iPhone XS Max Anyone noticing MAX display is dim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kp98077, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

i know coming from an x a larger display would be more dim, but with brightness all way up and True Tone on, it’s pretty dim as compared to the x..... any ideas here ?

2. pst23 macrumors 6502a

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

i just posted this too. my xs is much more dim than the x

4. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502

kp98077

Compared to ?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2018 ---
    Yeah it’s strange. Kinda nice. Kinda annoying lol

5. off_piste macrumors 6502a

The one I tried in Best Buy yesterday was blindingly bright.

6. TrumpWon! macrumors member

Idk in my opinion my Xs max with brightness all the way up and trutone on is very bright. I don’t have a problem with it.

7. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Mine looks great... no issues with it being "dim" I just think when we get new phones the display's naturally going to be a bit different than previous phones and some of us notice it more so than others.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sitting in my house I never checed the brightness on my MAX. It has been more than bright enough and it is at about 33% brightness. Not an issue for me.

9. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

No it's not. Next.

10. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502

kp98077

Also I’m noticing this outdoors more -

11. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Compared to my X, very similar. Not dim at all.

12. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

I haven’t even looked at where my brightness is set. It’s been fine in the dark, ambient light, daylight, direct sunlight, bright indoor light.... all conditions for me.

13. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I was at a high school football game and the lights were shining right now on top of us... dumb design for a stadium... but my display looks great... We shouldn't have to look all the time to see how bright our display is set... auto should take care of that for us based on the ambient light around us.

14. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Agreed. I let auto brightness take care of itself on my 8 Plus. Never once had to make a manual adjustment. I would be seriously concerned and ready to do an exchange if I was experiencing issues with it on my Max.

15. S Khan macrumors newbie

XS Max vs iPhone 6S PLUS

Attached Files:

16. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Restored from X backup, looks exactly the same. Get a new one OP.

17. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

Mine is comparable to my 7 Plus. I don't really see a difference.

18. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Is your concern the warm screen vs the blue screen on your 6s Plus? Because otherwise, the 6s screen looks dimmer from the pic you posted.

Either way, if it’s off to you, go for an exchange.

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

The display on my Max is not as bright as the one on my husband’s exact same color and model Max when set to the same settings. But I wouldn’t call it dim. It’s very easy on my eyes, not as harshly contrasting. It does get bright enough for me to see it in all environments so far.

20. hqt5009 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue. My xs is dimmer than my iphone 7 plus when doing side by side comparison....I think I will go for an exchange.

21. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Mine is definitely dimmer overall than my 8+ and even with True Tone on both, they look TOTALLY different. The 8+ has a whiter blue shade, the Xs Max has a much more not yellow, but less white hue.

22. MichaelColley macrumors member

Last year, had the same problem, "Why is my brand new X dimmer than an average phone?"

Go into settings, General, accessibility, Display accommodations, and turn off reduced dark points.

Sometimes when restoring your phone from a previous backup it gets settings wrong.

Such as this year when I restored my XS Max for some reason there was a contrast setting applied which I had not set before.

23. powersurge macrumors regular

I saw a post on another forum that mentioned the possibility that apple is using more than one manufacturer for the max screens and that’s the reason for the brightness discrepancy but I have no idea. It will be interesting to see comparisons when the XR comes out. Lower res, no hdr, but maybe brighter and better battery life?

24. MichaelColley macrumors member

No Apple is considering it, They are still only using Samsung displays this year, Please read the articles carefully before spreading false info.

25. powersurge macrumors regular

Yeah I hope your right and it’s just settings being borked. I’m waiting on reviews of the XR but I’m tempted by the max. Currently phoneless (except for *gasp* a landline) but rocking a iPad Air 2 (still runs great on iOS 12) and it would be nice to just roll tablet and phone duties back into one device since I don’t really need stylus support.