Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Prise

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Visual Voice mail when listening through the ear piece comes out at a very high bit rate like its missing base. Definitely weird sounding. Put it on speaker and it sounds almost normal. And of course all other calls are fine as etc etc.

This is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed on someone's end. I think ATT'S.

ANYONE?

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
um i certainly have not noticed this at all. it sounds pretty clear to me.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If you mean the iPhone's "receiver", mine sounds pretty much the same whether I'm using it or the speaker.

A higher bit rate would give higher quality, if anything.

sacsig

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Yeah, I noticed this on my phone. The voicemail quality definitely sounds different from the call quality. It sounds like a really compressed recording without the whole tonal range. I think it might be because the messages might be stored on the phone in a very compressed format, whereas with other types of phones the message are stored on the carrier's sever.. Just a thought.

Kev1000000

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Yea, its because the iPhone actually downloads the messages from AT&T and stores them on the phone itself. And because EDGE is slow, the files must be very small, hence the compression.

bb0ys

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2003
Sounds like garbage

The audio quality of a visual voice mail, when compared to the same voice mail message as heard through the "old fashioned" method, is poor. I would imagine that this is due to the choice of compression done before the audio message is sent to the iPhone. I imagine improvements could be made to the audio quality w/out a significant increase in file size by compressing the audio file differently.

Anyone know if voice mail message audio files have been copied from the iPhone to a computer and what their typical size is?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I paid a bit more attention to the quality today, and think I heard what you're hearing. It's highly compressed, making for a very narrow audio bandwidth, i.e. "tinny". As mentioned in other posts, this is most likely because the audio is actually downloaded to the iPhone, instead of residing on their server. I'll take the compromise of having instant, random access, to VM, as opposed to the dial-in method. I imagine, there will be some tweaking to the encoding, combined with improvements to EDGE (at least, higher average bit rates), which will give us better audio quality. This is still pretty new stuff. The quality is very acceptable.

The Prise

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
word im glad people are hearing what ive been hearing. I think over time. a very short period of time this will be upgraded to a better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.