Anyone not upgrading to 4S due to battery issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Seems like some conflicting reports about battery life. It has given me some pause and my upgrade is next month. Just curious if anyone else now seriously reconsidering...

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, I'm still going to upgrade time permitting.

3. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Nope. Antennagate scared me from the 4 and I've been regretting being stuck with the 3GS for another year. Go boldly forth.

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

There's nothing wrong with the hardware. It's iOS 5 and certain settings that may cause some faster than usual battery drain.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

That'd be silly. Yes, some people seem to be having troubles, but the volume seems small in terms of four million iPhone 4S units sold.

Buy from Apple and use the 14 day return period to check it out.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What Battery problems are you talking about? I've been using my phone all day; heavy use, and I'm at 45 percent.

7. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

8. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

People complain about the battery because they constantly use the phone.

9. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I'm getting pretty similar battery usage as my 3GS. It's either an iOS 5 issue and somehow something is left running or there maybe some bad batteries, when you make millions of them you're bound to have some bum parts. Either way it will get fixed if there is a problem.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

did you look at the graphs?

The battery life is within ~10% of the 4. This is well within the variation that batteries have anyway. This report is a joke made by clueless people claiming to be experts.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Wrong. Look around, and stop spreading fud. People are losting 20%+ while they sleep, losing 30% or more in less than two hours. There is a definite problem with *some* phones. Mine's not one of them thankfully.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

People are so paranoid. The same idiots that refused to buy the 4 because of the big deal they made out of the antenna are the same people wondering about the battery of the 4S. These "wait and see" people that never tried the phone themselves and have nothing to go on but every nitpick written on the internet. I used the 4 for the past 16 months and no "antenna problem" ever hindered me from using it. just like no "battery problem" is going hinder me from using the 4S. Cut the cord and jump in headfirst the waters great ;)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've not paid a lot of attention to those threads. Has it been conclusively determined the problems are physical problems with the phones themselves and not related to some apps running into compatibility issues with iOS 5?

Just curious, since with Google Voice having iOS 5 issues as well as WSJ (crashes on my phone when trying to login), I wonder what other apps have problems and whether any of them inadvertently pull heavily on the battery?

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

1. No one claimed to be experts.

2. There was no report. People just noticed they had lost significantly more battery than what they expected or compared to the iPhone 4 for whatever reason (hardware, constant use, software optimization)

3. The forum is a place for people to get feedback from the community, so naturally everyone having this problem would chime in.

16. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I can upgrade now but I'm going to wait a month so they can work out some bugs and the lines die down a little

James

17. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Every iPhone release, almost every release of a new iOS has these exact same threads.

18. cerisier macrumors member

The battery issue (or not?) definitely isn't keeping me from upgrading, just my upgrade date... which is the 23rd. I'm coming from an old Android device, so anything would be an improvement at this point.

19. Jmclark macrumors regular

Luckily my upgrade date is mid-November, so I have time to wait this out and see if it is still an issue or not.

20. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Battery is lasting me two days of fairly aggressive use. Seems exactly the same as my iPhone 4 is. It's all being blown out of proportion.

21. BiscuitsNGravy macrumors member

It seemed to drain fast on the first day. But it is doing fine after having a few charging cycles. Comparable to my 3GS.

22. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

what battery issues ? i have 7 hours i buy on Friday and charged it today

23. gloryunited macrumors 6502

I was gonna say, perhaps a few charging cycles (or calibration) will alleviate the problem?

24. andiwm2003, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

1. if you edit a post then don't edit it out of context.

2. if you edit a post that you quote then indicate that you edited it

3. I obviously referred to the claimed lower battery life by iLounge (on the front page) who claim to be experts

4. I never said people can not chime in. However the iLounge report is useless.

5. The OP referred to "battery life" and that is what I was talking about. Losing battery overnight is a different problem that I did not talk about.

6. Learn how to properly quote others.

25. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, I've been on every iteration of iPhone. I did have the anntena issue with the iphone4. However, it want that big a deal for me. HOWEVER, my first full day of use with the 4S has illustrated terrible battery life.

I took it off the charger @ 11:00am. By 3:00pm, I was down to 60%. By 8:00pm I was down to 20%.

At this rate, it will not last me a full day. This will be a deal breaker for me. I love the phone, but it is going down way faster than my iPhone4.

Engadget just performed a camera contest and they said the 4S was down to 20% whereas the iP4 was at 52%.

I'm glad many aren't having this problem. But I am! I've even closed all apps & restarted the device. My plan is to wait 5 days to get some charging cycles to see if it improves. If not, I'll do a clean I stall and add 1 app at a time.

As it is now, this battery is not good in my phone!