revyaanshu

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
I have a xs max 256gb that I bought on launch day. Do not see a reason to upgrade. Its still very fast. Does everything I want it to... Has a big oled screen, decent cameras, looks current. Would like a better battery life but it's manageable. Capacity is still at 89%.

And with ios14, it'll be as good as a new device. Will probably go for one of the 2021 iphones.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What device do you have, and why are you not planning on upgrading?

I am thinking of buying an SE 2020 and just sticking with that for at least a year or so.. cheap, affordable and does the job.

Got an iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB and I am very happy with it, battery life is incredible and camera really versatile so I see no reason to upgrade, not for at least another 12-18months.

I’m most looking forward to the 3nm based smartphones.

I also recently got a 2020 iPad Pro 11”, so I am just going to sit back and enjoy my current devices.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I have an XS max with 256gb, also with 89% health. I'll keep this phone for another year unless apple reduces the bezels/bigger phone along with a better display. But probably wont happen.

Devin Breeding

macrumors regular
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I have a Pixel 3a XL. Will remain away from Apple until Apple finally decides that the fugly camera bump is no longer a design feature and gets rid of it. My previous phone, which I used as my primary phone from 2015 to 2019, is a 6s+.

My thought is they assume most people use a case. I really like the SE 2016 form but my iPhone 11 with a case sits just as flat. If it means putting a better camera in it, I’m all for it. My iPhone 11 completely replaced my need for my DSLR (sold it) which has much more of a camera bump than a phone.

to answer OP question, technically I did update this year 😉

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
My thought is they assume most people use a case.
That's kind of the rub isn't it?

In the past, Apple has stated that they design the device aesthetically to be used without a case. Yet, most people assume a case will be used.

I belabor the point on MR a lot simply because I do not use cases. I imagine that in a fantasy world where the device would flawlessly survive ground zero detonation of a Tsar Bomba, people would still use a case.

Anyway, that's my sticking point. We'll see how many years it takes for Apple to abandon this as a design element.

Barry Forshaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018

In the past, Apple has stated that they design the device aesthetically to be used without a case. Yet, most people assume a case will be used.

I belabor the point on MR a lot simply because I do not use cases. I imagine that in a fantasy world where the device would flawlessly survive ground zero detonation of a Tsar Bomba, people would still use a case.

Anyway, that's my sticking point. We'll see how many years it takes for Apple to abandon this as a design element.

Yeah, I used all my iPhones up to and including the 4S without a case. With the 6 onwards I had to use a case because the curved side made it harder for me to hold onto.

I’d love them to return to the flat iPhones with squared off edges so I could go ceaseless again.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
11 Pro - keep phones at least 2 years and don't see a reason not to. Not that I'm disappointed in rumors of what new phone will be but just aren't features that I really use.

Devin Breeding

macrumors regular
May 2, 2020
Conway SC

Maybe the design team learned through studies that a large majority of people use a case so they can get away with things like a camera hump. That and Steve Jobs would've never let current designs stand. If all phones were built like a droid turbo 2, maybe that would change.

As long as phones are made of glass, I’ll use one and therefore a camera hump doesn't matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.