrumors regular

reasons why i have a laptop and not a desktop

1. i like how i can use it on my bed/couch
    2. i can take it to work.
    3. i hate wires and all the dust a desktop collects in my room

11. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I am the same with studying Japanese so I hit starbucks. I play games and avoid working at a desk so I try to get mobile. I also rarely surf at my desk, all the sofa baby.

12. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

it's funny ... for some, me included sitting at a formal desk feels too structured somehow, lol.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For some reason I'm the opposite. I like to sit down to a nice desk/setup with a big external monitor (using dual monitor mode) to get work done. I feel unorganized when I'm out somewhere else in an unfamiliar place/atmosphere, especially on a tiny 13" screen and hunched over giving me neck cramps.

14. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I can't study when I have my laptop in clamshell mode on the 20" monitor at my desk...when I get to the library with no mouse I just study away really hard. Minor distraction of facebook though

15. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Mostof my recent use with my MacBook has been either leisure or work, however whenever work needs to get done I can't help but leave the house and enter a library or starbucks, which overflows with a learning style environment.

At home there are too many distractions.

Once I remember typing an essay on my MacBook in my car, as it was too noisy at home to do some really studying.

16. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Cool, I have the same nice set up, Mac Pro Dual ACD's, beautiful desk and office in my home and my work....

What am I typing on now? My 13" MBP lol. I enjoy going all over the place with it, right now I'm on the couch in my big screen tv room, catching up on work emails, surfing a few forums, it's great. I get bored sitting up in my office working and working ... soon as I step out I feel less pressure and get more done.

17. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

When I'm home, I love to use my MBP either on my bed or out on the deck. At school, I do all my work on the bed, my desk is too plain and dull to study. :cool:

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I have my MBP on a stand connected to my 2 external HDs and speaker system, along with a keyboard, mouse and second display, my laptop is more of a desktop than my desktop was...

It's just nice to be able to pickup that "desktop" and be able to go wherever and get work done. Can't do that with a 27" iMac :p

19. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

There is just something about sitting at the front of a huge monitor (32" in my case) that makes me want to do anything but work.

I do 90% of my work on my laptop and away from my desk. Although I rarely ever take my MBP outside, I love the freedom to move about the house, sitting, reclining, and changing to any position that feels most comfortable. For this reason, and the fact that Apple will just not release an expandable headless Mac below the Mac Pro, I will stay with MacBooks.

20. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's funny but for me I have the opposite issue, I am able to better concentrate on work at my desk.

21. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I like the freedom to go anywhere within the wireless range or to wherever there is a wireless connection. (IE. someone's house.) It's so nice to be "unattached" after x amount of years of being "wired up" nearly every day (not from being on a desktop, btw, or stationary because we had to be wired up.)

It's pretty much all about the comfort. :) I used to have to sit and squirm if I sat at a computer for a little while.

22. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Reasons why I have a MBP:

1. I'm in college, my desk is small so I have no room for a desktop.
    2. Good enough for the occasional/long session of LoL or HoN (SC2 in 1 week!!!!!!!!!!)
    3. I take it to class
    4. I can do work when not at my desk
    5. I really like MBPs
    6. 500GB HDD

I just really like laptops, especially MBPs.

23. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

My work capabilities are evenly matched between working on a desk and on the go.

24. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

I use my MBP to do work which I know I will be taking with me. I enjoy being able to work on something and suddenly just close the lid pull the power and be on my way out. No need to save the file to a USB drive, load the file fresh and continue or making sure the person I am meeting has the software to run the file. For other work that won't be leaving the house I use the PC desktop.

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is exactly what I do... Plus, my room is too messy to move my rolling chair at my desk, so i just sit on my bed and work... With my 13" MBP of course...