Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am debating on upgrading from my 8 plus. to the 11 pro max or waiting for the 12. I am nervous that the phones may be rushed and have build issues with some hardware. Not that it doesn't happen often. Just wondering if in these times the quality control will be the same. I am sure I am wrong, but it just sits in the back of my head. Also adopt to first generation 5g which could be buggy? At this point it might make sense to wait but just lingering things in my head

Of course never say never but I don’t share your concerns on this. Production is probably back on track for a while and 5G is not brand new either. We should be fine. :)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m not planning on upgrading actually planning on downgrading. Since I am home most of the time now I’ve realize my iPhone 12 Pro is very much overkill. I’m hoping that they don’t strip too many features from the 12 this year compared to the pro because the smaller form factor seems perfect to me.

So glad you have the 12 already! ;)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Lol, you do know that you can transfer your current Apple care to your new iPhone 12. Just a thought haha 😆
Although it's not stated in the Applecare+ terms and conditions, it would only be true within the first 30 days after the original device purchase. It would, in effect, be a cancellation of the original plan (which is allowed in the first 30 days) and repurchase of a plan for the new phone, so not really considered a transfer.

If you have an Apple legal agreement that states otherwise, it would be helpful to post it.

Here's the US Applecare+ for plans purchased after 7/15/2020:

Reactions: Apple_Robert

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I'm on the fence. The ripple effects of COVID has made me rethink my priorities, attitude towards consumerism, and financial goals (a new phone isn't going to impact this, but every little bit counts). I'm also not as much of an enthusiast as I once was. Do I need a new phone this fall? Not really. My X is doing just fine, and I could probably use it for another 2 years when I get the battery replaced. Might consider extending AC+, though that might also be a waste of $ at this point.

I've had the X since Nov. 2018 (got 256gb for $650 from Verizon) and it's a great phone. IF the rumors about a 5.4'' phone is true, that's the only one I'd consider upgrading to. I think a smaller device with a better camera is worth a look.

Who knows. Maybe the keynote will persuade me.

Reactions: bluecoast and xxray

cyberdocwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Wisconsin
Not upgrading. My 6S has a nice screen, works well, and features a sporty analog jack that works well with my noise cancelling headphones, stereo system, or the audio system in my vehicle. Outside of using it from time to time as a hotspot or getting driving directions, my phone is, well, a phone.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I’m using a 256GB iPhone X. My battery is at 80%. My plan is to buy a replacement battery and stick with my X for another year.

I have plenty of storage left and don’t plan to run out any time between now and next year.

It’s fast enough that I haven’t felt the need to get anything faster.

It has great cameras that still hold up well.

It’s FaceID is fast enough.

My previous upgrade was 6+ to X. It was such a large jump in features and performance that it was well worth it. I haven’t seen that kind of advancement since. The iPhone 12 feels like a first step towards bringing that feeling back, but nothing sounds like it’s up to par for my expectations of a new phone. At least nothing that convinced me it’s worth ditching my X at this point in time.

So my plan is to upgrade in 2021 with iPhone 12S/13.

4 years of performance and hardware improvements between my X and the 2021 iPhone sounds pretty sweet to me.

Reactions: KrazyBear15

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
120 rate on a small device like an iPhone is nothing more than a tech spec. And a lot of people will, or already have convinced themselves, that they can’t have a phone without it. Many convince themselves they can tell a difference with not having it. 120 rate is a good marketing tool that will help to sell a lot of new phones.

And many have convinced themselves to keep shoveling cash to Apple yearly no matter what rehash device they release- because fruit logo status symbol. Point?

That is EXACTLY why Apple does it- complacency. It is not to "protect users from themselves" that's a laugh. You dont think they could do what Samsung does and ship it at 60hz with a display toggle just like the leaked screenshots show? The very same basic setting list for display where you change your display brightness, text size and light dark mode? But only this is "too hard" for people? With the same BIG bold popup warning when flipped on THIS WILL LESSEN YOUR BATTERY LIFE. The user can then choose to use locked at 60hz or adaptive to 120. No harm no foul to anyone it ships 60 and if you dont know what it is dont have to mess with it.

The reality is that it is because they can reuse the same parts, save money, and make more profits. The current Pro Max OLED per the BOM only costs Apple $67. If that is $80-90 for 120hz panels that is a LOT of $15-20 bills times tens of millions of phones saved; could be half a billion dollars in Apple's pocket saved even if they only sold 30 million 12 Pro series.

It's money and profits, nothing more. Dont kid yourself here that offering more feature choice (that you have zero obligation to use) on a device labeled as "pro" is bad. The tech is all out there in the consumer market; its not new/novel or experimental still at this stage.

Last edited:

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
I have the 11 Pro and love the 5.8" form factor. It's an amazing phone. I will probably wait and see how light the 6.1" Pro is compared to the 11 Pro before deciding. And I'll be curious about the battery life this year as last year was a huge leap.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Spike77777

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Utah
I'm planning to go another year with my OG SE, has 128gb so plenty of storage.

I will see how well the official iOS 14 release runs and also physically compare the size to the 5.4" 12 to see if it's worth upgrading then.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I always upgrade to take full advantage of the latest technologies and experiences. This year will be no different. If you love Apple, you should be rockin' the current flagship iPhone.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I think it is too early for me to say. I am going to wait until the announcement for the watch and phone before I make a decision.
Yea and rumors just bounce back and forth every day, so there is no way to know what is true until the official announcement. All I know for sure is if I do upgrade, it will be one of the Pros.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I am not. Used to upgrade every year, but not doing so until Apple reverses some of their consumer unfriendly policies. (xcloud primarily)

currently have 11Pro max

Last edited:

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I'm tempted by the 5.4" iPhone 12. Since I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro, that's technically a downgrade of sorts, but I really like the smaller form factor.

logics8

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Got the XS Max back on launch and was looking forward to upgrading this year, but with everything going on I won't be able to make use of the upgraded features so I can hold out another year.

abmagfab

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
iPhone 11 Pro Max - definitely upgrading to whatever the 12 turns out to be. I’m a gadget person and this is my one guaranteed annual gadget purchase.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
My wife and I both have xs’s. The poor cell reception is getting more and more bothersome for my wife. So we may upgrade if the modems are better with 5g. Plus I hate the 6-11 design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.